Proposal: Maatta to Buffalo

skis

Jan 7, 2017
I'd give Määttä a healthy offseason for a change rather than trade him.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Has Maatta 's stock fallen that much?

On the surface a Nylander for Maatta trade makes lots of sense for Buffalo... To me at least.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd give Määttä a healthy offseason for a change rather than trade him.

He just had one. Pens can't be ****ing around for years on end. They have a few years to win. He's probably better off on a rebuilding team where there's less pressure on him to perform in the now.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Are you aware of how Sheary is producing? For a "meh LW", he's 12th in in the league in ES points and 15th in ES goals. For LWer's he's 2nd in ES goals and 5th in ES points in the league - and that's playing a dozen games less than some of the guys in front of him. So if that's "meh", I'm quite content with it! :laugh:
Look at my post again. I'm aware of the season Sheary is having. I'm also aware he's been playing with the best player in hockey, its no coincidence. It doesn't take away from my overall point that a LW group that consists of Hagelin, Kunitz, Guentzel, and Sheary isn't some superb group, and especially not with the best guy in that group in Sheary being out several weeks, but there's no need to debate this crap. It's really irrelevant to Olli Maatta, whom the thread is supposed to be about.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Has Maatta 's stock fallen that much?

On the surface a Nylander for Maatta trade makes lots of sense for Buffalo... To me at least.

I agree. I would trade Maatta for Nylander in this off season. Think it helps out both teams significantly given the expansion draft.

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
I agree. I would trade Maatta for Nylander in this off season. Think it helps out both teams significantly given the expansion draft.
It doesn't make sense for us, I don't think Maatta is an upgrade from a player like McCabe and there's no guarantee he'll work with our system, just look at what happened to Kulikov. Yes, he's been injured a lot, but he hasn't played too well when he's played.

Oh yeah, and there's no way I'd give up Nylander for McCabe V2. I really like McCabe, but Maatta isn't worth Nylander, maybe Bailey+3rd but not Nylander. Nylander can easily be just as good as his brother and I don't think too many Leafs fans would give up Will Nylander for a player like Maatta.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Given the developmental leaps McCabe makes each year, I wouldn't be surprised if Murray wouldn't trade him straight up for Maatta. I think there's a strong argument that he's Buffalo's best overall defenseman. In any event, he's not being traded. Adding Maatta would be dandy, but not at the expense of McCabe.

Better than Rasmus. I just stopped reading. That's silly.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Look at my post again. I'm aware of the season Sheary is having. I'm also aware he's been playing with the best player in hockey, its no coincidence. It doesn't take away from my overall point that a LW group that consists of Hagelin, Kunitz, Guentzel, and Sheary isn't some superb group, and especially not with the best guy in that group in Sheary being out several weeks, but there's no need to debate this crap. It's really irrelevant to Olli Maatta, whom the thread is supposed to be about.
At least you got one thing right. :laugh:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Maatta has been quite bad this year. Yes, I know how good he was before his injury.

I'm not quite sure he's going to rebound either. Yes I know he's 22, but he doesn't seem to be improving.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I don't agree that he's better but I think it's fair to say McCabe's skillset is harder to replace from within the organization. He's our best defensive defenseman.

Risto is better defensively.

Risto sucks at 2 on 1's, but overall he's solid in his own end.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He's not better defensively than McCabe. Jake is the superior player in the defensive zone. At least right now.

Yup, there is a reason Risto only has decent results in his current role when paired with McCabe.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Am I wrong?

As for McCabe vs Risto, I can't agree with you two at all on that, but we all watch the games, so I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, I'd say you're at least partially wrong. Maatta has had rough patches, but to say he has been bad all year isn't accurate.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
He's not better defensively than McCabe. Jake is the superior player in the defensive zone. At least right now.

*rolls eyes*

Prepares for spreadsheet analysis.

I'm pretty sure I was the most ardent McCabe supporter on the Sabres board for a while. During the offseason, half of the board was posting their upgrades for him, meanwhile I was telling you how he was going to have a shot at being our top LD. I was correct. That said, he is not better than Risto defensively. Good player, but the skill set is limited.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Yeah, I'd say you're at least partially wrong. Maatta has had rough patches, but to say he has been bad all year isn't accurate.

Okay maybe I'm catching him on the wrong nights.

But he definitely doesn't look as good as he did when he first broke into the league.

And it is interesting that there's a thread on the Pens board, entitled "Olli Maatta - what to do with him." Didn't bother to read it, but...

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Okay maybe I'm catching him on the wrong nights.

But he definitely doesn't look as good as he did when he first broke into the league.

And it is interesting that there's a thread on the Pens board, entitled "Olli Maatta - what to do with him." Didn't bother to read it, but...

I think it has something to do with the fact that at expansion time, they will have to expose one of Maatta, Dumolin(sp?), and Schultz if they want to go 7-3-1. And from what I hear, they want to go 7-3-1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad