Celebrity Death: Mac Miller, 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I've never experienced true loss so this hit me the hardest (Chester Bennington's and X's deaths previously were the worst).
I felt as if I grew up with Mac Miller though, from Frick Park Market to Faces to Swimming I've watched him and myself mature. I really didn't like him when he first came up on the scene but I started to relate more to him as he developed. I just finished class and scrolled through Twitter on my way to my car and had to stop for about a half an hour when I saw the news. Really depressing, RIP
I also suggest everyone check out Diablo or New Faces (Earl and Da$h) by him.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
21 years younger then me

I hadn't heard much of his recent because mostly I ignored him but this is really damn good. It just makes me so sad for the kid, don't think there's a location in any of his PGH-shot videos that I can't identify. He was a kid, roughly my age, riding a damn rocketship but unable to beat his brain at its own game.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Can't really say I know his music but it sucks to lose someone so young. We share birthdays (2 years older than Mac) so this young death hits home even more personally.

RIP

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Comes in 3's... Burt, Mac, ...I am guessing the Queen or Madonna.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Man this f***ing sucks. It's been a strange year with some weird, unexpected deaths within music. Avicii dying hit me really hard, that one is going to sting for a long time. X died and while I didn't care for him the way he was brutally murdered in broad daylight was pretty twisted.

This is just sad though, I wasn't a massive Mac fan by any means but he had some talent and by all accounts he was a super nice and goofy guy, nobody really has a bad thing to say about him besides that he needed to lay off the drugs.

I feel bad for Ariana Grande too, first the terrorist incident at her concert and now this, and of course lowlife scumbags brigading her Instagram / Tweeting at her saying she was the reason for Mac's death.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Crazy stuff. I used to listen to him back in high school a lot. Him Currensy and Wiz Khalifa were mine and my buddies stoner playlists for a while there. It’s crazy to see how respected he was in not only the rap game but the music industry in general. Young up and comers to huge stars to OGs in the rap game. Elton John did a song as a tribute the other day and all of Pittsburgh sports twitters were giving him shout outs.

Crazy

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
It's not Ariana Grande's fault but her moving on to someone else may have triggered him into going further into his addictions.

So sad. Been listening to his stuff since I found out. I haven't checked out much of his newer stuff but his older stuff, like most of what's been in this thread, is so easy to listen to.

RIP

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Thing that pisses me off about it all is how for the moment it happened all you saw was "Y'all better not be blaming Ariana for this!!" "Ariana isn't a babysitter" when nobody was. Seems like such a f***ed up passive aggressive way to take a stand. I've seen far more posts about "Ariana has gone through so much", than I do any idiot blaming her. Taking the focus off the real issue.

Anyway, this song broke my heart today. Mac's ode to his Mom the whole 6 year old thing hit me if my son ever did something like this for me turning 6 next week, and now his Mom lost her boy:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Thing that pisses me off about it all is how for the moment it happened all you saw was "Y'all better not be blaming Ariana for this!!" "Ariana isn't a babysitter" when nobody was. Seems like such a ****ed up passive aggressive way to take a stand. I've seen far more posts about "Ariana has gone through so much", than I do any idiot blaming her. Taking the focus off the real issue.

Anyway, this song broke my heart today. Mac's ode to his Mom the whole 6 year old thing hit me if my son ever did something like this for me turning 6 next week, and now his Mom lost her boy:

She was actually shitted on by a lot of people via social media. I'm sure she's grieving his loss a lot. People blaming her is only salt in the wound. It's f***ed up.

Reactions: BonMorrison

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I feel your pain brother, lost my best friend July 28 2017 from the same thing. Spoke to him the night before and he wanted to meet up, I could tell he was partying hard, so told him I was on my way, and I never showed up. Still think about him almost every day.
Sorry to read that, man. I hadn't seen my friend in years, but we were inseparable throughout grade school and some of middle school. We'd catch up every now and then throughout high school and adulthood. It still hit me hard, tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasonleaffan

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Seeing my classmates (Class of 2010) drop one by one to drug addiction really hits hard, but seeing a Pittsburgh music icon succumb to the same vice was really hard for me to handle. I always admired Mac for his happy-go-lucky attitude and his self-made style., but knew he struggled with addiction, especially once he reached the next level of fame.

Mac was a great person and was really making moves to give back to the community that raised him. It's a tragedy around the city and we're going to miss him a lot. :(

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've never experienced true loss so this hit me the hardest (Chester Bennington's and X's deaths previously were the worst).
I felt as if I grew up with Mac Miller though, from Frick Park Market to Faces to Swimming I've watched him and myself mature. I really didn't like him when he first came up on the scene but I started to relate more to him as he developed. I just finished class and scrolled through Twitter on my way to my car and had to stop for about a half an hour when I saw the news. Really depressing, RIP
I also suggest everyone check out Diablo or New Faces (Earl and Da$h) by him.

I feel the same way, man. I am the same age as Mac and from the same city. When he was coming out I was in my wild college years, drinking, smoking, partying and all the stuff. I really vibed with Mac because that was a lot of what he was about. I saw him with Wiz when he was starting out and he was so pure. As we both got older we began to mature and develop, his style changed as well as my interests and values. It's a shame to see him go so early, it really feels like I lost a bit of my early 20s self.

Reactions: Lays

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
That’s depressing, especially with the way he’s spoken of this exact fear and issue in the past.
Rest easy Mac.
Nothing like standing on the tracks watching the light of the train coming knowing what it is but not thinking to get out of the way.

This drug epidemic is getting ridiculous, and given how far flung it is the fact this country can't do more than wring its hands at it is frustrating. We need to go back to basics - drug use plunged in the 80s with Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" campaign. It was so simple it was a target for ridicule, but it stuck with kids and worked. Clinton comes in saying he "didn't inhale" while laughing about it, the anti-drug messages largely dried up, and drug use (according to government statistics at the time) tripled within 2 years of him taking office. So the powers that be need to look at EVERYTHING that changed in those two years to cause that spike and start finding ways to address it to put a lid on this problem that's negatively affecting almost everyone in the country at this point, either because they're addicted, have a loved one who is (or was and died from it), or have been a victim in some way of an addict.

Reactions: Voight

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
This drug epidemic is getting ridiculous, and given how far flung it is the fact this country can't do more than wring its hands at it is frustrating. We need to go back to basics - drug use plunged in the 80s with Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" campaign. It was so simple it was a target for ridicule, but it stuck with kids and worked. Clinton comes in saying he "didn't inhale" while laughing about it, the anti-drug messages largely dried up, and drug use (according to government statistics at the time) tripled within 2 years of him taking office. So the powers that be need to look at EVERYTHING that changed in those two years..

My opinion, the Clinton years were a cultural turning point bcuz Baby Boomers were getting to an age of full empowerment. So many Baby Boomers were recreational drug users, they had little to no moral authority to denounce drug use. It's been a slippery slope since..
I appreciate your post, and mourn my own friends & family I've lost to drug use (in one form or another).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad