Maatta

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Why is he in EVERY proposal on this site??? Shero JUST drafted him...why would he trade him? Could that be his thought to draft a prospect just to package him in a deal? I think not

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hes just the one people see with the least value , not that people don't like him. And that's just as of right now. It could easily be someone else by this time next year( assuming we hung onto all of these guys)

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Who else are we going trade to get a winger? It would be outright stupid to break up the core we have right now at the pro level.

fultonreed44

Sep 23, 2010
Brooklyn
Also think about when St. Louis traded Rundblad (drafted only a year before I think) for the 16th pick a couple years ago and drafted Tarasenko. Maybe similar value since Maataa was 22nd pick

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
I think people just don't value him as much because he doesn't really have an identity. For example, we all know Morrow and Pouliot are the offensive guys who are good on the PP. every one likes Despres cuz he's already in the NHL and doing great, and Harrington and Dumoulin are the great defensive guys. Maatta doesn't have one standout category, he's decent at everything. So he's thrown into the proposals. It's not that he's the worse or that people think he will be a bust.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I really think maata and harrington are the darkhorses to become #1 defencemen. For harrington, the defencive gae is there, if he could get just a little more physical and develop his offensive game he'll be great. For Maata he is already a 2-way defencemen, has great composure, just needs so start making better decisions and improve both defenceively and offencively

Penguinzilla*

From what I saw in the games I watched, he looks like he has way more potential than Harrington. His positioning is great. If he can get stronger, he'll be a beast.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
You gotta give to get

Yep.

We have an 8th overall invested in Pouliot, not to mention we gave Staal up and that pick was a big part of the value.

Joe Morrow may be our most physically gifted prospect.

Beau Bennett is our only quality wing prospect.

Simon Despres is our most NHL ready prospect and has a unique combination of size, speed, physicality and offense.

Ideally we shouldn't move those 4.

Dumoulin, Harrington etc. are good prospects but probably don't have as high of a ceiling as Despres, Morrow and Pouliot. Maatta to me is the middle ground between the two groups. He probably has more upside than Harrington and Dumoulin if he pans out so he is quality but he's also more expendable than the top 4 prospects Bennett, Morrow, Despres and Pouliot. I think he is the best quality, high upside prospect we can offer.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah the reason nobody wants to trade pouliot is the fact we took him 8th overall, which most of us are still pissed about. Trading him now would not get what value he could return later on , not to mention I'm just very curious to see what the pens fell in love with by taking him over forsberg.

Also, if we took maata at 8 and pouliot at 22 .....Derrick would probably be the guy in all of the proposals. Just how it goes

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's at a position of strength and as a prospect he's rather unsexy. Not overly big or physical or highly skilled. And despite all that he's probably a very recognizable name amongst scouts and GMs and would probably have decent trade value.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
From seeing them both play. I would say that both Maata and Harrington are as close to untouchable prospects in this organization. I trust Shero to be smart enough to hang on to both and look for alternate assets to move if the right deal comes along.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
You also don't trade Pouliot because he's still a few years away and the logjam will be hitting before then. Someone in the group closer to making the NHL will probably be moved because of the numbers game. By the time Pouliot is knocking on the door the logjam should be a lot more settled.

IMO Harrington is the one to definitely keep because he projects as no worse than a top 4 shutdown guy. There's a good chance he could be doing what Martin is doing now (minus the offense) in two years for $4 million less.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Yep.

We have an 8th overall invested in Pouliot, not to mention we gave Staal up and that pick was a big part of the value.

These are not valid reasons. Just saying. Him being an 8th overall should still have bearing on his trade value, but if the appropriate return is there it should matter zip when and where he was drafted.

The only reason to even consider Pouliot among those we probably shouldn't touch, is that he is the only natural PP QB in the system. And no, Morrow isn't one either. He is a blue line gunner (and a lot more) which we also need, but not the player a PP runs through.

member 51464

Is Harrington still on pace to be a Studly McStudly-Pants at the pro level? It seems like all I read about the dude is positive these days. I don't want to get too excited though.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
These are not valid reasons. Just saying. Him being an 8th overall should still have bearing on his trade value, but if the appropriate return is there it should matter zip when and where he was drafted.

The only reason to even consider Pouliot among those we probably shouldn't touch, is that he is the only natural PP QB in the system. And no, Morrow isn't one either. He is a blue line gunner (and a lot more) which we also need, but not the player a PP runs through.
How is it not valid? You basically said yourself his draft status has a bearing on his trade value. I never said the kid was untouchable. I said ideally he's one of the 4 we'd hang onto especially since there's still quality beyond those 4 to use as trade bait.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
He's at a position of strength and as a prospect he's rather unsexy. Not overly big or physical or highly skilled. And despite all that he's probably a very recognizable name amongst scouts and GMs and would probably have decent trade value.

Define decent trade value.

You would be hard pressed to get a similar ranged first for him in next year's draft. That is no knock on him or what he has done since the draft. But more on the fact that prospects, even 'name' ones have fairly limited trade value in most cases. It is only when they take the ice and do something that their value goes significantly up. We have heard of Despres for years now for instance. But once he took the ice this year and did well, his value likely doubled. Bort as well. Right now, Maatta has extremely limited value. Sure he could be part of a package, but a pretty minor part. We would be better off developing him and trading him if he shows something on the Pens like Despres did.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm ok with him in a trade proposal where adding him is fair, but he's in some trades where it's just ridiculous that the Pens even think about giving him up in a deal.

The Michael Ryder discussions was just so mind numbingly out of this world for me. The amount the Pens supposedly have to give up to get him makes you wonder if he's some scoring god, or hell, some bizarro world version of Marian Hossa.

If Maatta is traded, I am hoping it's for a guy Shero has a good shot of keeping around for more than a year.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
It doesn't Maatta why he's in trade proposals!

RockEyebrow.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad