Value of: LW Matt Beleskey at $950k

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Saw it mentioned in another thread, but I wonder what it'd cost to convince the Rangers to eat another half of that contract for another team. Mid round pick or B prospect? He's been an abomination this season but as a possible bounce back, he'd be a decent gamble at under $1m for the next two seasons. At that price he wouldn't have a cap impact if he doesn't find his game again at the NHL level if he cleared waivers. For the Rangers, it would be slightly cheaper than buying him out this summer. Thoughts?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Saw it mentioned in another thread, but I wonder what it'd cost to convince the Rangers to eat another half of that contract for another team. Mid round pick or B prospect? He's been an abomination this season but as a possible bounce back, he'd be a decent gamble at under $1m for the next two seasons. At that price he wouldn't have a cap impact if he doesn't find his game again at the NHL level if he cleared waivers. For the Rangers, it would be slightly cheaper than buying him out this summer. Thoughts?

Only one team can retain on one player up to 50% of his total salary [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CacOBG

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
No one is taking him. Maybe for future considerations or a conditional seventh

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
You can only retain on 3 contracts. I have to think you save one for Staal and one for Henrik. Can't say se use the other to save minimal money on Beleskey.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Only one team can retain on one player up to 50% of his total salary[mod]
I've never read anything regarding this rule on this site or in the CBA. And I can't see a reason why they'd prevent teams from doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You can only retain on 3 contracts. I have to think you save one for Staal and one for Henrik. Can't say se use the other to save minimal money on Beleskey.
Three per season. Nash's will be gone starting next year and I can't see either of the players you've mentioned being moved at the deadline.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I've never read anything regarding this rule on this site or in the CBA. And I can't see a reason why they'd prevent teams from doing it.

Go check the CBA again, I'm trying to think of the section but last time I looked at it was in December on my laptop that I no longer have (nephew spilt pop on it while playing minecraft or something) and i dislike reading long stories on my phone as the screen is small and wastes to much of my time.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Also the condescending tone is completely unnecessary.
Only 50% of a salary can be retained

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Capfriendly seems to have this rule in the GM tool. There's still some very vague wording regarding it. I'm not convinced one way or another. I'm just assuming it's legal.

Last edited:
Reactions: FameFlame069

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
But still you have a good basis Belesky at 1.9 isn't bad, maybe take a contract back of a plug who's getting 1.5-2m, maybe Bells just needed a change of scenery?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Only 50% of salary can be retained by one team, Oilers ate half of Dubnyk's salary when they traded him to Nashville and then Nashville ate some more salary when they traded him to Montreal.

Do you have proof of this? Cause the cba says only up to 50% of the total salary can be retained

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Yep, I seem to remember the same thing with Dubnyk. He was traded with 50% retention to Nashville. Nashville then retained 50% of the remainder and traded him to Montreal. Edmonton was paying 50% of the total salary, Nashville and Montreal 25%.

And the edit below proves it:

Last edited:

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
I checked the CBA, and you're right (OP) you can do it, two teams can retain on the same player(Boston retains 50% of 3.8m so 1.9m stays with Boston and then Rangers can retain another 50%/25% of the total cap hit/salary and it doesn't affect what Boston pays)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If there’s 1 million or less on the cap who cares . He also has a shot at 4th line duty given the current roster

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Only 50% of salary can be retained by one team, Oilers ate half of Dubnyk's salary when they traded him to Nashville and then Nashville ate some more salary when they traded him to Montreal.

I was trying to think of this . I knew it happen once or at least I thought it happen once on a former Oiler player

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Depends if there are still some teams out there who consider him a "NHL player".

Even 950K still seems pricey for a reclamation project who is currently struggling at the AHL level.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Hm. I really thought he would do well in Boston after his performance in the 2015 playoffs.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
How does a buyout work for retained salary players? It doesn't seem like you could even buy him out of half a contract.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
He's not "a decent gamble" for anyone. Since he was injured he has dropped through the Bruins depth chart like a rock. He ended up as an AHL 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad