LW Jake Neighbours - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2020, 26th, STL)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Myles wood seems like a good comparison. Hope he somehow falls to the leafs
Yeah, he's not a very good skater and for his average frame that's more of an expanded negative. However, in regards to the Wood comparison Myles doesn't come close to his playmaking skills. If Wood is a very good 3rd line, then Neighbours is more of a 2nd line winger who can make plays with the puck. Not sure if he has DeBrusk's "take the puck to the net" drive, I see a lot of good east-to-west ability from him along the lines of David Perron or Travis Konecny.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
To me he should go in the 20-30 range but could see him go anywhere from 20-50, kinda similar to Maxime Comtois. While I don't think his skating is elite I'd say it's above average to where it's far from a weakness and won't hold him back. Will be interesting what he measures at the combine as to me he looks 6'1ish but hard to tell when not in person. He has a thick frame by any means and he throws it around a lot

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
don't think his skating is elite I'd say it's above average to where it's far from a weakness and won't hold him back
I think every Avs fan can use Jost as an example of skating between the juniors and the pros. If Neighbours is above-average in the WHL, that probably makes him vanilla average in the pros.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I think every Avs fan can use Jost as an example of skating between the juniors and the pros. If Neighbours is above-average in the WHL, that probably makes him vanilla average in the pros.
Yes I would agree with Neighbours likely being a average skater in the nhl. Big difference between Jost and Neighbours though is Neighbours plays a way more engaging style and quite a bit bigger(frame wise). Also think Neighbours has a better hockey IQ and skill level but big reason why Jost fails is at his size and style of play he needs to be a elite skater to succeed. I could see Neighbours top out as a Crouse/Calvert type but that's why he's expected to go late 1st-mid 2nd instead of top 10. Realistic for me is a 40-50ish depending on role kinda like Debrusks impact. Absolutely best case he becomes a Landeskog which I'm not expecting but style wise they're a good comp and Landeskog isn't a burner either

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty big fan. Quality playmaker, a real decent skater, and he likes to get his nose dirty. Think he'll make some team happy a couple years from now.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
As for his season he had a great year and improved a lot over the year, mainly his skating. Still needs to work hard but promising player who should be a 3rd liner minimum. Unfortunately the playoffs were cancelled as Edmonton was my pick to rep the whl(other than Kelowna) at the memorial cup this year and a strong playoffs would've boosted his stock. He has a huge range where he could go in the draft. Personally think he should go 20-30 but similar to Comtois can see him going anywhere from 20-50. If he falls outside the 1st some team will be getting a great value pick.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
As for his season he had a great year and improved a lot over the year, mainly his skating. Still needs to work hard but promising player who should be a 3rd liner minimum. Unfortunately the playoffs were cancelled as Edmonton was my pick to rep the whl(other than Kelowna) at the memorial cup this year and a strong playoffs would've boosted his stock. He has a huge range where he could go in the draft. Personally think he should go 20-30 but similar to Comtois can see him going anywhere from 20-50. If he falls outside the 1st some team will be getting a great value pick.
He'll probably get drafted in the same range as John Beecher last year. They're similar calibre players that play similar styles.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
IMO he will be a very good winger for Newhook-Burakovski in 2 y. He is my choice(with Reichel or Rhd Schneider-Barron)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The fourth overall pick in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft, Jake Neighbours scored 23 goals and 47 assists for 70 points in 64 games played with the Edmonton Oil Kings this year. Neighbours also played for Team Red at the CHL Top Prospects Game. This was a big improvement over his rookie season when Neighbours put up 11 goals and 13 assists for 24 points in 47 games played. His maturation really started in the 2019 WHL playoffs when he put up four goals and eight assists for 12 points in 16 games. Neighbours also had a limited taste of WHL action in 2017-18, playing 11 games and scoring four assists.

Neighbours has also had the opportunity to play for Team Canada on the international stage. He was an alternate captain at last summer’s Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, helping the team to a silver medal. He also played for Team Canada Red at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Neighbours scored three goals and three assists in five tournament games.

Neighbours developed in the AMHL where he scored the most goals and points in 2017-18 and was also named the league’s MVP. He also led Team Alberta to second place in the WHL Cup.

Our Scouting Report
Jake Neighbours Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #47

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
For the old folks here, isn't he a bit reminiscent of Brian Skrudland? Leadership and all? Maybe a tad more talented offensively.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
as far as i can see, jake is not listed whatsoever in eliteprospects top 124. if that's the
case, that's pretty ridiculous. not sure how you can build a case that keeps him totally
out of the rankings, unless they just forgot about the guy.

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

Quick highlight video for him, solid overall team player. Works hard, good IQ, and has a decent shot but not the best playmaker or skater. Should go somewhere in the 2nd round

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have nothing of substance to add to this thread but I wonder if when he was a kid and got loud his mom said "Jake Neighbours!".

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
5 foot 11 and 205 lbs.
thou...whl.ca lists him at 196 lbs

18 year old player who is 5 11 and weighs 205?
Maybe a bit overweight?

Team mate Dylan Guenther, who is about year younger (April 10th 2003 vs March 29th 2002)
is 6 foot 1 and weighs 36 lbs less.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Totally disagree with Burke’s implication there that he has bottom-6 upside. I’ve watched this guy closely for years and he has legit creating and finishing skills.

On the flip side, if he meant he has bottom-6 floor, I’d agree. This kid will make the NHL, no doubt.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Reminds me of Zach Hyman with better playmaking. Just a complete dick to play against. Doesn't really have high end skill IMO but if you go to the right areas in the NHL you don't really need to.

Nice pick for the Blues

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad