Mojo Dojo Casa House

"Ok Patrik, how do we turn this team around"

After which even he was like this:

giphy.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Patrik Laine oozing confidence, thinks he should go No. 1 overall

KRISTINA RUTHERFORD JUNE 3, 2016, 4:27 PM

Gotta love this kid's confidence and personality. He's got Star on the ice and in marketing the NHL written all over him.

BUFFALO – Patrik Laine doesn’t even wait to hear the end of the question. It begins: ‘If you were an NHL GM and you had to draft…’

“Me,” Laine says. “Me.”

He pretty well guessed where that one was going.

First, the blonde-haired winger hears out the rest of the question: ‘As a GM, who would you rank first, second and third overall in the draft, in order?’

“Me,” he says, again. “Matthews and [Jesse] Puljujarvi.”

As a GM, Laine says, “I would trade to get Puljujarvi to my team.” The more Finns the better.

Laine is funny. Ask him if he ever thought about switching from the wing to centre and he says, “No, I’d have to defend more if I’m centre.”

He waits a second, then adds: “That’s a joke.”

“I was playing well and getting points and goals, and of course those pro leagues playoffs that I got the MVP award and we won the championships,” he says. “I think then I realized I’ve been playing pretty well.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-oozing-confidence-thinks-go-no-1-overall/

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think that the Brett Hull comparison is a bit off. Hull basically disappeared until the puck came to him, then he scored(often with a one timer). Laine does do that as well for sure, but he also likes to hold the puck, skate with it, look for opportunities himself.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Is this just TSN fan boy talk or some truth to it? I have a hard time believing a guy just turned 18 would have a top 30 shot, let alone top 5. You have got a world class shot almost on every team. And there's a handful of players clearly above like Ovie, Stamkos etc. etc.

TSN: Towering Laine possesses a powerful confidence said:
“He’s a powerful kid who probably doesn’t realize yet what he has in his toolbox,†Ferraro said. “Right now it’s all about his shot. Why not? If you popped him into the NHL right now on this day, he’s got a top-five shot in the entire league. His shot is unreal. And it’s not just the one-timer. It’s his wrist shot too. His mechanics and his release are elite.

On which teams would Laine have the best shot in your opinion? The Panthers? Sabres? Wild? Which teams have two or more players with better shot arsenal?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine would have the best shot in 28 teams. The exceptions are Tampa Bay Lightning and Washington Capitals.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Laine is ambitious and it's admirable. Still I wonder about the reasoning in behind the desire of going first overall. Is it the franchise itself or just the idea of being the most highly valued prospect in the draft? After all, in the end it doesn't matter one bit what your #number was in your draft, it's what you make out of it. In this case when considering the price of going first overall in Toronto or falling down to Winnipeg I would imagine the latter being more tempting place for someone wanting a fast kickstart for a career. A team that's is far ahead in their rebuild and has abundance of other quality prospects and players in the roster. In contrast Toronto has pretty much nothing apart from a few good players and a couple of blue chip youngsters. Anyone landing there will be expected atleast some results from the get go and have tons of weight and expectations over their shoulders. Suppose it's a good sign of Laine not being not so worried about that still.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Laine is ambitious and it's admirable. Still I wonder about the reasoning in behind the desire of going first overall. Is it the franchise itself or just the idea of being the most highly valued prospect in the draft? After all, in the end it doesn't matter one bit what your #number was in your draft, it's what you make out of it. In this case when considering the price of going first overall in Toronto or falling down to Winnipeg I would imagine the latter being more tempting place for someone wanting a fast kickstart for a career. A team that's is far ahead in their rebuild and has abundance of other quality prospects and players in the roster. In contrast Toronto has pretty much nothing apart from a few good players and a couple of blue chip youngsters. Anyone landing there will be expected atleast some results from the get go and have tons of weight and expectations over their shoulders. Suppose it's a good sign of Laine not being not so worried about that still.

Nothing to do with the franchise, going first overall has been his goal for a long time.

perstakli

Jan 21, 2015
Laine is ambitious and it's admirable. Still I wonder about the reasoning in behind the desire of going first overall. Is it the franchise itself or just the idea of being the most highly valued prospect in the draft? After all, in the end it doesn't matter one bit what your #number was in your draft, it's what you make out of it.

Well, one reason might be to become the first Finn ever to be drafted #1OA. That's a permanent place in the record books, and the guy seems to be pretty eager to put his name in those books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad