LW Matthew Boldy - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 12th, MIN)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think people really underestimated this draft, lots of high end talent in the top 12.

Wow... the irony of your post is that our director of Scouting literally talked about their top 12, as it seems like they listed 12 good players they will try to target at 10.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You do realize that he's playing for the first team in NHL history that will have four top-10 draft picks in the same year. Maybe five. Hell maybe six if a team covets Knight.

That's like saying "hey that girl is the ugliest of those 10 Victoria Secret models"

Every draft prospect has stuff they need to work on. They're 17. If overhandling the puck was a huge deal, Hughes would be ranked 50th.

He’s projected as a top 10 pick. I don’t think it’s a big ask that he doesn’t get outplayed by four forwards on his team who are in the same draft as he is. Not every player in the draft is going to turn into a star. There’s a good chance that 1-2 of those five don’t turn into impact NHL’ers, so I think one of the main things that could be an indicator there is what they’ve done pre-draft. Boldy hasn’t been as good as his teammates this season or last season. Maybe he outplayed Zegras last season, but that’s also questionable.

I’m pushing back on this idea that Boldy is going to go right into the NHL immediately and be some Tkachuk clone. I don’t even think he plays that much like those two players. He looks like them more than he plays like them. He’s had a good tournament so far, but the majority of people making these types of comments haven’t watched him play this season. I think he has a good level of talent, but he’s still a few years from being NHL ready. I’m merely adding some context. Boldy would be a top five pick if he was as good as some are advertising.

Reactions: Castle8130

kingblue

Nov 16, 2018
St. Louis
Having another great game. He’s so damn deceptive and his awareness of where the puck is going and where it should go next is maybe top 5 in the draft. Only thing keeping him from the top is his position and skating.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He’s projected as a top 10 pick. I don’t think it’s a big ask that he doesn’t get outplayed by four forwards on his team who are in the same draft as he is. Not every player in the draft is going to turn into a star. There’s a good chance that 1-2 of those five don’t turn into impact NHL’ers, so I think one of the main things that could be an indicator there is what they’ve done pre-draft. Boldy hasn’t been as good as his teammates this season or last season. Maybe he outplayed Zegras last season, but that’s also questionable.

I’m pushing back on this idea that Boldy is going to go right into the NHL immediately and be some Tkachuk clone. I don’t even think he plays that much like those two players. He looks like them more than he plays like them. He’s had a good tournament so far, but the majority of people making these types of comments haven’t watched him play this season. I think he has a good level of talent, but he’s still a few years from being NHL ready. I’m merely adding some context. Boldy would be a top five pick if he was as good as some are advertising.

Big difference between outplaying and outproducing.

Boldy has had long stretches where he’s outplayed every forward on this team.

I’ve watched him for two years. He hasn’t had a “good” tournament. He’s had a dominant tournament.

Then again, “good” is subjective. I think good means slightly better than average. Boldy’s season has been excellent, borderline dominant when you consider his role, two-way play and scoring.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Apparently the Wings management were already loving his game so much so it wouldn't surprise me if he went as high as 6th...

Yzerman is in charge now, so the team's preferences might change.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Having another great game. He’s so damn deceptive and his awareness of where the puck is going and where it should go next is maybe top 5 in the draft. Only thing keeping him from the top is his position and skating.

I have read most of the prospects today and almost every one says the same "maybe Top 5"
This draft is wide open after Hughes and Kakko. 3-10 in almost any order. Byram seems like the only lock Top 5.

Boldy
Krebs
Zegras
Cozens
Dach
Byram
Pod
Turcotte

HM: Caufield, Newhook

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I’ve been most impressed by Boldy this tournament (yes even over caulfield and Hughes). I don’t see how he doesn’t got top 5 even though he’s a winger. Rather have an elite winger than a 2C like I think Turcotte and Cozens project to be and I think he’s more valuable to a team than Podkolzin will be who I think is more 1 dimensional than Boldy. He’s the whole package and the way he plays with his size should translate to the NHL pretty easily. Future star in my eyes.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I’ve been most impressed by Boldy this tournament (yes even over caulfield and Hughes). I don’t see how he doesn’t got top 5 even though he’s a winger. Rather have an elite winger than a 2C like I think Turcotte and Cozens project to be and I think he’s more valuable to a team than Podkolzin will be who I think is more 1 dimensional than Boldy. He’s the whole package and the way he plays with his size should translate to the NHL pretty easily. Future star in my eyes.

I don''t think anyone other than Caufield and maybe Newhook have done more to increase their draft stock in the U18s than Boldy has. I'd love the Canucks top take him at 10, but I don't think that will happen now. I think we may have to settle for Zegras or Podkolzin, which I'm OK with.

I'd be curious to see what Hawks, Avs, or Kings fans woulds think about taking Boldy with their picks?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
been saying it all year - might lack the true elite talent, but from 1-10 there are plenty of gems here. when the US has a strong draft and Canada has a strong draft it usually turns out very very good. 2016, 2010,2003, etc...add to the fact that this draft is filled with centers which last year lacked and you have the makings for a really good draft...maybe not deep in rounds 3 on down, but a strong top 60. The only thing that kind of hurts this year is the overall OHL crop, but the WHL has totally stepped up this year which has kind of evened it out.

OHL is weak for sure but this might be the best the WHL has ever been off the top of my head. One thing with your post too is that maybe the third round down is weak. But who really knows at this point, those guys are crapshoots every year. Right now there could end up being 10 stars from round 3 on, we just dont know it yet.

Probably the USA's strongest draft class ever? One of the best from the WHL, weak from the OHL sure but if it was a good OHL draft year too we might be talking about a 2003 draft again. Lots of centers that belong high on draft lists as well

Reactions: AmericanDream

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
You do realize that he's playing for the first team in NHL history that will have four top-10 draft picks in the same year. Maybe five. Hell maybe six if a team covets Knight.

That's like saying "hey that girl is the ugliest of those 10 Victoria Secret models"

Every draft prospect has stuff they need to work on. They're 17. If overhandling the puck was a huge deal, Hughes would be ranked 50th.

I mean I'll take the 9th ugliest....not sure about the 10th.

Would that be Behati?or Decker? or Hosk?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Big difference between outplaying and outproducing.

Boldy has had long stretches where he’s outplayed every forward on this team.

I’ve watched him for two years. He hasn’t had a “good” tournament. He’s had a dominant tournament.

Then again, “good” is subjective. I think good means slightly better than average. Boldy’s season has been excellent, borderline dominant when you consider his role, two-way play and scoring.

I've also watched him for two years. He's been outplayed for two years by all of those players mentioned, except potentially Zegras last year, but that was more due to Zegras playing a smaller role as the third center. This season Zegras has outplayed Boldy with a bigger role. Besides, his dominant tournament comes with two phantom assists that he didn't get, so its not as good as it may seem on the scoresheet.

And you are right, good is a subjective term. Boldy's a good player. The question is how good and where should he be picked. I tend to think some people have him ranked a little too high. He's been outproduced and played all season by all these forwards, in my opinion. He's a winger and he lacks great skating acceleration. I don't see him as being anything more than 10/11/12 range. I think you are getting bad value if you are considering him in the 5-9 range, which some people are listing him as.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Why is he going to Boston College, haven't they been weak the past few years?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have read most of the prospects today and almost every one says the same "maybe Top 5"
This draft is wide open after Hughes and Kakko. 3-10 in almost any order. Byram seems like the only lock Top 5.

Boldy
Krebs
Zegras
Cozens
Dach
Byram
Pod
Turcotte

HM: Caufield, Newhook
and remember, Kaliyev has been doing crazy stuff in the OHL. Would even like to see more of Brink. He hasn't looked out of place, at all.

Reactions: Mitts888

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don''t think anyone other than Caufield and maybe Newhook have done more to increase their draft stock in the U18s than Boldy has. I'd love the Canucks top take him at 10, but I don't think that will happen now. I think we may have to settle for Zegras or Podkolzin, which I'm OK with.

I'd be curious to see what Hawks, Avs, or Kings fans woulds think about taking Boldy with their picks?

He's moved up to top 5 for me (Kings fan):
Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Byram
Boldy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->