LW Matthew Boldy - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 12th, MIN)

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I've had Boldy ranked as my third favourite prospect in this draft for a while. The guy definitely isn't flashy or quite as offensively gifted as a Caufield or a Zegras, but I think his overall game is the most polished of all the US kids (aside from Hughes of course). I don't put much stock into a short tourney like the U18's but his performance there sucked for me as a Canuck fan, because I had a good feeling he would be there at #10 until this performance which has me incredibly worried

He'd look so good on Petey and Brock's left wing

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
Is there a real chance that he fall at the draft ?
If he has a poor draft combine and team interviews he could fall a bit. As of right now he will probably be the first winger drafted, most likely around 7-10. He’s so effective on every single inch of the ice and he has loads of skill. Don’t see him dropping at all.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If he has a poor draft combine and team interviews he could fall a bit. As of right now he will probably be the first winger drafted, most likely around 7-10. He’s so effective on every single inch of the ice and he has loads of skill. Don’t see him dropping at all.

That’s what I think to but man I would be happy to see him fall to 15th

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
That’s what I think to but man I would be happy to see him fall to 15th
I think there will be a player or two projected to go top 10 there when you guys pick, I just can’t see it being Boldy with the way he played at the U-18s. It’ll more likely be Podkolzin or Krebs, who have looked good due to their hard working, energetic games, but really haven’t shown elite offensive abilities. Could also maaaybe see Zegras dropping a bit if teams value analytics, his aren’t very strong IIRC.

Reactions: Vachon23

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Krebs looks plenty good to me offensively. Would love it if he fell to #12, but I don't see it happening.

Reactions: Dominance

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
Krebs looks plenty good to me offensively. Would love it if he fell to #12, but I don't see it happening.
Of course he’s great offensively, just like most players in the first round. Don’t think his point potential is as high as players like Caufield, Newhook, Zegras though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think there will be a player or two projected to go top 10 there when you guys pick, I just can’t see it being Boldy with the way he played at the U-18s. It’ll more likely be Podkolzin or Krebs, who have looked good due to their hard working, energetic games, but really haven’t shown elite offensive abilities. Could also maaaybe see Zegras dropping a bit if teams value analytics, his aren’t very strong IIRC.
Think several teams between 3-6 opt for a C which could push down a winger.

Byram goes off the board by pick 5 IMO. Any of Turcotte, Cozens, Dach can go there as well. Podkolzin if he’s not gone by Detroit could fall outside the top 10.

With Edm, Buf and Ana comes down to what they like. Krebs and Zeg can play both C and W which gives flexibility to C heavy teams like Buf and Edm. Gives them the option to deal a roster C like RNH or Reinhart if needed and still have depth at the C spot.

I think a team does go for a D in the top 10. Comes down to what those teams prioritize.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Kakko is a winger, so Boldy will not be the first winger drafted.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I’ve been most impressed by Boldy this tournament (yes even over caulfield and Hughes). I don’t see how he doesn’t got top 5 even though he’s a winger. Rather have an elite winger than a 2C like I think Turcotte and Cozens project to be and I think he’s more valuable to a team than Podkolzin will be who I think is more 1 dimensional than Boldy. He’s the whole package and the way he plays with his size should translate to the NHL pretty easily. Future star in my eyes.

couldn't agree more. feels like he's slid under the radar because other guys have had bigger profiles for longer. but when i saw the us team, he was the most impressive/dominant outside hughes. you don't see the agility / hockey sense he has at that size frequently. he's also been on a huge upward trajectory the last year+, thats not a small thing at this age. going to guess the pro scouting community didn't miss him though, if he makes it to 8 i'll be shocked. future jamie benn

Reactions: Mike27Devils

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He does not skate well enough at this current juncture to play center imo.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He does not skate well enough at this current juncture to play center imo.

How significant is the difference between his skating and Kotkaniemi? Virtually the same build, Kotkaniemi was considered a "decent skater" who could use improved acceleration and whose stride needed refinement. He was drafted #3 overall and performed at a nice clip in the NHL as a first year player with plenty more upside despite skating "flaws".

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How significant is the difference between his skating and Kotkaniemi? Virtually the same build, Kotkaniemi was considered a "decent skater" who could use improved acceleration and whose stride needed refinement. He was drafted #3 overall and performed at a nice clip in the NHL as a first year player with plenty more upside despite skating "flaws".

Similar, but I think Boldy has better edges. He gets around the ice better than his acceleration would indicate he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad