Maatta

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yep.

We have an 8th overall invested in Pouliot, not to mention we gave Staal up and that pick was a big part of the value.

Joe Morrow may be our most physically gifted prospect.

Beau Bennett is our only quality wing prospect.

Simon Despres is our most NHL ready prospect and has a unique combination of size, speed, physicality and offense.

Ideally we shouldn't move those 4.

Dumoulin, Harrington etc. are good prospects but probably don't have as high of a ceiling as Despres, Morrow and Pouliot. Maatta to me is the middle ground between the two groups. He probably has more upside than Harrington and Dumoulin if he pans out so he is quality but he's also more expendable than the top 4 prospects Bennett, Morrow, Despres and Pouliot. I think he is the best quality, high upside prospect we can offer.

I agree with this, Maatta is the bridge between those two groups, he's neither here nor there and because of that, I think people are ok with moving him in a deal. Because you lose him, we still have Dumoulin and Harrington as solid defensive defensemen but then we have Pouliot and Morrow as well and then the guys that aren't mentioned that could develop into something more, or hey, maybe something less.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
How is it not valid? You basically said yourself his draft status has a bearing on his trade value. I never said the kid was untouchable. I said ideally he's one of the 4 we'd hang onto especially since there's still quality beyond those 4 to use as trade bait.

Yes, he is supposed to have higher value than someone drafted 22nd, for instance. The further you get from the draft, the less draft position matters. We are still close, hence his top10 pedigree is still a big factor when defining his value.

But what I said was that him being picked where/when he was, and him being part of the Staal deal.... that has or should have no significance by itself. They are not valid reasons, or indeed reasons altogether.
Only the return should matter - weighed against our managements expectations of what Pouliot can/should become for us.

It is a pet peeve for me to say that the sentimental factors in drafts are and should be irrelevant. I said the same when people argued that Staal wouldn't/shouldn't be dealt because he was the first pick Shero ever made for the Pens.

I otherwise agree with your post, and I assume we could also say that Pouliot has a higher ceiling than most the other top prospects we have. I think a lot of that is something people assume on the strength of his draft position though, because at this point in time I still consider him a big time reach.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
You would be hard pressed to get a similar ranged first for him in next year's draft. That is no knock on him or what he has done since the draft. But more on the fact that prospects, even 'name' ones have fairly limited trade value in most cases. It is only when they take the ice and do something that their value goes significantly up. We have heard of Despres for years now for instance. But once he took the ice this year and did well, his value likely doubled. Bort as well. Right now, Maatta has extremely limited value. Sure he could be part of a package, but a pretty minor part. We would be better off developing him and trading him if he shows something on the Pens like Despres did.

I think Maatta is probably very similar to Rundblad (better defensively, not as strong offensively) in draft/name pedigree, and he was moved in bigger deals twice before ever "taking the ice."

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
we don't like dem dere Uropeens on dat dere ice.

Or, basically, echoing what others have said: to many he is the most expendable in a deep pool of talented prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad