Proposal: M. Staal for Nichushkin

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
With the Stars signing Hudler and all of the speculation surrounding Valeri Nichushkin, I figured this move would make sense. Some fans on the boards seem to think he's a flight risk now and some Stars fans have even said his value is at a low. Dallas has needed help on defense and this idea has been floated around before to some mixed reviews.

Something around Staal for Nichushkin could help both teams, in my opinion. Rangers could retain salary if necessary, as well. Doesn't have to be straight up, could be tweaked to make a good hockey deal.

Flame away.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'd rather have Val go to the KHL and get nothing in return than trade him for a horrible contract just to say we got something

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
With the Stars signing Hudler and all of the speculation surrounding Valeri Nichushkin, I figured this move would make sense. Some fans on the boards seem to think he's a flight risk now and some Stars fans have even said his value is at a low. Dallas has needed help on defense and this idea has been floated around before to some mixed reviews.

Something around Staal for Nichushkin could help both teams, in my opinion. Rangers could retain salary if necessary, as well. Doesn't have to be straight up, could be tweaked to make a good hockey deal.

Flame away.

Pretty bad for Dallas. This is a giant anchor you're offering them.

I'm 3rd party on this but it would be like Dallas offering you Lehtonen for...oh heck, JT Miller. Just to give you a different perspective on this offer.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Flame away.

You have to understand that people look at Staal the same way they look at Girardi despite Staal having a much better second half to his season.

The first part of the season for Staal was pretty brutal and after the way Pittsburgh abused us and our defense in the playoffs it is going to take a bounce back year (one I expect though) before the public perception of Staal changes.

Staal is still a top-4 defenseman. If he does continue this season where he left off next season I could see Staal at 4.5 million + Jesper Fast for Nuke +.

As it stands right now I can certainly understand why Dallas fans wouldn't want to touch this deal.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I have no horse in this race, but i think Ranger fans need to understand that while they are looking at trading Staal the player (one they feel is a top 4 D) and think they can get value for him, everybody else is looking at it as Staal the contract (5.7 million dollar cap hit until 2021) and won't be offering anything of actual value. Staal is a MASSIVE cap dump in todays cap 1st league...you would actually have to pay to move that contract (see 1 Phil Kessel and the less than stellar return).

Also, if your selling feature is "maybe he plays as good as the second half of last season", you won't get far, because again....2021.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I have no horse in this race, but i think Ranger fans need to understand that while they are looking at trading Staal the player (one they feel is a top 4 D) and think they can get value for him, everybody else is looking at it as Staal the contract (5.7 million dollar cap hit until 2021) and won't be offering anything of actual value. Staal is a MASSIVE cap dump in todays cap 1st league...you would actually have to pay to move that contract (see 1 Phil Kessel and the less than stellar return).

Also, if your selling feature is "maybe he plays as good as the second half of last season", you won't get far, because again....2021.

Prettymuch this.

Why has Staal gone downhill so fast? He's not even that old and he was more than capable at his peak - must run in the family.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thanks to his NMC i wouldn't want Staal for free on the Stars . Even for Lehtonen straight up i would have to think about it prior to the expansion draft. No interest in having to protecting Staal in any way.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Prettymuch this.

Why has Staal gone downhill so fast? He's not even that old and he was more than capable at his peak - must run in the family.

His peripherial vision is horrifically damaged from taking a puck to the eye. He loses the puck in his skates way too easily and has passing game has completely fallen apart. His skating was already not that good but it's barely NHL level now. He really doesn't do anything well anymore and imo he has almost as much negative value as Girardi.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
His peripherial vision is horrifically damaged from taking a puck to the eye. He loses the puck in his skates way too easily and has passing game has completely fallen apart. His skating was already not that good but it's barely NHL level now. He really doesn't do anything well anymore and imo he has almost as much negative value as Girardi.

While all this is definitely true, Staal is not as useless as Girardi. In no way does he generate any offense or transition play but he is still capable of playing a "stay-at-home" type role.

His stick play has always been good albeit he leans on it too much sometimes, he is also fine along the wall imo he doesn't get rubbed off pucks that easily although when he does dig it out he cant do anything with it :laugh:

If the Rangers retained I think he would be fine next to Klingberg.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Folks forget how Staal was partnered with Dan Boyle. This basically translates into Staal playing by himself on the backend.

Boyle was so bad, I'd rather have him caught up ice and a forward coming back to help out then Boyle actually attempting to make a defensive play.

But yeah, Staal's game has gone to the crapper since his partner changed from Stralman to Boyle. The guy's terrible.

Oh and at 5.7m he's way over paid because you know, guys like Niskanen, Mike Green, Orpik, Myers, Andy Greene, Martin, Methot, and Wideman all bring great value.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
His NMC kills really any deal to Dallas for me

This. THIS.

If they were to acquire Staal, it means that one of Lindell and Johns has to be unprotected. They need both to be there in the future. No way around it, really.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Folks forget how Staal was partnered with Dan Boyle. This basically translates into Staal playing by himself on the backend.

Boyle was so bad, I'd rather have him caught up ice and a forward coming back to help out then Boyle actually attempting to make a defensive play.

But yeah, Staal's game has gone to the crapper since his partner changed from Stralman to Boyle. The guy's terrible.

Oh and at 5.7m he's way over paid because you know, guys like Niskanen, Mike Green, Orpik, Myers, Andy Greene, Martin, Methot, and Wideman all bring great value.

If he's a great player with a great contract then Rangers fans can keep him and be happy instead of always offering him in trade proposals to teams that don't want him

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

Flame away.

How is this even a reasonable offer . Staal is grossly over paid bottom pairing D . He may be a top 4 on a weak defensive team . He should be making 2.5 to 3 million . Honestly everyone said Phaneuf was over paid but he a better D and can also produces points . Phaneuf is over paid but not to the extend Staal is

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I'd do this trade in a second but Dallas doesn't. Also the Rangers forward corps is deep as it is, can't see them adding another at the moment

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Because of his NMC this will never happen. It's been brought up before, trading for a D that is not a clear cut Klingberg partner makes no sense for Dallas this year because of the expansion draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad