LW Jake Neighbours - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2020, 26th, STL)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Highly skilled kid who has a pretty well rounded game already and good size at 5'11 and 201 lbs. He got a taste of the WHL last year getting into 11 games and contributing 4 assists in those games. He's started his rookie year off well so far as he has a goal and 4 assists through the first 7 games. I've watched 3 of those games and I've been impressed by him while he seems to be earning the coaches trust pretty fast. He's someone I look forward to tracking these next couple years.

Jake Neighbours at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This kid is built. Plays much stronger than everyone else on the ice. I just wonder if he's not an early maturer physically. He's not all about being stronger than everyone. There's first round talent, but I wonder how much that'll factor into his development.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
His IQ is his strongest asset. For me he and Guhle are the best 2002's in Western Canada.

Yeah I agree. Though 2020 doesn't seem as weak as I thought it might early on for the WHL. McClennon, Sourdif, Jarvis, Zary, Finley, Schneider, Rhinehart and Garand all look pretty good. Not as strong as our 2019 crop but still an above average crop for the WHL.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Yeah I agree. Though 2020 doesn't seem as weak as I thought it might early on for the WHL. McClennon, Sourdif, Jarvis, Zary, Finley, Schneider, Rhinehart and Garand all look pretty good. Not as strong as our 2019 crop but still an above average crop for the WHL.
I still see it as weak (not as bad as 2108). Most of the guys you listed I think are nothing more then Junior players. Fortunately the 2021 draft should be another strong year for Western Canada.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I still see it as weak (not as bad as 2108). Most of the guys you listed I think are nothing more then Junior players. Fortunately the 2021 draft should be another strong year for Western Canada.

The WHL is looking strong for the future. Now that Wong has committed to the Rockets it's looking much better. Wong, Guenther, Stringer, Lambos, Stankoven, Crnkovic, Tschigerl, Allan, Uchacz all look pretty good. If not for Wong and Lambos 2021 would be a pretty average crop though with no real challengers for the top 5 IMO.

It's virtually impossible to claim someone is nothing more than a Junior player at this age though. Far to soon for that. That's just as crazy as saying they are a guaranteed NHLer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Scored the tying goal with 13 seconds left then wins it in OT to give the Oil Kings a 1-0 series lead. He had a good rookie year even dealing with an injury

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think Neighbours is the best WHL forward for 2020. 12 points in 16 playoff games, he will have a big year next season after a year of improving his skating. He's such a difficult player to play against, big kid with a strong stick and a lot of skill. Benn or Hossa come to mind when I watch Neighbours play.

Lafreniere, Lundell, Byfield, Raymond and Holtz seem like the top 5 right now, but Neighbours has the tools to get in.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I think Neighbours is the best WHL forward for 2020. 12 points in 16 playoff games, he will have a big year next season after a year of improving his skating. He's such a difficult player to play against, big kid with a strong stick and a lot of skill. Benn or Hossa come to mind when I watch Neighbours play.

Lafreniere, Lundell, Byfield, Raymond and Holtz seem like the top 5 right now, but Neighbours has the tools to get in.

Not sure about a top 5 but I love this kid a lot. And I agree. Contrary to what a lot of people are saying with early lists, I like Neighbours better than Sourdif and Zary. I will get some flack here for this comment but look at this kids legs, and build. He's got Crosby-gams. Or at least what Crosby had in the Q. This kid plays very strong and is so hard to move off the puck. And the leg strength is a big reason why.

I'm not really worried about the skating, especially after what the Oil King did with TFW and from what I saw in the u17's.

I think the biggest reason Neighbours might struggle will be he might just be a man alone with this Oil Kings roster. I mean on forward... who does he even have?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not sure about a top 5 but I love this kid a lot. And I agree. Contrary to what a lot of people are saying with early lists, I like Neighbours better than Sourdif and Zary. I will get some flack here for this comment but look at this kids legs, and build. He's got Crosby-gams. Or at least what Crosby had in the Q. This kid plays very strong and is so hard to move off the puck. And the leg strength is a big reason why.

I'm not really worried about the skating, especially after what the Oil King did with TFW and from what I saw in the u17's.

I think the biggest reason Neighbours might struggle will be he might just be a man alone with this Oil Kings roster. I mean on forward... who does he even have?

Guenther but hes probably a year away from really making an impact.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’ll be interesting to see who creates separation this year between the likes of Neighbors, Sourdif, McClennon, Jarvis, Wiesblatt, etc. Zary obviously too but because he’s a late ‘01 he’s got a bit of a head start in terms of his proven WHL production. Feels like with the ‘02’s, most are generally seen in that second round/late first area of preliminary 2020 draft lists.

In a lot of way, it mimics the USNTDP crop of ‘02s. Some good talents but not a lot of separation created by top tier prospects yet and completely overshadowed by the preceding class of ‘01s and following classes of ‘03/‘04s.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Oil Kings should have a good forward group with Neighbours, Alistrov, Williams, Guenther, Souch, Kope and Atkinson. Their top line last year got big minutes and almost all the PP time so the numbers should jump up big for this group. Other than Zary the rest of the forward crop in the WHL is a big wildcard this year who could end up from mid 1sts to undrafted.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oil Kings should have a good forward group with Neighbours, Alistrov, Williams, Guenther, Souch, Kope and Atkinson. Their top line last year got big minutes and almost all the PP time so the numbers should jump up big for this group. Other than Zary the rest of the forward crop in the WHL is a big wildcard this year who could end up from mid 1sts to undrafted.

There are some pretty decent players but none that are surefire first rounders yet. McClennon in Winnipeg, Crnkovic in Saskatoon, Greig in Brandon, Sourdif and Svejkosvky in Van, Weisblatt in PA, Finley in Spokane and Jarvis, Hanas and Knak in Portland are the only real challengers in the WHL. Of those guys I think only McCLenno, Crnkovic, Sourdif, Svejkosvky, Weisblatt and Jarvis can be real challengers for the first round outside of Zary and Neighbours.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

He's quietly having a great draft year and had a big game yesterday with a hatty plus a apple. His defensive and physical presence are his best traits but there is plenty of offensive upside also. Don't think he'll reach the level of Landeskog but they play a very similar game.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015

He's been dominant vs PA tonight generating chances and hitting everything in sight.

He's always had the smarts, hands, and tenacity. His skating has improved a ton this season to the point I see him as a clear first rounder now. Makes an impact every shift, his physicality combined with skill will make him a great complimentary winger in the NHL.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He's always had the smarts, hands, and tenacity. His skating has improved a ton this season to the point I see him as a clear first rounder now. Makes an impact every shift, his physicality combined with skill will make him a great complimentary winger in the NHL.
He also scored the SO winner.

Yeah Neighbours has improved a lot this year and has been very consistent which was a knock on him last year(like with most 16 yr olds). Depends on role but see him as a 50ish point 2 way power forward. Kind of a mix between DeBrusk and Landeskog/Tkachuk. Should be a late 1st like Guhle and Schneider but all 3 should be somewhere in the 20-40 pick range. Good debate between the 3 for who's the 2nd best whler after Zary for this draft.

Reactions: Dominance

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I really like this kid. Physical, can score and contribute in many areas. Fringe 1st / 2nd round I'd say at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad