Proposal: M. Stone to Flames To Ottawa M. Tkachuk

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cant see CGY doing this ,and for what has been going on in Ottawa they likely would like to just keep Stone

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
The fact that it would be a tough pill to swallow for both sides tells me the value is actually pretty good.

I guess it all depends on what either player signs for an extension. Tkachuk being an RFA and Stone a UFA factors in

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The value might be good, but Calgary says F no, chances are that Stone is going to want a top tier in the league contract. At least with MT he's younger, he's developing into somthing awesome and we'll have better cost control.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Value is good but hard to see Flames doing this as i'd guess they prefer cost-controlled Tkachuk over pending-UFA Stone in the short-term.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
neutral fan - I think Calgary would decline. Stone is a currently better player, but Tkachuk would have to completely stagnate at 20 years old to not end up being a very comparable player and he comes with the benefit of more years of prime and the cost/control advantages of ELC and RFA years

Reactions: topshelf15

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
There's this thing called the cap, maybe you've heard of it. Flames can't afford to do this with Hanifin still needing an extension.

But even ignoring money, it's still an emphatic no.

Reactions: topshelf15

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
There's this thing called the cap, maybe you've heard of it. Flames can't afford to do this with Hanifin still needing an extension.

But even ignoring money, it's still an emphatic no.
I think M. Tkachuk will be getting a very large raise soon,,,

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Tkachuk is 6 years younger, cheaper, and there's a pretty decent chance he'll be as good a player as Stone within 1-2 years. Not really close, Calgary doesn't do it.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Tkachuk is 6 years younger, cheaper, and there's a pretty decent chance he'll be as good a player as Stone within 1-2 years. Not really close, Calgary doesn't do it.

I don't think the Flames should do this trade due to cap/age, but saying MT is gonna be as good in one of the best wingers in the league in 1-2 years is a bit of a hyperbole IMO.

Reactions: Cotton

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't think the Flames should do this trade due to cap/age, but saying MT is gonna be as good in one of the best wingers in the league in 1-2 years is a bit of a hyperbole IMO.

His career high is 64 points and he's never scored 30 goals. When you say one of the best, do you mean top 5? Top 10? Top 15?

If he can repeat last year's PPG then he'd have an argument to be one of the best. As it is, Stone's general career of being a ~60 point two-way winger is a pretty realistic expectation for Tkachuk.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The value isn't bad, but this deal would only happen if Calgary was 3-4 years further in their development and wanted a definite and immediate push.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
His career high is 64 points and he's never scored 30 goals. When you say one of the best, do you mean top 5? Top 10? Top 15?

If he can repeat last year's PPG then he'd have an argument to be one of the best. As it is, Stone's general career of being a ~60 point two-way winger is a pretty realistic expectation for Tkachuk.

As you mentioned Stone was producing at a 1.07 PPG pace last year while on a tire fire of a team and is considered a top 5 defensive winger as well - calling him a 60 pt winger is a bit disingenuous IMO.

Keep in mind I'm not arguing MT won't reach this caliber, but rather the notion that within a year or two he will be on Stone's level.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I also think the value is fair, but Tkachuk is already the fan favourite, he's got many years of team control left (and even his extension will likely be many years in the 6 range vs at least 2 mil a season more for Stone) and there's the possibility he even becomes better than Stone in the next 4 years. Add to that Stone has had some injury history and Calgary will decline. Good offer though.

This is going to sound looney but I think many of us flames fans would rather see them trade Gaudreau than Tkachuk. The kid makes the whole team better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad