LW Jake Neighbours - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2020, 26th, STL)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
With 2 assists today he's currently leading the WHL in points with 5G+16A in 11 games. He's such a physical force and fits the Blues style perfectly
You love to see it!

Appreciate any updates you can give on the progression of his game as the WHL season goes on. I can stat watch but rarely get to see any WHL games...

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Somebody see games from him?Nummbers look great.
He's been dominant and just as good as likely top 5 pick Guenther. Such a physical force and has a couple big hits per game. Already elite defensive game to go along with good growth offensively. Should be a key player for Canada at the wjcs in the Comtois role. What he is in the nhl we'll have to see. Floor is a Sam Bennett type, realistic is Max Comtois, ceiling Landeskog/Brady Tkachuk. Blues got a stud in him and he'll likely wear a letter one day.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Good shot to be an impact NHLer IMO. No flash to his game at all, very “meh” skater, but is still very effective offensively - sees the game well and has solid hands. Only 6’, but built like a truck. Hard worker, physical, very good defensively, just does all the little things right. I can see him having Nick Foligno type upside, and he’ll likely be at least a quality bottom 6er.

Domme90

Nov 21, 2020
Looks very good in the preseason games.Very impressed about his 2 way game.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
He’s a glue/identity guy with some skill. After watching him in preseason and obvi his draft year. I’m starting to love this pick more and more.

His intensity, compete level, attention to detail in the DZ (blocking shots), his speed and physicality on the forecheck as well as net front ability on the PP with some decent hands and playmaking ability. For a 26th overall pick I can’t say I’m disappointed with what I’m seeing and why the blues went his route over some other guys.

I love the composition of that line with Neighbours-Thomas-Tarasenko. I know he’ll probably still be one of our last cuts atleast to start the year but when he’s ready to make an impact at the nhl level, this will be one excited Blues fan.

Reactions: Dominance

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
What's interesting about Neighbours is that his passing and hand-eye are both obviously very, very good, but his stickhandling isn't flashy, it's just all about efficiency. So I can see why somebody would question his offensive upside, because he isn't dangling and sniping left and right. But when you watch him over the course of a game or two, he simply does the right thing. Gives me Backes or maybe some kind of Morrow+O'Reilly hybrid vibes. Just gets the job done.

I remember when Backes first arrived with the Blues and looked like he was going to be more of a playmaker - or at least not as much of a goal-scorer. It took him a couple years to fill out, improve his skating, and adapt to center; but then, suddenly, he was a two-way beast AND more of a goal-scorer. By comparison, Neighbours' development seems to be farther along in almost all ways. He's not as tall as Backes, but he's faster and a better two-way player at the same stage.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Looks like Neighbours has made the Blues roster to start the NHL season after a very impressive training camp/preseason.

Guessing he gets the old "9 games spread out over a couple months to get a taste of pro hockey before going back to juniors to finish the year" treatment, but who knows? Wouldn't be that surprising if he stays up all year, he played up and down the lineup in preseason and 100% looked like he belonged.

Because everyone loves a highlight, had a couple real nice assists playing with Thomas and Tarasenko:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Looks like Neighbours has made the Blues roster to start the NHL season after a very impressive training camp/preseason.

Guessing he gets the old "9 games spread out over a couple months to get a taste of pro hockey before going back to juniors to finish the year" treatment, but who knows? Wouldn't be that surprising if he stays up all year, he played up and down the lineup in preseason and 100% looked like he belonged.
If he gets 9 games, I don't think it'll be spread over a couple of months. He needs to play and watching mostly for two months is not best for his development. Most likely he plays 9 games and if he shows he belongs he stays.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad