LW Kirill Marchenko (2018, 49th, CBJ)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Arguably the best team in the KHL lost on home ice to arguably the worst team in the league, Kunlun Red Stars
I mean you are Russian, aren't you? You of all people should know better. Why talk nonsense?

Kunlun isn't even close to the worst team in the league. They have a garbage record mostly because they were forced to play their B roster with only a couple of KHL-level players for most of the season, sometimes only 9 forwards of it, due to the corona situation and issues with visas as they are, in theory, a Chinese team. Since getting the band together they have won 4/5 against good teams like SYu and Magnitka, the only loss coming against league-leading CSKA in a tight game.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Looking at prospect polls and lists on HFB or from most North American-based observers and pundits would have you believe Marchenko is nowhere near as good as Kravtsov, Podkolzin and Denisenko. Hard to believe that.

Also...the top 3 U21 scorers in the KHL - all Columbus prospects. All on different clubs. Almost could be a future Russian line?
Marchenko (SKA) - Voronkov (Ak Bars) - Chinakhov (Avangard)

It's almost like Kekalainen knows what he is doing, even if he gets mocked constantly, whether it is taking a talented Russian in the first round because armchair youtube scouts in Toronto have never heard of him or from back in the day, going against stereotype and picking the two-way Canadian over the flashy Finn and getting roasted for it. My how time has proven him correct.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Looking at prospect polls and lists on HFB or from most North American-based observers and pundits would have you believe Marchenko is nowhere near as good as Kravtsov, Podkolzin and Denisenko. Hard to believe that.

Also...the top 3 U21 scorers in the KHL - all Columbus prospects. All on different clubs. Almost could be a future Russian line?

It's almost like Kekalainen knows what he is doing, even if he gets mocked constantly, whether it is taking a talented Russian in the first round because armchair youtube scouts in Toronto have never heard of him or from back in the day, going against stereotype and picking the two-way Canadian over the flashy Finn and getting roasted for it. My how time has proven him correct.

That is weird indeed.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Marchenko 7 goals, 6 assists, 13 points in 20 games vs, lets say Podkolzin 2 goals 4 assists, 6 points in 23 games.
- age difference, less than a year, favor Podkolzin

Marchenko ice time (only minutes)
10, 10, 11, 12, 11, 12, 14, 16, 15, 17, 14, 14, 14, 15, 14, 14, 13, 17, 17, 13

Podkolzin ice time (only minutes)
12, 12, 9, 6, 8, 8, 17, 17, 15, 20, 17, 11, 12, 12, 11, 8, 3, 12, 13, 11, 11

How is Podkolzin considered soooo much better Russian prospect what Marchenko
bizarre, really bizarre if you ask me.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Marchenko 7 goals, 6 assists, 13 points in 20 games vs, lets say Podkolzin 2 goals 4 assists, 6 points in 23 games.

Can I ask WHO considers Podkolzin so much better? The same Vancouver fans who claim he could play on their top6 riht now?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

I am preaching it for quite some time. There are narratives in modern day journalism. They are irrational hockey wise. Their ratio is based on clicks and hypes generation, mindless control obsesssion(they want the prospects in NA ASAP even if it will hurt their development and thus the actual teams that used draft picks on them) and so on. I was also saying this for quite some time that I have no idea why Denisenko is so overrated in NA. He looked very raw in the KHL and left before he could show anything hinting he is the future star they picture him in NA. It's not even that he is not good. He is, just by far not as good as the hype. Podkolzin is exactly the case of both hype generation and obsession to bring him over. they would lie a ton, just to make it look like he is mistreated in Russia, because "he is NHL ready", while he obvioulsy still struggles to find consistency in the KHL. Kravtsov is probably getting a bonus for coming over to NA within the same narrative. Marchenko on the other hand was always a less known prospect, so they just sleep well and sound on him. He might still be not the same caliber as Podkolzin and/or Kravtsov when it's all said and done, he is older than Podkolzin too, but he certainly is on a good curve in his development and if everything works out, he will be a NHLer.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Nevermind Podkolzin. Different players, different roles, risks, ceilings etc. People who believe Denisenko is much better are the real mystery.

Anyway, great game today. Other than a couple of pretty dumb tries to force the play that's not there on PP.

Reactions: Atas2000

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
loved this guy since seeing him at the worlds , him and cozens were my two fave that year . kekalanens made some excellent decissions besides the deadline gaff 2 year ago when he bought instead of sold . but thats gm'ing = its learn as you go because nobodys ever walked into the job a master at it . EVERY gms made mistakes

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
loved this guy since seeing him at the worlds , him and cozens were my two fave that year . kekalanens made some excellent decissions besides the deadline gaff 2 year ago when he bought instead of sold . but thats gm'ing = its learn as you go because nobodys ever walked into the job a master at it . EVERY gms made mistakes

That wasn't a "new GM" gaffe. In summer 2018 after they found out that Panarin was gone, the whole top of the org (including ownership and John Davidson) had a meeting and agreed unanimously that they were going to go for it that year, they were going to buy not sell. I'm glad they did.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I don't see Marchenko often, but when I do he looks like the real deal.
I don't have any complaints with Berggren and McIsaac in round - but I think Marchenko might be the steal of that round.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Is anyone highly skeptical on Marchenko? I see people either excited about his skill or they just don't know him at all.
I don't think anyone could be highly skeptical of him. Offensively, he is already 1st line player in the KHL. The only way he busts is if he stops improving at all, for some reason (unlikely). And even then, considering he was picked at #49, he is already better than most players picked at that position at their peak.

But it's understandable many people in NA don't know him. Not a high pick at the draft, not singled out during the WJC. Basically, you can only know him if you follow KHL or Columbus fairly closely.

Reactions: majormajor

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Offensively Kirill doesn't have any obvious weaks. His wristler is a laser and his one-timer is about as good, his skating is very good, his stickhandling is probably even better, and his vision isn't much behind. Don't forget, he's a LW, which is always an advantage. So I think, his NHL career is almost guaranteed.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Just for good mood purposes. There is the infamous list from now nearly a year ago.

Russian players dominate top spots in TSN’s ranking of NHL-affiliated prospects - TSN.ca

I am not even going to go into detail with other russian prospects on that hilariously absurd list, but here is a fun fact:

Denisenko in his 19 year old KHL season: 12pts in 38GP
Voronkov in his 19 tyear old KHL season: 12pts in 34GP
Marchenko in his 19 year old KHL season: 16pts in 31GP

But somehow Denisenko is the 2nd best prospect not in the NHL and those other two are not in the top50.

Reactions: majormajor

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Just for good mood purposes. There is the infamous list from now nearly a year ago.

Russian players dominate top spots in TSN’s ranking of NHL-affiliated prospects - TSN.ca

I am not even going to go into detail with other russian prospects on that hilariously absurd list, but here is a fun fact:

Denisenko in his 19 year old KHL season: 12pts in 38GP
Voronkov in his 19 tyear old KHL season: 12pts in 34GP
Marchenko in his 19 year old KHL season: 16pts in 31GP

But somehow Denisenko is the 2nd best prospect not in the NHL and those other two are not in the top50.

I fear that the only reason why Denisenko still gets ranked so highly is because he had better WJCs, you know, the huge sample size of 7 games. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad