Maatta to Chicago for Kahun, 5th round pick

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
And that has what to do with this trade again, on its merits?

Don't get me twisted, I don't want JJ on the team. But if Sully puts that pair together it's on him.

Who do you put him with? He sinks the second pairing and will make Gudbranson a negative too. You should scratch him but if he’s gonna be scratched you need to just buy him out.

As for what it has to do with the trade, if it was down to Maatta and JJ they traded the wrong guy. I was also being facetious.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I'm just hung up on the "OR" statement by JR. Him saying he had to trade Maatta OR JJ. Hopefully he meant AND But the return for Olli was quite good, so I'm hopeful something will be done with the D to improve it more.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And that has what to do with this trade again, on its merits?

Don't get me twisted, I don't want JJ on the team. But if Sully puts that pair together it's on him.

Yup. This is the actual problem with going into next season with JJ still on the roster. I could be fine with it... if I could trust the coaching staff to scratch him half the time and only play him minimal minutes on the bottom pairing kept the hell away from any line that is actually responsible for making anything important happen. But I don't. I don't trust them at all, really. After the last few years of trashbag lineup decisions, musical chairs and 5 man units that are more dysfunctional than holidays with my family... why would I?

People keep harping on the players and often rightfully so. But they aren't the only ones that should have to "prove it" next year. They aren't the only ones collecting their millions a little too casually. At least in my opinion.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yes, but part of that problem is you absolutely cannot have Johnson and Gudbranson as a pairing.

See I would way rather do that as a third pairing at 15 min a night or less than have JJ with Schultz again...horror show...worst case for me if JJ is still here is him playing second pair minutes or with Schultz...you can play JJ and Guds out against opposing teams’ fourth lines, and that assumes Petts can handle the top 4 role and minutes...if he can’t we’re screwed...the Pens can also insert Riikola for JJ depending on team or circumstance

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I'm just hung up on the "OR" statement by JR. Him saying he had to trade Maatta OR JJ. Hopefully he meant AND But the return for Olli was quite good, so I'm hopeful something will be done with the D to improve it more.

What i believe he meant was we AT LEAST had to trade one of Maatta or Johnson.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Im a bit late to this thread but I just wanted to come here and celebrate Johnny Drama style;

VICTORYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I would be fine with Gudbranson if he was expected to be a bottom pairing guy and was on a cheaper contract. However, his contract is that of a Top 4 guy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Do most top four defensemen make $4 million per year?

Yeah. Or at least, most of the 85 guys with a cap hit of 4m should be playing top 4, because I don't think there's much more than 35 ELC players in NHL top 4s. Certainly, it's a lot of money for a 5D and if you were doing a strict "Your TOI should match the ranking of your pay to be justified", 4m dmen should be logging 20 minutes or so.

But I think given NHL economics, that'd be an odd stance to take.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah. Or at least, most of the 85 guys with a cap hit of 4m should be playing top 4, because I don't think there's much more than 35 ELC players in NHL top 4s. Certainly, it's a lot of money for a 5D and if you were doing a strict "Your TOI should match the ranking of your pay to be justified", 4m dmen should be logging 20 minutes or so.

But I think given NHL economics, that'd be an odd stance to take.

I said that he is overpaid. But not by enough to worry overly much about. If he were making $3 million people would be fine. $2.5 million, not over the moon happy but pretty happy. I just am saying that he, and his salary, is toward the bottom if issues on this team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I said that he is overpaid. But not by enough to worry overly much about. If he were making $3 million people would be fine. $2.5 million, not over the moon happy but pretty happy. I just am saying that he, and his salary, is toward the bottom if issues on this team.

Fair - just I did the numbers, so I wanted to share.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think you have to put Johnson with Schultz.

You have to hope that Schultz can stay healthy and can carry that pairing. Pettersson and Gudbranson was actually a decent pairing for us, if Gudbranson can continue to play the way he did, I see no reason why that can't be arguably our second best pairing.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think you have to put Johnson with Schultz.

You have to hope that Schultz can stay healthy and can carry that pairing. Pettersson and Gudbranson was actually a decent pairing for us, if Gudbranson can continue to play the way he did, I see no reason why that can't be arguably our second best pairing.

Schultz is not good enough to do that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, my D pairs if we stay pat would be...

Dumo-Letang
Petts-Schultz
Riikola-Guds
with JJ rotating in for Riikola depending on the team, like a slower Western team...

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Honestly, as I said last year. If JJ is in the line-up...

JJ - Letang
Dumo - Schultz
Pettersson - Gudbranson.

And then we all complain about Letang.

Its 2019 and JJ and EG is part of a teams top 6. Shame on you GMJR.

Will hopefully soon forget that 2018-2019 penguins had JJ, EG and OM at the same time - and people wondered why Malkin/Kessel was stuck in the defensive zone for 9 months. People also blamed Letang, the guy finishing 6th in the Norris voting. Please lord, let me forget.

This said, Im not too worried by EG as of now. Its just that you cant have both JJ and EG at the same time, and JJ is one of the worst players in the entire league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad