LW Patrik Laine (2016, 2nd, WPG) XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Russia easily has the best offensive firepower in this tournament. Two of the top shooters in the world Ovi and Tarasenko. And 5 ridiculously good puck moving playmakers in Malkin, Datsyuk, Kuznetsov, Kucherov and Panarin.

Russia might have one of the weakest defence cores in the tournament but you don't need elite defencemen when you have forwards that can move the puck the way they can. You never see their defence making any carries over the blueline. They pass to a forward and it's up to them to do both zone exits and entries. It worked well against NA whose defence is better than Finland's. I don't think the Finns stand much of a chance. They have no one who can move the puck like Russia and they have been playing more of a defensive system that obviously isn't working.

What's that got to do with this thread?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Hope Laine pots in a few goals. Preferably a HAT TRICK ;)

That will be the first hatty in the tournament if ever right?

After that he is of to the training camp to line up with Little and Stafford :)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Hahaha and I care what you think because...?

The huge majority of hockey fans find Team NA the most exciting so you're one of the few that's disinterested. Congrats I guess?

Just my opinion on this. Why would I care if you care about me not caring or not? In Europe, it's not very few sharing this opinion that there should be only real national teams to keep the heritage living.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Hahaha and I care what you think because...?

The huge majority of hockey fans find Team NA the most exciting so you're one of the few that's disinterested. Congrats I guess?

Yeah, Team NA is easily the most interesting team in the tournament. For me, World Cup will never have the same national prestige than Olympics Best on Best has. I hope the NHL and IIHF can come to an agreement to let players participate.

But nationalistic pride aside, this tournee is fun. More fun than I originally thought it would be. Timing is difficult for us living other side of the pond. But I've watched highlights and followed the progression of the tournament much more keenly than I thought I would.

For me, this is not a competition between the NHL and IIHF (which is probably is in reality) it's just a tournament of quality hockey. And the fact that these young guns have their own team is great. Fast and ballsy hockey so far from the youngsters. I love Ovechkin and like many Russian players in general. But this time I hope that Russia is eliminated. So I get to see more of the younglings on the ice.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Just my opinion on this. Why would I care if you care about me not caring or not? In Europe, it's not very few sharing this opinion that there should be only real national teams to keep the heritage living.

That's where I think people are being bit silly. It's not the Olympic games. Just enjoy the hockey.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
lol 13th thread coming to an end, and guy haven't played a single NHL game yet.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Does anyone know if a 2nd pick has ever busted in history?

Depends on what constitutes as a bust, but here are some names that could qualify:

Andrei Zyuzin, Pat Falloon (aka. The Fat Balloon), Dave Chyzowski (definitely a bust), Perry Turnbull. Can't think of anyone else.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Depends on what constitutes as a bust, but here are some names that could qualify:

Andrei Zyuzin, Pat Falloon (aka. The Fat Balloon), Dave Chyzowski (definitely a bust), Perry Turnbull. Can't think of anyone else.

Kari Lehtonen:popcorn:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Time for Laine to step up if he is going to. Team NA needs him today.

Would be quite funny if he did 2+1 or more, which would match the current total points of all Finnish skaters and fulfill my personal PPG expectation. It would also tie him up in points with such good players as MacKinnon and Backstrom.

Hockey Gods would without a doubt be partial towards pledges for acknowledgeful avatars, if that should happen.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Ha, nice blowout after the lost Sweden game. Got so pissed off after the game that didn't feel like wanting anything to do with the hockey for the next day.

Laine's been playing fine considering he just stepped into the arena of the best players in today's game, that's considering for what you can expect from an 18 year old. You can see improvement in speed and he seems like the tallest guy on the ice almost every shift (might have gained height during the summer). He occasionally makes sloppy plays and doesn't yet have the explosive first steps but these things will either fix themselves with gained experience or are worked out with hard training. The off-season for a European draftee isn't ideal due to travelling and in Laine's case there's tons of room especially on the physical side. I'm not worried about the fact he hasn't scored in the last two games. The NA game itself was a mockery to Finnish hockey and the entire team (where majority of players are veterans) that got absolutely schooled by punch of youngsters. No matter how good they are, it's still a disgrace. Not much one 18 year old kid can do there to change the outcome. Against Sweden he looked better and the Russia game is still left to be played.

Still what bothers me is the fact of Marjamäki using our best center as a third line guy, when obviously Barkov should have played Koivu's minutes. Granted that Barkov was so far below his own level of game I almost understand the management's call. However, that obviously was the plan from the get go, as nothing changed (apart from swapping Jokinen with Aho) since the exhibition games. Had it been the opposite where he booked the TOI he's accustomed to in the Panthers and Barkov got his game together, we could be battling for a playoff spot today instead of playing meaningless game. Who can tell and seems rather pointless to speculate. It is what it is.

I'm not one bit worried about Laine and the world cup hasn't changed my opinion about him one way or another. Think he's still going to be the best player of his draft year. Getting to the Jets, Laine will finally have all-around quality around him and every chance to excel, rather than the opposite where having to play in the worst team against the best rivals the world has to offer. Hopefully he gets into the score sheet today just to get his confidence up, which would be great for the upcoming challenges which lie ahead.

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016
Rough start for laine on his senior career. 18 year old peter forsberg had more impact for sweden.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Rough start for laine on his senior career. 18 year old peter forsberg had more impact for sweden.

At world championships where Laine had twice the points while almost a year younger?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hope Laine pots in a few goals. Preferably a HAT TRICK ;)

That will be the first hatty in the tournament if ever right?

After that he is of to the training camp to line up with Little and Stafford :)

I hope Laine scores and Finland wins but he needs to start with a point in this tourny before we start talking about a hat trick.

Fingers crossed, though!

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

Peter Forsberg who played his first Worldcup at age of 23 and first Olympic games at age of 21? What are you talking about?

I hope Laine scores and Finland wins but he needs to start with a point in this tourny before we start talking about a hat trick.

Fingers crossed, though!

What does it matter if he makes points or not? None of that has any meaning for his future career. Finland is already out so there is not much to play here.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Obviously it's been mostly WC talk with Laine, but with his tournament pretty much over, can start talking preseason.

Judging from the TC groups, looks like he'll be with Little and probably Stafford to start.

image.jpg

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Going through the puck action stats for this game, while these ones weren't exactly puck actions, I noticed several times when Aho made a very poor decision(mostly during cycling) and caused lost possession. Namely, at least 3 times he didn't go to the boards but skated back towards the middle when an opposing player went to grab the puck even though Aho supposedly had the positional advantage when going into the play.

On the other hand, Barkov's been alright. I'm halfway through the game and Barkov is at like 96%.

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016
At world championships where Laine had twice the points while almost a year younger?

Whc 1992 while it still had good players and meant something. Forsberg was sensational in that tournament ä.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Whc 1992 while it still had good players and meant something. Forsberg was sensational in that tournament ä.
Forsberg is one of my favorite players ever. If Laine ever becomes close to Forsberg, I'm thrilled. If he doesn't, it's okay.

The fact remains both of the players have already been really good at the age of 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad