Proposal: Maatta to Buffalo

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Since buffalo is looking for a LHD to play with Risto, and Maatta could use a change of scenery I feel like a deal between these two would be good. (Note: Its not like Maatta is a bad dman, he's actually very good defensively, it's just that he doesn't fit the system that Sullivan likes to play. As of now Maatta is 3/4 but he has the potential to be a #2 or even #1.)

To Pit: McCabe/Kulikov+
To Buf: Maatta

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Kulikov is a UFA that already makes more than Maatta. That doesn't make any sense. I'd trade Fleury for Kulikov though for a run at the Cup haha.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Given the developmental leaps McCabe makes each year, I wouldn't be surprised if Murray wouldn't trade him straight up for Maatta. I think there's a strong argument that he's Buffalo's best overall defenseman. In any event, he's not being traded. Adding Maatta would be dandy, but not at the expense of McCabe.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Isn't Kulikov not very good at this point? If the Penguins are trading Maatta, they need a top-4 LD back for him that fits the system better. I don't think the Sabres have a spare one of those (at least one they can trade for Maatta), seeing how they're constantly looking for a top-4 LD.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
The only "problem" with Maatta is his skating. And its only a "problem" relative to the system that the Pens play (ie. breakneck speed).

On a team that is a little less focused on speed, Maatta would shine .. as he did on the Pens before his cancer and mumps (which, contrary to popular belief, doesnt make him "injury prone").

Maatta is without a doubt a top 4 dman and would likely be a #3 on many teams.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I'd do Maatta for Kulikov & a 2nd because I think the players would fit better. Kulikov's speed would work well in Pittsburgh.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
But why would the Penguins do this? They're making a pretty huge downgrade (who's also a pending UFA) for only a 2nd round pick.

Well if you need money it could help you, more I'm just curious as to why Maatta was trade bait only a few months ago. Like people just wanted him gone.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Well if you need money it could help you, more I'm just curious as to why Maatta was trade bait only a few months ago. Like people just wanted him gone.

Because people have no patience for players recovering from injuries/illness, and because the Pens have a complicated decision to make wrt defense and the expansion draft.

I would rather they not trade Maatta personally.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Penguins fans on this site are a short sighted bunch to be honest :laugh:

He struggled at the start of the year, but he has turned it around at this point. I'm not concerned long term with him, he's only 22 after all. He needs to improve his explosiveness (his top end speed is fine, he just has an awful first step), but otherwise I don't have any concerns with him. A lot of the complaints with Maatta this year deal with him not being as good as he was in the past, not him being bad. Schultz's emergence also plays a factor in this due to the dumb expansion draft.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
After the season before the expansion draft maybe something around Maatta and Nylander? Rounds out Buffs top 4D and lets Pitt protect Letang, Dumoulin, Schultz.

Probably a small plus from Pitt

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Penguins fans on this site are a short sighted bunch to be honest :laugh:

He struggled at the start of the year, but he has turned it around at this point. I'm not concerned long term with him, he's only 22 after all. He needs to improve his explosiveness (his top end speed is fine, he just has an awful first step), but otherwise I don't have any concerns with him. A lot of the complaints with Maatta this year deal with him not being as good as he was in the past, not him being bad. Schultz's emergence also plays a factor in this due to the dumb expansion draft.

To be fair, I think that applies to sports fans all over the world of any sport. We tend to be fairly emotionally invested in our favorite teams :)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Well that didn't go well lol.

I think "Maatta change of scenery deal" makes sense for Pittsburgh, but not for Buffalo. Lateral moves on defense don't do anything for us, Kulikov is not near valuable enough to trade for Maatta (Kuli is a rental and has had an injury riddled season, I don't think he's worse than Olli tho) and I doubt PIT is interested in trading him for forward help.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, hard no on that. Doubt there's a trade that makes sense that sends Maatta to Buffalo.

I mean, Pens just have no incentive to do so and Buffalo wouldn't give up anything that makes sense.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Kane and Kulikov for Maatta and Kunitz? I'd imagine if salary needed to be retained Buffalo could do that as well. Pens fans will probably hate it, but Kane is an upgrade on Kunitz and Kulikov is a solid top 4 guy. Sabres get a good young top 4 guy locked up long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad