Patrik Laine:
NHL Team: Winnipeg Jets
Birthdate: April 19, 1998.

2015-16 Liiga Rookie of the Year.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Rookie Points Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff MVP and Champion.
2015-16 Liiga Playoff Goals Leader.
2015-16 Liiga Record Setter for Most Playoff Goals By a Rookie.
2016 World Junior All Star Team.
2016 World Junior Gold Medal.
2016 World Junior Goals Leader.
2015 U-18 All Star Team.
2015 U-18 Silver Medal.
2015 U-18 Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship MVP.
2016 World Championship Silver Medal.
2016 World Championship All-Star Team.
2016 World Championship, IIHF Directorate Award for Best Forward.
2016 World Championship, Award for Top 3 Player on Team.
2016 World Championship Goals Leader.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Goals by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
2016 World Championship Record Setter for Most Points by a Player in First Year of NHL Draft Eligibility.
Second-Highest Point Total by a U-19 Player at a World Championship Tournament (behind only Sidney Crosby, 2006).

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=221667

For information about his 2015-16 hockey season, refer to OP XII: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=119942875&postcount=1

13-3-9260310.jpg

Highlights From His First Thirteen NHL Games of 2016-17:

Documentation of His First Thirteen Games (October 13, 2016 to November 8, 2016): http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2138759

November 8, 2016: His Second Career Hat Trick -- Now the 2016-17 NHL Goal-Scoring Leader

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/patrik-laine-gets-second-hat-trick-jets-crush-stars/
Patrik Laine gets second hat trick as Jets crush Stars
Canadian Press November 8, 2016, 10:52 PM

WINNIPEG — Patrik Laine and Mark Scheifele were humbled about vaulting to the top of the NHL’s scoring lists, no matter how long it lasts.

Laine took over the league lead in goals with the second hat trick of his rookie season Tuesday and Scheifele is now the league’s points leader after the Winnipeg Jets defeated the Dallas Stars 8-2.

Laine, who also had an assist, now has 11 goals and 15 points.

“It’s always unbelievable to score,” the 18-year-old Finn said. “I’m proud of myself and I’m proud of our team.

"I don't want to think about the future, (but) it's amazing to lead the league on the scoreboard."

Scheifele had a four-point outing with two goals and two assists, propelling him to 18 points, one more than Edmonton's Connor McDavid and Chicago's Artem Anisimov.

"It's been a dream of mine," Scheifele said of reaching the top. "It's pretty cool, but there is still a lot of the season left and there are a lot of good players.

"Hopefully, I can stay in the mix. It's pretty humbling. I still have part of my game that I can improve."

CwBk2yxWIAEZtnm.jpg

Thread archive:

Part 1: LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, FEL (2016 Draft)
RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) II
RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) III
RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) IV
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) V
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VI
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VII
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) VIII
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) IX
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) X
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XI
LW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016, 2nd, WPG) XII
LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIII
LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIV
LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XV

Current thread: LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XVI

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Ok I can make it, let's go full-on Tappara chant before they lock:

Paaaaaaaaaatriiiiiiiiikk.......

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
^ LAINE!!!!!!!!!!

Also great work, wouldn't feel the same if you didn't create these threads

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Disclaimer for Matthews fans:

I admit I'm homer (both Finn and Jets). I also admit that my reason to join to Pegs fan army was caused by totally ridiculous allegations for Laine by rather many Matthews fans (I'm one of them too, btw.) I also admit that everything I may rant is not intended to be full though deep analysis. If I bash something related to Matthews, it's ONLY that *****ing low attitude of delusion and loath that comes absolutely too often visible in various Matthews commentaries by his fans' directed against Laine. Some people out there simply live in some kind sphere of denial about Laine.

I seriously doubt there even exist any kind real rivalry between Laine and Matthews, beyond some trophy speculations and games between Winnipeg and Toronto. It seems to me mostly artificially made construct, memeplex that will continue live it's life in Hockey memepools totally regardless of what happens in the rinks.

But I am also capable to admit if I'm wrong in some of my assumptions, comments and conclusions. That is also something I would want to see among flocks of Matthews most infantile, clowny fanbois (there are few). In hockey scenes I want live with feeling and passion, but that doesn't mean that I should reject last remains of objectivity... I also want joke about various things, and remind that after all it's all is about sports and entertainment, not something above the life itself. Thank you.

UuGH% index for AM is indeed higher then for PL. :)

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Excellent OP again.

What is it lacking still, as always, the most impressive feat of Laine so far:

Highest Point Total by a U-18 Player at a World Championship Tournament (behind no one, doubling the ~80 years old record).

Remember, that at next WHC Laine, if available, will still be able to beat that U-19 record by Sidney Crosby. (And for that U-20 record by Lindros he can try twice, if Jets is not heading for the Stanley Cup.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Also, few links to FEL playoffs goals of Laine could be good to have embedded routinely to Laine OPs as a reminder that his NHL-efforts are precedented certain demonstrable way already when he was playing FEL.

So, it shouldn't come as a surprise for anyone he is prolific goal scorer now and that It is not any kind novelty for him that he can score a lot.

What is truly amazing is in what level he has been able to make his NHL-entry.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Remember when some claimed he wouldn't be able to adapt to the small ice and wouldn't be able to create space for himself to score in the NHL? :laugh: good times good times. Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers are going to put up some major points this year.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Would be interesting to see how he would "handle" it in Finnish B-juniors. :laugh:

He would tear it like never before, though he would probably coast at low effort level so we wouldn't see the whole truth. :laugh: Just tells how good this kid is. Could play in WJC @ 2018, as the tourney is mostly after new year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How many thought Laine would adapt to the NHL so soon? I know i didn't. Leader in the NHL in goals after 14 games with 11. 1st in points for Rookies with 15. And he is still so raw as a prospect/player at 18. He should continue to improve this season as he gets into a certain comfort level. Really liked the versatility of goals he has scored lately. He has to be Rookie of the year thus far after 14 games. It is a long season, he will have his ups and downs. But the kid is well on his way in becoming the special player some of us saw in him. As a NHL fan, you got to love watching Laine.

Snagari

Apr 27, 2016
Some of us knew. Some of us just knew.

And to those who battled against the Leafs troll-army, I salute you, now you can have a big wide smile on your face :)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
How many thought Laine would adapt to the NHL so soon? I know i didn't. Leader in the NHL in goals after 14 games with 11. 1st in points for Rookies with 15. And he is still so raw as a prospect/player at 18. He should continue to improve this season as he gets into a certain comfort level. Really liked the versatility of goals he has scored lately. He has to be Rookie of the year thus far after 14 games. It is a long season, he will have his ups and downs. But the kid is well on his way in becoming the special player some of us saw in him. As a NHL fan, you got to love watching Laine.

Definitely leading the Calder race right now, no question. Still early though. I was doubtful Laine would score over 20... he has 68 games left to score 9 goals to prove me wrong :laugh:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
How many thought Laine would adapt to the NHL so soon?
I don't think no one could have predicted it after the slow start in the WC & preseason games. I mean, the amount of skill this guy has was seen in Liiga and even in the WC games but there were still many questions whether he can still adapt it fast enough for the ultimate challenge, NHL. I don't think there's any questions left anymore.

Makes me think about the quote Jussi Tapola (Tappara head coach) made about Laine when he said it took Laine a month to fully adapt into Tappara's system (one of the strictest in Liiga teams) whereas it would take a year for most new players to adapt it. Then when you consider all the recent achievements in such a short periods, it pretty confirms this kid has all the tools of becoming one of the best goal scorers in NHL.

It's only a matter of time until he wins his first Rocket Trophy.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Funny how people who projected he would score 15 to 25 goals are now jumping on his bandwagon and act like they have always believed in him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think no one could have predicted it after the slow start in the WC & preseason games. I mean, the amount of skill this guy has was seen in Liiga and even in the WC games but there were still many questions whether he can still adapt it fast enough for the ultimate challenge, NHL. I don't think there's any questions left anymore.

Makes me think about the quote Jussi Tapola (Tappara head coach) made about Laine when he said it took Laine a month to fully adapt into Tappara's system (one of the strictest in Liiga teams) whereas it would take a year for most new players to adapt it. Then when you consider all the recent achievements in such a short periods, it pretty confirms this kid has all the tools of becoming one of the best goal scorers in NHL.

It's only a matter of time until he wins his first Rocket Trophy.

Definitely leading the Calder race right now, no question. Still early though. I was doubtful Laine would score over 20... he has 68 games left to score 9 goals to prove me wrong :laugh:

I expected Laine to feel his way until the Christmas break, and then as a light switched would go off. He would go on a tear when he reached a comfort level. Sort of like last year after the WJC.

As scary as this sounds, he may be even better after the Christmas break. Maybe not in tangible points as Scoring will get tougher as team go into their playoff modes. But with the way he is going. He will have already put in the bank a good cushion of goals. I do think he will be more dominant as a player when he realizes he in the top 1% of talent in the NHL. More physical, more engaged, more apt to impose his will on a game. In the end, this kid wants to win. Which is admirable to see in a 18 year old player.

He has the physical tools, he has the right attitude. Once he gains the belief, there is no telling how good he will be become. I think we are seeing this right now. The evolution of a player starting to realize how good he can be. This is why some of us who believed he was the best player in the draft were intrigued with him. His ceiling as a player is so rare.

In the end, the guy has a personality that lights up a rink, he has the talent that fans of hockey find hard to resist. Right now he is living up to all his hype. He is backing it up and then some.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
And to those who battled against the Leafs troll-army, I salute you, now you can have a big wide smile on your face :)

Yes we do. I had just a few concussions and broken fingers due to the big number of them, but I'm sure a guy like ijuka and few others could be missing other body parts too.

When does Laine get his own goal song and what will it be? This? "Whoa is me I'm so wow, everywhere I go I'm a one man show"

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I thought he would struggle at the beginning.. he did a bit but it was a shorter time than I expected. Happy to be wrong about him. Still don't believe in 60 goals seasons but we'll see.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Funny how people who projected he would score 15 to 25 goals are now jumping on his bandwagon and act like they have always believed in him.

It's pretty reasonable to predict 15-25 goals for a rookie. The fact that Laine is scoring well beyond that pace is awesome. But predicting 20 or so goals for a 18 year old rookie is hardly "selling him short".

I agree that it's been clear for a while that Laine is going to top 15 goals though.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I believe that he could score 60 goals per year. He is that calibre. My actual point prediction for him before the season was exactly 27 goals and 24 assists, combining for 51 points. I've been struggling with giving him a proper prediction with goals, but I felt like 27 was great for a rookie but almost too low for his skillset. I predicted more struggling from him, but he has shown to adapt pretty well so early.

Only 6 more goals, and he ties his last year's numbers for 17 goals in 46 FEL games. Pretty sure we can state that will have more goals in fewer games in the NHL than he did last year in Finland. His development has been like no other.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

As a part-time but long term passive follower and fan of Selänne (since '90s), I jumped to Laine's train when he was rolling on at JWC. As I do not consider myself very strong in all kinds topics of Hockey, I didn't immediately recognize Laine's expectional performances in FEL. They soon became impossible to NOT to recognize.

I also projected Laine's NHL-entry performance level considerably lower then it then emerged to be (like most of us). I jumped to HFBoards bandwagon when I realized that "what the heck, kid is doing good even in NHL".

Regardless of how long one has been in a this or that bandwagon, for me it is only natural to correct stances and assumptions if there are undeniable objectively perceivable reality that forces to make such adjustments.

Folks who aren't capable to make such kind adjustments when necessary... uh.. just are [add here some most vivid vulgar attributes you can possibly imagine].

I projected Laine about 20+20 or so, while believing his initial contiribution would've been something like 2-5...3-7 in first 13 games. I was obviously wrong.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Finally I can talk about this kids potential and level realistically and not having to tone it down just to avoid hordes of people calling me an idiot.

What a game yesterday. I missed some parts of it, but from the beginning Laine was doing everything right. Every pass to his teammates (I think I saw one missed on a PP in the 3rd or something), always made the right and mature choices with the puck. He blocked shots, he blocked passes, cleared the crease, got it out of their zone. And of course did what he does, score a bunch of goals. On top of that he hits hard and often.

Nobody should have a problem with the name Lemieux thrown around in here anymore. Or the term "generational". His 11 goals in 14 games including 2 hat tricks is just that, generational.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't get me wrong on this. Jets are a better team with Bryan Little and Matthew Perrault in the line up. But their injuries have allowed Laine, and other young Jets players to fill their roles. They have scored 15 goals the past 3 games. Led by a young line of young guns of Scheifele, Ehlers, and Laine. Not seasoned vets but young players all eligible to play for the Team NA had they all been picked. Making What Laine has accomplished this season thus far even more impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad