Proposal: M. Staal for Nichushkin

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Folks forget how Staal was partnered with Dan Boyle. This basically translates into Staal playing by himself on the backend.

Boyle was so bad, I'd rather have him caught up ice and a forward coming back to help out then Boyle actually attempting to make a defensive play.

But yeah, Staal's game has gone to the crapper since his partner changed from Stralman to Boyle. The guy's terrible.

Oh and at 5.7m he's way over paid because you know, guys like Niskanen, Mike Green, Orpik, Myers, Andy Greene, Martin, Methot, and Wideman all bring great value.

Throwing some over paid guys at the wall does not mean anything . Do we need to throw all the D out there that are on sweet deals to show Staal is overpaid ? No . It also does nothing . Staal at 5.7 million is not worth his contract there no argument . NYR are not that strong on D to been giving up a good D for a player who may bolt to the KHL . The reason you offer him is because it opens up valuable cap space . Addition by subtraction

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Oh and at 5.7m he's way over paid because you know, guys like Niskanen, Mike Green, Orpik, Myers, Andy Greene, Martin, Methot, and Wideman all bring great value.

I seriously question your evaluation of hockey players if you think Niskanen, Myers, Martin, Greene and Methot are on par with Staal. Like that's just hilariously stupid. Staal is like Orpik, he isn't very good and he's seriously overpaid. He isn't even close to those 5 guys. Just mentioning other bad overpaid players (like Wideman and Orpik) doesn't make Staal not overpaid.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Folks forget how Staal was partnered with Dan Boyle. This basically translates into Staal playing by himself on the backend.

Boyle was so bad, I'd rather have him caught up ice and a forward coming back to help out then Boyle actually attempting to make a defensive play.

But yeah, Staal's game has gone to the crapper since his partner changed from Stralman to Boyle. The guy's terrible.

Not for not, but Andy Greene is extremely under rated...he is a really good Dman.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
With the Stars signing Hudler and all of the speculation surrounding Valeri Nichushkin, I figured this move would make sense. Some fans on the boards seem to think he's a flight risk now and some Stars fans have even said his value is at a low. Dallas has needed help on defense and this idea has been floated around before to some mixed reviews.

Something around Staal for Nichushkin could help both teams, in my opinion. Rangers could retain salary if necessary, as well. Doesn't have to be straight up, could be tweaked to make a good hockey deal.

Flame away.

I'd rather have Val go to the KHL and get nothing in return than trade him for a horrible contract just to say we got something

Flight risk?

He's already in Russia, so take that for what it's worth. :laugh:

Even if Gorton was willing to retain 50% of Staal's $5.7 million salary, Still doubt that Jim Nill would've any interest.

Maybe Staal at 50% would be a bit closer for a deal.

Thanks to his NMC i wouldn't want Staal for free on the Stars . Even for Lehtonen straight up i would have to think about it prior to the expansion draft. No interest in having to protecting Staal in any way.

This. THIS.

If they were to acquire Staal, it means that one of Lindell and Johns has to be unprotected. They need both to be there in the future. No way around it, really.

I'm with AA in spirit on this one, but even if we at half, the bold prevails.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Boyle was so bad, I'd rather have him caught up ice and a forward coming back to help out then Boyle actually attempting to make a defensive play

Completely re-writing history.

Staal played his best hockey of the past two years with Boyle and was absolute garbage away from him.

Staal just sucks now and nobody wants to admit we really ****ed up with that contract. Especially with a whole season of Stralman pulling a wall over our eyes with him.

Picklepete

Jun 5, 2002
Tampa
Visit site
Thanks to his NMC i wouldn't want Staal for free on the Stars . Even for Lehtonen straight up i would have to think about it prior to the expansion draft. No interest in having to protecting Staal in any way.

Bingo.. That's the real reason behind this trade offer !
NMC.... ALL teams have to look at them till exp draft.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
With the Stars signing Hudler and all of the speculation surrounding Valeri Nichushkin, I figured this move would make sense. Some fans on the boards seem to think he's a flight risk now and some Stars fans have even said his value is at a low. Dallas has needed help on defense and this idea has been floated around before to some mixed reviews.

Something around Staal for Nichushkin could help both teams, in my opinion. Rangers could retain salary if necessary, as well. Doesn't have to be straight up, could be tweaked to make a good hockey deal.

Flame away.

Ha!

Enough said...

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Prettymuch this.

Why has Staal gone downhill so fast? He's not even that old and he was more than capable at his peak - must run in the family.

Staal's game "went downhill" the same time Girardi's did--when AV became the Rangers coach. Staal's game--the one that had him looking more like a #2/#3 defenseman--is all about getting in the passing lanes and using his reach. He's great with his stick. AV's system has him chasing guys all over the zone. It emphasizes his weaknesses and minimizes his strengths.

He's still not really worth his contract, and I'm not saying that Dallas should WANT to do this deal at all, but Staal's career hasn't gone downhill. His coach is just clueless.

If it weren't for the numbers the Rangers have at LD (McDonagh, Skjei, Graves, Holden), I wouldn't even want to move Staal.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Staal's game "went downhill" the same time Girardi's did--when AV became the Rangers coach. Staal's game--the one that had him looking more like a #2/#3 defenseman--is all about getting in the passing lanes and using his reach.

This. I'm intrigued that both Staal and Girardi could be good under a different coach. That said the contract is too prohibitive without a lot of sweetening for the Stars or anyone really.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think the question you have to ask first is how many teams can absorb a NMC? And what is that worth because that is the bigger negative value at this point. We're best off hoping he (and Girardi (injuries)) both have bounce back seasons so they can appear marketable to other teams. Worse case is that neither improve while McIlrath and Skjei both go bonkers and we have to lose one of them. You know GMs will then ask for a 1st included in any deal.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Throwing some over paid guys at the wall does not mean anything . Do we need to throw all the D out there that are on sweet deals to show Staal is overpaid ? No . It also does nothing . Staal at 5.7 million is not worth his contract there no argument . NYR are not that strong on D to been giving up a good D for a player who may bolt to the KHL . The reason you offer him is because it opens up valuable cap space . Addition by subtraction
Rangers don't need the cap space so that's not the motivation to trading Staal now. There are other D on great contracts, how many the same number of years in the NHL as Staal and have hit UFA years? Except Myers, all that I put up were UFA deals. UFAs are when players cash in and inherently are over paid for what they produce.

If he's a great player with a great contract then Rangers fans can keep him and be happy instead of always offering him in trade proposals to teams that don't want him
I'm personally quite fine with that. However by next offseason Skjei & McDonagh are the top 2 LD on NYR, there's really no reason to keep Staal in favor a different need.

Not for not, but Andy Greene is extremely under rated...he is a really good Dman.

Common factor, defensive blueliners are under rated, under valued on this board.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His NMC kills really any deal to Dallas for me

The way NMC's work, I think if a player has a NMC that is traded, the team that gets the player has the option whether or not enforce the NMC, as long as the player accepts the trade to that team.

Staal also can decide whether or not he wants to be traded, so its not an easy deal to make.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The way NMC's work, I think if a player has a NMC that is traded, the team that gets the player has the option whether or not enforce the NMC, as long as the player accepts the trade to that team.

Staal also can decide whether or not he wants to be traded, so its not an easy deal to make.

This is only if the player is traded prior to the NMC kicking in. See: PK Subban.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
you guys are crazy

when staal is on, or playing like he was towards the end of last season when McD was out he was good. staal makes 5.7 for the next 4 years. yea the length is too long and the NMC sucks but he is every bit as good as jason demers when he is on.. I think demers makes 5.5 per year if i remember correctly. staal was injured and had surgery last off season. i think he rebounds pretty well. the most important part is pairing him with a more offensive minded d man ex stralman. that was one of the better pairs in the league. The miles are wayy more apparent on girardi. staal really gets a bum wrap on these boards with all the important hockey he has played this is the first semi long off season he has to recoup. I hope NYR keeps him. and tries to move G instead.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
i hope they do.

that's why i typed it. the alternative out there is not going to be much better then him if at all. yea they would save cap buy NYR doesn't have any 10 million dollar forwards. they are scoring by committee up front. i have no problem with them carrying most of their cap hit on the back end for the next 2-3 years while their players mature and get better before they are due for raises. most of the people on this board trashing staal most likely ever really watched him. and frankly im supriised that some NYR fans post so much garbage about him knowing how he has played and the injuries and workload he has done over the past few years. the guy has one bad season and people are out to say he is a bottom feeding defense man with the worst contract in the NHL at age 29 when the season starts. It really is laughable.

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
I'd rather lose Nuke to the KHL for nothing. 5 years with a 5.7 mil. cap hit? I knew his cap was high, but I did not realize the term was that long. Unless Staal rebounds in a big way, this contract has buyout written all over it once the season is over.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
His peripherial vision is horrifically damaged from taking a puck to the eye. He loses the puck in his skates way too easily and has passing game has completely fallen apart. His skating was already not that good but it's barely NHL level now. He really doesn't do anything well anymore and imo he has almost as much negative value as Girardi.

That is a fine excuse that many people love to throw around but other guys have come back from similar injuries with much less impact. Soderberg plays just fine with one eye. I could argue his game has actually improved a bit the last couple years despite the eye injury in 2013. Marc's and Carl's injuries happened pretty much the same time and same circumstances. They've both had three years to bounce back.

I have no doubt that the eye injury has affected his game, but it certainly isn't the only thing that has caused it to decline so much. I don't know what the other factors are, mental or what have you but it is what it is

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Pretty bad for Dallas. This is a giant anchor you're offering them.

I'm 3rd party on this but it would be like Dallas offering you Lehtonen for...oh heck, JT Miller. Just to give you a different perspective on this offer.

This is a bad deal but lets not get carried away....Miller is light years ahead of Nik in terms of trade value

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00