LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Where are the combine results posted? So Patrik is almost 6'5 already. That is impressive given his eye hand coordination is extraordinary for his size already.

Don't know, it just was said by some guy on Jets' TSN radio.

And yeah, his hand-eye coordination is the most impressive thing to me, namely catching pucks out of the air and intercepting aerial passes. That probably is because he used to play goaltender when he was young so he would learn predicting trajectories.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't know, it just was said by some guy on Jets' TSN radio.

And yeah, his hand-eye coordination is the most impressive thing to me, namely catching pucks out of the air and intercepting aerial passes. That probably is because he used to play goaltender when he was young so he would learn predicting trajectories.

This is a part that is not often discussed. Players with size that need to fill out, usually need more time. They need to grow into their bodies and let their eye hand coordination catch up to them. Laine at 17 has already demonstrated extraordinary eye hand coordination. Haven't seen many with his size possess this trait at this early an age. Again with the projection part, he is still growing, and he will no doubt get better. It's a scary proposition.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site

That is some confident stuff, really like his attitude and personality. He's comfortable in being special and wants to be the best there is. And with the frame and tools he has already at this age, it's not completely unrealistic either.

From marketing perspective he is absolute gold for any organization that gets him. Rockstar like that sells tickets and jerseys.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This is a part that is not often discussed. Players with size that need to fill out, usually need more time. They need to grow into their bodies and let their eye hand coordination catch up to them. Laine at 17 has already demonstrated extraordinary eye hand coordination. Haven't seen many with his size possess this trait at this early an age. Again with the projection part, he is still growing, and he will no doubt get better. It's a scary proposition.

He also makes tons of little tricks with the puck I need a slow-mo for even if those situations don't accomplish anything. Comparing to Puljujärvi for instance, I never need a slow-mo for anything he does with the stick. Can't think of anyone other than Datsyuk who I've needed a slow-mo for in the past to understand what they do while stickhandling.

Take this at 3:10-3:20 in this video below, for example. I had no clue how the trajectory of the puck made no sense when watching it live. Then watching in 1/4 slow-mo he actually touched the puck with the tip of his stick again when it was turned around so that it changes trajectory and avoids the defender's stick and is easier to handle. Happens in the blink of an eye, so...

That TSN article is good but it makes it sound like Laine's shot is some natural gift. He studied Ovechkin, trained on his backyard for hours every single day. It's not an accident or simply because of talent(Although some of it surely is talent as well).

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
So jealous of the Jets.... they had one of the deepest prospect pools before the lottery win. They will win a Cup within 3-5 years... my new favorite Western Team.
Jets vs. Sabres 2019 !!!! (Sabres win this one) ;)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He also makes tons of little tricks with the puck I need a slow-mo for even if those situations don't accomplish anything. Comparing to Puljujärvi for instance, I never need a slow-mo for anything he does with the stick. Can't think of anyone other than Datsyuk who I've needed a slow-mo for in the past to understand what they do while stickhandling.

Take this at 3:10-3:20 in this video below, for example. I had no clue how the trajectory of the puck made no sense when watching it live. Then watching in 1/4 slow-mo he actually touched the puck with the tip of his stick again when it was turned around so that it changes trajectory and avoids the defender's stick and is easier to handle. Happens in the blink of an eye, so...

That TSN article is good but it makes it sound like Laine's shot is some natural gift. He studied Ovechkin, trained on his backyard for hours every single day. It's not an accident or simply because of talent(Although some of it surely is talent as well).

The one timer is a skill. Not every player can do this. It is a big part of Laine's game. Not saying you, but in general, to label him as just a player that can shoot the puck would do an injustice to the type of player he is.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Yeah and people who have followed him even a little bit over the season know he is not "just a one timer". His whole shot selection is beyond anything anyone else in this draft has, including wrister. Matthews has nothing on him when it comes to shots and I will absolutely ignore anyone who will argue that point because they are denying reality that is easy to see for anyone. To attempt to put their shots on equal level, is absolute blindness and homerism. Laine's shot is better in every single way...velocity, quickness of release, selection, aim. Every single category.

Suggesting their shots are equal or close or AM being better is as stupid as suggesting that Laine's skating would be equal or better than Matthews at the moment.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I think this is going to be the second coming of Ovechkin-Malkin here in Matthews-Laine.

It's a hard choice, but I think I would take Laine at #1. There's just something special in his game.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Whos the Bobby Ryan of the 4? (Crosby, Malkin, Ovy & McDavid, Laine, Matthews, Eichel)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

"Ok Patrik, how do we turn this team around"

Mentioned this on the Leafs board. Probably grilled him on the U-18 incident, his prior attitude issues, what exactly he's done to try to fix this issue (I know he's seen a therapist), and how id he trying to stop it from happening again. He seems to be past it, and it seems unlikely to resurface, but the interviews are meant to ask about these situations.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Mentioned this on the Leafs board. Probably grilled him on the U-18 incident, his prior attitude issues, what exactly he's done to try to fix this issue (I know he's seen a therapist), and how id he trying to stop it from happening again. He seems to be past it, and it seems unlikely to resurface, but the interviews are meant to ask about these situations.

Looks like Winnipeg and Toronto had very different styles in their interviews.
That Lawless article on Laine is a good one, and on that Laine talks about the incident if you haven't read it yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

.... Leafs grilled him as part of their due diligence before selecting him #1. Just asked Matthews softball questions about his family, etc. because he's not their guy. :naughty:

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
.... Leafs grilled him as part of their due diligence before selecting him #1. Just asked Matthews softball questions about his family, etc. because he's not their guy. :naughty:

You wish ;)

Hopefully we get some stats on these guys tomorrow. At almost 6'5" and maybe 210 pounds, you gotta' think he can realistically add 15+ pounds more. Wheeler, for example, stands at 6'5" and 225 pounds.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You wish ;)

Hopefully we get some stats on these guys tomorrow. At almost 6'5" and maybe 210 pounds, you gotta' think he can realistically add 15+ pounds more. Wheeler, for example, stands at 6'5" and 225 pounds.

Would love the Jets to get their hands on Matthews.

The Jets are reportedly very high on Tkachuk, with some rumours of Trouba for #4 +.

How about this?

Connor-Matthews-Wheeler
Tkachuk-Scheifele-Ehlers

Killer future top-6, with Little slotting in as probably the NHL's best #3C.

In a year or two, add Roslovic to re-unite the Tkachuk-Matthews-Roslovic dynamic trio.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You wish ;)

He's going to be one of the toughest players to play against, if he can improve his skating which I trust he will, he's what 6-8cm's taller than Ovy and Ovy is a damm tank.

TSN analyst and longtime NHL forward Ray Ferraro got his first up close look at Laine at the 2016 World Junior Championship and his second at the World Championship. Laine caught Ferraro’s eyes against the boys, but made them pop against the men.

“He’s a powerful kid who probably doesn’t realize yet what he has in his toolbox,†Ferraro said. “Right now it’s all about his shot. Why not? If you popped him into the NHL right now on this day, he’s got a top-five shot in the entire league. His shot is unreal. And it’s not just the one-timer. It’s his wrist shot too. His mechanics and his release are elite.

“You know how some guys just hit the golf ball farther than anyone else and you don’t know why? Well, that’s this kid and his shot. But he’s going to figure out he has more than just the shot. He’s almost 6-5 and his reach is Mario [Lemieux]-like. When he puts his body between you and the puck and extends his arms, you’re seven feet away from the puck. It’s impossible to take the puck from him. I’l say this: He really won me over at the worlds.â€

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
"Patrik Laine, the presumptive No. 2 pick at this month's NHL Draft, said he did not finish the Vo2Max bike test on Friday"

Laine said it was his leg but we all know it was his arse from all the leach reporters and what not from kissing it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad