LW Matej Blumel (2019, 100th, EDM unsigned; signed by DAL)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It looks like Edmonton did a dumb and didn't sign him before June 1 to keep his rights....

he resigned in Jan before he had his breakout--

Why do some posters naturally assume that it is because the oilers did not sign him that the team screwed up. It sounds like it was a complicated reason why he went home instead of playing in University in the states

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Playing first line with David Krejci at the World Championship and looking good. The guy had some hype but the Oilers opted not to sign him for some reasons.

I'm thinking an NHL team offer him a contract real soon? At least a two-way contract?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Playing first line with David Krejci at the World Championship and looking good. The guy had some hype but the Oilers opted not to sign him for some reasons.

I'm thinking an NHL team offer him a contract real soon? At least a two-way contract?
He will become a good NHL bottom 6 guy IMO. He skates hard, has offensive upside but also plays special teams. A useful 'swiss army knife' for someone. Somewhere between Kampf and (healthy) O. Kase.

Reactions: De Montreal
Aug 25, 2009
éal
He will become a good NHL bottom 6 guy IMO. He skates hard, has offensive upside but also plays special teams. A useful 'swiss army knife' for someone. Somewhere between Kampf and (healthy) O. Kase.
Very interesting, because I wasnt aware he was also good defensively. I thought he was mostly an offense guy.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Very interesting, because I wasnt aware he was also good defensively. I thought he was mostly an offense guy.
I could be wrong but I don't think he'll ever be a 50 point NHL player... more like a 20 to 40 range but useful. If he stays in Europe then yes he'll be an offensive guy.

I should also say, I hope I'm wrong and welcome .ppg NHL Blumel as Czechs need more good players!

Reactions: voxel

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I could be wrong but I don't think he'll ever be a 50 point NHL player... more like a 20 to 40 range but useful. If he stays in Europe then yes he'll be an offensive guy.

I should also say, I hope I'm wrong and welcome .ppg NHL Blumel as Czechs need more good players!
Agree, he is like Nikita Kucherov on rohypnol 20-50 point player.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Didn't someone this tread say he supposedly had a contract until 2024 because his Czech club wishing all the best in NA sure as hell doesn't make it sound like he does ....

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Didn't someone this tread say he supposedly had a contract until 2024 because his Czech club wishing all the best in NA sure as hell doesn't make it sound like he does ....
Well, contracts having an NHL-out clause aren't exactly uncommon in the European leagues other than KHL, doesn't mean they were wrong.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well, contracts having an NHL-out clause aren't exactly uncommon in the European leagues other than KHL, doesn't mean they were wrong.

They speculated its why the Oilers didn't sign him which makes no sense since the Oilers would've given him the same kind of standard ELC the Stars just gave him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
They speculated its why the Oilers didn't sign him which makes no sense since the Oilers would've given him the same kind of standard ELC the Stars just gave him.
Looks like this poster refuted it a year ago:
There's an extremely high chance it has an NHL out-clause, it would be super cheap for the Oilers to buyout the contract if it didn't or they could have given him a European Assignment Clause in his ELC and have him play it out overseas.

Seems like this just came down to the Oilers not wanting to sign him for some reason.
And evidently rightfully so.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
What kind of game does he play? Any chance of him competing for an NHL spot on the stars next season?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What kind of game does he play? Any chance of him competing for an NHL spot on the stars next season?

Seems likely the Stars let some of their older depth pieces go so he's have to compete with Kiviranta , Studenic and a few prospects for 3rd/4th line spots. Seems doable if he's playing well in camp.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I think he will be the third Czech to win the rocket after Hejduk and Pasta.lol

Seriously though, hell of a camp for him so far and hope he can crack the opening roster and get a full season in.

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Every position on the Stars' 4th line kind of looks like it would be up for grabs if someone steps up.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Who do you think comes out on top?

I was wrong actually looks like probably just 3 spots available unless you include the extra forward, which will most likely be Studenic or Kiviranta.

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Marchment-Seguin-Gurianov
Benn-Faksa-X
X-Glendening-X

My hope is:
Johnston, Stankoven, Dellandrea

Most likely is probably:
Blumel, Dellandrea, Kiviranta/Studenic.

I'd like to see (lines are mostly just random):
Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Marchment-Johnston-Gurianov
Benn-Seguin-Stankoven
Dellandrea-Faksa-Glendening

scoutclout

Sep 12, 2022
I was wrong actually looks like probably just 3 spots available unless you include the extra forward, which will most likely be Studenic or Kiviranta.

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Marchment-Seguin-Gurianov
Benn-Faksa-X
X-Glendening-X

My hope is:
Johnston, Stankoven, Dellandrea

Most likely is probably:
Blumel, Dellandrea, Kiviranta/Studenic.

I'd like to see (lines are mostly just random):
Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Marchment-Johnston-Gurianov
Benn-Seguin-Stankoven
Dellandrea-Faksa-Glendening

Peterson? Also I think Damiani ha a better shot at making it than Johnston or Stankoven or Bourque. Considering DeBoer said this game would play a big part in deciding who makes the team, Blumel did himself a huge favor.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Peterson? Also I think Damiani ha a better shot at making it than Johnston or Stankoven or Bourque. Considering DeBoer said this game would play a big part in deciding who makes the team, Blumel did himself a huge favor.

Ah knew I was forgetting someone, yeah Peterson will be there too most likely

I wouldn't mind Damiani making it either. He could even earn the spot as the extra forward, who knows. So yeah then probably just 2 spots open, it'll be really tough for Johnston or Stankoven to make it especially with all these more experienced guys ready to make the jump. Will need to have fantastic preseasons

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Making himself an obvious call-up, all you can ask in this situation. Stars are crushing it so not like you can really blame them for cutting him either.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00