LW Matthew Boldy - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 12th, MIN)

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
12 points in 12 games since being switched to LW. Has looked really good. Should be ready to jump into the lineup after his season ends next year (hopefully).
Same with Holloway, Wisconsin tried to make him a center, but it hasnt worked out... Since he has been moved to wing, he is onviously more comfortable and gets more scoring chances...

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
12 points in 12 games since being switched to LW. Has looked really good. Should be ready to jump into the lineup after his season ends next year (hopefully).

I'd be surprised if he leaves after this year. He still needs some development and it would really help him to have another year. Yes, he's stepped up his scoring but he's been playing well all year anyways, was just snake bitten. He needs a bit more time and it would help him to dominate next year, refine his defensive game a bit and get stronger. I don't see him jumping into an NHL lineup right now and another year of college could do him well.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I'd be surprised if he leaves after this year. He still needs some development and it would really help him to have another year. Yes, he's stepped up his scoring but he's been playing well all year anyways, was just snake bitten. He needs a bit more time and it would help him to dominate next year, refine his defensive game a bit and get stronger. I don't see him jumping into an NHL lineup right now and another year of college could do him well.
Yeah I agree with you. That’s why I said after next year. I probably could’ve worded that better. I’ve watched 10+ BC games this year and it’s pretty obvious that he’s still got things to work on. Strength is a pretty generic one to say, I think all NHL players are always training to be stronger in the puck/more explosive, etc. What I would like to see him work on is his compete level.

Reactions: sigx15

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I expect to see him back at BC next season and playing in the AHL the season after that.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Another 1 + 1 so far with today with one period left.

edit: scores again at the end of the 2nd so it’s 2 + 1 with a period left

Last edited:

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Asked this in the Tomasino thread but figured not everyone might be following both prospects, so I'll ask it here as well

Right now which prospect would you rather have

Philip Tomasino or Matt Boldy?

Tomasino is currently at 1.75 PPG in the OHL this season

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Tomasino looking like a good pick, but Im good with Boldy. Dont let the disparity in scoring fool you. The OHL is not the NCAA

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Tomasino looking like a good pick, but Im good with Boldy. Dont let the disparity in scoring fool you. The OHL is not the NCAA

No of course I know that. I don't follow prospects that closely but I'm well aware of the difference in competition between leagues (NCAA vs OHL)

But I was under the impression Tomasino was supposed to have a decent 2-way element to his game. Since that's supposed to be one of Boldy's strongest assets (at least I thought it was?) and with Tomasino's up tick in scoring (just over 1 PPG in his draft eligible season vs 1.75 PPG this season) was just wondering if anyone preferred Tomasino to Boldy as a prospect now.

Thanks for your reply though

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
At this point, most of us have no clue who is going to be better. At the draft, Boldy's size, shot, and ability to play both ways reminded some of Stone. Tomasino seemed slighter, though a great skater. Who really knows?

Reactions: Dominance

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Asked this in the Tomasino thread but figured not everyone might be following both prospects, so I'll ask it here as well

Right now which prospect would you rather have

Philip Tomasino or Matt Boldy?

Tomasino is currently at 1.75 PPG in the OHL this season
Not a chance I’d move Boldy for Tomasino if given the opportunity

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Big Tomasino fan, and I still go with Boldy as I was also a big fan of his too and figured something had to give for the lack of production early on. I think once both eventually make the NHL they'll be the feature of many HF polls and have a similar relative NHL impact.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like he’s been on a tear- and as productive as any other college player from 2019- since about the 10 game mark.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Wheeler said in his Q&A that he gets the sense that Boldy wants to be one and done. Whether that’s the right call or not is still in question, but it will be interesting to see if the Wild bring him to the AHL next year. I think I’d rather just let him stay at BC and play center next year and jump straight to the NHL the year after. Either way, 20 points in his last 16 games. The first 8 of those he was in a checking line, too. 14 in last 8 games since being put with actual players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Unless he is really physically mature, I'm all for leaving him in college. He has good size, but doesn't look all that strong right now.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Ya, I'm good with one and done for Boldy. I'd like him available for the Wild next year if he keeps this up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad