LW Matthew Boldy - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 12th, MIN)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looking back at this season...why are Wild fans again supporting the notion of Boldy learning to play centre?

He was a center before joining the NTDP. It's not completely foreign to him. I don't think it's unreasonable to try him out again at center, and see if he can play the position. It probably suits his game better, but after a few years of not playing the position, it might not work as well in practice as it does in theory.

Reactions: Dominance

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
He was a center before joining the NTDP. It's not completely foreign to him. I don't think it's unreasonable to try him out again at center, and see if he can play the position. It probably suits his game better, but after a few years of not playing the position, it might not work as well in practice as it does in theory.
BC gave him a shot at center for about 9 games with Newhook and Rasanen playing a good amount of minutes and it didn’t work great. He played decently but it didn’t allow him to play with the same freedom as he has as a winger. In the past 10 games his assertiveness is way up, he’s not thinking when making plays and is playing at a higher speed. It’s not that he played badly as a center but he’s just much better as a winger. I think his ceiling is a lot higher as a winger too.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
BC gave him a shot at center for about 9 games with Newhook and Rasanen playing a good amount of minutes and it didn’t work great. He played decently but it didn’t allow him to play with the same freedom as he has as a winger. In the past 10 games his assertiveness is way up, he’s not thinking when making plays and is playing at a higher speed. It’s not that he played badly as a center but he’s just much better as a winger. I think his ceiling is a lot higher as a winger too.

I think it could be tried again next season at BC, but he might now have winger instincts instead of center instincts having played winger the prior two seasons.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I think it could be tried again next season at BC, but he might now have winger instincts instead of center instincts having played winger the prior two seasons.
They definitely could especially if Newhook leaves. Always the biggest worry is a player getting discouraged because they’re trying to adjust to a different position. I think all too often people misjudge how hard it is to play center vs. wing, and it goes both ways too.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’d love to see him be a center, and, having watched over 15 BC games this year, I can say that I don’t think his game has really taken a huge uptick on the wing. He’s just finishing now and has Newhook to play with so he’s not forced to do everything himself. That being said, if he can either be a 50 point C or a 70 point winger, Line him up on the LW.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I’d love to see him be a center, and, having watched over 15 BC games this year, I can say that I don’t think his game has really taken a huge uptick on the wing. He’s just finishing now and has Newhook to play with so he’s not forced to do everything himself. That being said, if he can either be a 50 point C or a 70 point winger, Line him up on the LW.
Well that's just it. If he shows his qualities way more on the wing, just keep developing him on the wing. Don't try to force him into a different position just to be cute or smart.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Him and Kaprizov on the left side. Fiala on the right. Get lucky with the lottery and draft Byfield for your centre. Khovanov in a couple years for your number 2 centre and hope Kunin keeps progressing.

Kaprizov Byfield Fiala
Boldy Khovanov Kunin

Lots of hoping there. Also hope Kahkonen can be the answer in net.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Him and Kaprizov on the left side. Fiala on the right. Get lucky with the lottery and draft Byfield for your centre. Khovanov in a couple years for your number 2 centre and hope Kunin keeps progressing.

Kaprizov Byfield Fiala
Boldy Khovanov Kunin

Isn't Fiala a natural left and Kaprizov plays right?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

Kaprizov Byfield Fiala
Boldy Khovanov Kunin

This looks much less hopeful workout Byfield, though. Minny are currently 12th worst league wide, and very unlikely to finish worse than 8th worst. So their shot at Byfield is very, very small, they need to get extremely lucky. It’s wayyyy more likely that they make the playoffs than miss the lottery.

A MUCH more realistic C target for Minny is someone like Dylan Holloway, though even he might be gone by the time they pick. That’s why Minny fans are really hoping Boldy can become a C, though I agree with the consensus that this is a bad idea, and he’s better on the wing.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Kaprizov Byfield Fiala
Boldy Khovanov Kunin

Honestly, even if it just turns out to be

Kaprizov - Eriksson Ek - Fiala
Boldy - Khovanov - Kunin

There's still a lot of hope there, depending on what Kaprizov, Boldy and Khovanov end up becoming.

My worry about Kahkonen possibly not being the answer in net is dwindling pretty fast. He has checked every box so far.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Greenway needs to be more consistent. As is, he will be dominant physically every three games. Has some decent passing, vision, and pucks skills that will allow him to be a middle six player, not just muscle. Willing two way player.

I don't see him being moved. I can see him doing the dirty work on an otherwise smaller, skilled line. Since trading Coyle and Nino the Wild are lacking size and strength, and Greenway makes up for a lot of those missing attributes.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What about Greenway? Does he figure in to the future plans for the Wild?

He's a bottom 6 player. May be moved this summer as part of a trade for a center, who knows, may be kept to be a big body in the bottom 6 that can add some offense once in a while. But he doesn't factor in when you're talking about the potential future top 6 and guys like Fiala, Kaprizov, Boldy.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
As crazy as it sounds he might be one of the more underrated prospects the Wild have in my mind. I feel outside the fan base everyone is talking about Rossi, Addison, Kaprizov, and Khovanov.

in the Wild fan base he is often rated the 3 best prospect. For all we know he could be the top line winger of the future.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Boldy jumps off the ice with his natural ability and athleticism. He certainly looks like a future Top 6 forward, but he still has a ways to go. Love his ceiling though, I think he is just scratching the surface.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
He's been great in his first 2 games back. Even without Newhook centering his line being at Canada's WJC camp, he's still been dynamite. His confidence is really high and playing awesome. He's become an absolute weapon on the PP. I would actually say his skating looks improved this year too, he seems to be a step quicker than last year. He still needs to improve defensively, had a couple hiccups Friday night where he sagged off assignments in the Dzone which resulted in goals but was much better in game 2.

There's always a question on how a winger will play without a high end playmaking center to set them up and I was interested to see how he'd play without Newhook to start and he answered a lot of questions in that regard. He carried the play, created his own chances and was really impressive this weekend

Reactions: WILDTATE10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad