LW Kristian Vesalainen (2017, 24th, WPG)

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Tero Lehtera and some scouts have said that Kristian is Jesse Joensuu 2.0. Can become a good player.

For us North Americans who remember Joensuu as very highly regarded prospect (especially in the couple years before he was actually drafted) that ultimately was a failure in the NHL and who proved to have extremely limited offensive upside at this level - is this a good comparison or bad one? Unaware of how Joensuu is regarded back in Finland or specific circumstances which may have prevented him from enjoying the type of NHL career many would have projected...

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
For us North Americans who remember Joensuu as very highly regarded prospect (especially in the couple years before he was actually drafted) that ultimately was a failure in the NHL and who proved to have extremely limited offensive upside at this level - is this a good comparison or bad one? Unaware of how Joensuu is regarded back in Finland or specific circumstances which may have prevented him from enjoying the type of NHL career many would have projected...

Well Joensuu is nothing to sneeze at. Has played in nhl and in team Finland.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Tero Lehtera and some scouts have said that Kristian is Jesse Joensuu 2.0. Can become a good player.

Not a good comparison, I doubt any real scouts have said that. Vesalainen has better wheels and better hands than Joensuu. Joensuu is more aggressive and physical than Vesalainen.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Good time Veikkaus TV to have Frölunda game to watch with Finnish commentator. :)

It's fair to say if he continues to play and develop like this, top 10 pick potential 2017?

Petri1981

Dec 20, 2013
Interesting prospect for sure. Doesnt have that high end skillset and talent, but I see that his ceiling could be a 50pts 2nd liner. 3/4 liner for sure.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Now that I've seen him play in the SHL, he has played better than I would have thought based on his play on the U18 national team. Perhaps he is one of those players who strive on a more structured system. He doesn't seem to have any flashy high-end qualities, but seems to be effective nonetheless.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Looks like a bud of a decent power forward to me. Can score, but is no "born" scorer by any means. Tuomo Ruutu could be a decent comparison, as far as playstyle is concerned. Perhaps his ceiling is also about there where Ruutu was in his prime.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Havnt seen him in shl, but in superelit. I would say he has all the tools, but is very uneven. He do some really good shifts, then he disapear for a couple of games. He is far from being the best in fröunda U20 team, but probabably the one with biggest potential.

Scouts like big guys and is not just big, he can skate, he can shoot, he can make the pass. He can do everything. So if he just can become more consistance I think he will go high

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Looks like a bud of a decent power forward to me. Can score, but is no "born" scorer by any means. Tuomo Ruutu could be a decent comparison, as far as playstyle is concerned. Perhaps his ceiling is also about there where Ruutu was in his prime.

How much better prospect Ruutu was than Vesalainen?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
How much better prospect Ruutu was than Vesalainen?

Ruutu was very good as a prospect, one of the best ever from Finland(and then came the injuries). From what i remember his puck skills were better than Vesalainen's.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
So someone who has seen him this year, could he be like steady 2/3 liner in SHL next season? I agree would be a good route for him.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
So someone who has seen him this year, could he be like steady 2/3 liner in SHL next season? I agree would be a good route for him.

Frölunda will likely have a deep roster next year. They have a ton of older junior players waiting to make the jump as well. Vesalainen has impressed me both in J20 and with the A team but he will have some real competition for a spot next season.

I'd say he makes the team next fall, then we will see how long he stays up. Players that age usually hit a slump at some point.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I read couple of interviews about him and he trains really hard and his test results are great. He wants to be the best and do everything he can to achieve that. Really good choice for him to go to Frölunda.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I read couple of interviews about him and he trains really hard and his test results are great. He wants to be the best and do everything he can to achieve that. Really good choice for him to go to Frölunda.

Links?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad