LW Grigori Denisenko (2018, 15th, FLA; claimed by VGK)

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Has good offensive potential but he has to get stronger and MUST play in top 6 role. If not, he will likely fail. With Quenneville, he's up against it. Teams in these situations should just trade these type of players for 2nd or 3rd line guys who fit their coach's plan. Otherwise you're just burning time and wasting their rookie contracts for nothing. But that is today's NHL. Playing 10 minutes or less with scrubs is shortsighted.
He played 13 and had some very nice moments during the game. He’s got a really nice shot. Q seems to like him as he took a penalty in the first 10 minutes of the game and still played 13ish minutes

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

What a rifle. Very happy that the kid is scoring at a good clip in the AHL.

Anyone who actually watches Syracuse games have any input on how Deni has been doing? His stats are pretty good and the replays definitely show he has a knack for scoring!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He’s a bit unlucky, he went over the year Florida is actually good and he doesn’t have a spot in the roster, any other previous year and he’s likely in

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
He’s a bit unlucky, he went over the year Florida is actually good and he doesn’t have a spot in the roster, any other previous year and he’s likely in
On the flip side, we're developing him: the KHL was rough to him as they didn't give him prime time; we're giving him prime time in the AHL to prepare for next couple seasons where we needed to step up.

Guys like Barkov don't need more time to develop, but most players do. We pushed some guys to the NHL far too fast (Gudbranson, Borgstrom most notably) and they never really developed their game to be impact players

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
On the flip side, we're developing him: the KHL was rough to him as they didn't give him prime time; we're giving him prime time in the AHL to prepare for next couple seasons where we needed to step up.

Guys like Barkov don't need more time to develop, but most players do. We pushed some guys to the NHL far too fast (Gudbranson, Borgstrom most notably) and they never really developed their game to be impact players
How likely do you think it is that Deni gets into the NHL next season judging by his current play? Or do you think they'll want him to marinate in the minors for another year?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
How likely do you think it is that Deni gets into the NHL next season judging by his current play? Or do you think they'll want him to marinate in the minors for another year?
Likely to get a shot; up to him if he makes it: He'll be competing with Tippett for one top 9 winger spot at least

Reactions: JohnLennon

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
got his first assists in the last two games. any more impressions?
He’s made a couple of sweet plays, but nothing super noteworthy yet. He doesn’t look out of place with Barkov though. Although that is pretty hard to do. Definitely thinks the game on a good level and I’m excited to see how he develops.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
He’s made a couple of sweet plays, but nothing super noteworthy yet. He doesn’t look out of place with Barkov though. Although that is pretty hard to do. Definitely thinks the game on a good level and I’m excited to see how he develops.
Good news! How likely do you think it is he plays next season full-time? I guess once we see if he sticks with a healthy lineup, we'll have a better idea.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Good news! How likely do you think it is he plays next season full-time? I guess once we see if he sticks with a healthy lineup, we'll have a better idea.
I’d say about 50-50. He does not look out of place but it could be a good thing getting him more big minutes in the AHL. I think he needs to get a little bigger.

Reactions: JohnLennon

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Any T-birds fans can comment on how he looks overall ? if he'S getting chances consistently ? thanks

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Mamin is what Denisenko should’ve been, at this point
What makes you say that? Denisenko was drafted out of the MHL, was always seen as a very long term project, and he's only in his Draft+4 year. Plus, Mamin is a big-bodied, North-South, high IQ winger. Hockey sense isn't one of Denisenko's best tools. He's an undersized, highly creative, East-West sniper. They're really not similar at all.

Reactions: KristichBabych

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I agree, but Denisenko is progressing, if slowly. He'll get some chances in Florida next season, let's see what he does with them. Mamin is also a few years older.
Denisenko is progressing pretty much how I would have expected.

Draft+1 Year: Dominating juniors and struggling in the pros
Draft+2 Year: Dominating juniors and doing better in the KHL
Draft+3 Year: Succeeding in the AHL
Draft+4 Year: Lighting up the AHL

Obviously he's not lighting it up, but he's only 21, and he wasted most of last year on the taxi squad, which couldn't have been good for his development.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I agree, but Denisenko is progressing, if slowly. He'll get some chances in Florida next season, let's see what he does with them. Mamin is also a few years older.
Mamin was a 2nd rate prospect. Denisenko was a touted future star(who did everything he could wrong about his development).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What makes you say that? Denisenko was drafted out of the MHL, was always seen as a very long term project, and he's only in his Draft+4 year. Plus, Mamin is a big-bodied, North-South, high IQ winger. Hockey sense isn't one of Denisenko's best tools. He's an undersized, highly creative, East-West sniper. They're really not similar at all.
You are bending it a lot. You are depicting Mamin based on his current performance totally discarding his prospect status at draft day. And you are downplaying the expectations for Denisenko big time. With you it sounds like he was some 3rd rounder. He was a mid 1st round pick who can't make the NHL at 21.

Since when are mid 1st rounders "long term projects"?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Denisenko is progressing pretty much how I would have expected.

Draft+1 Year: Dominating juniors and struggling in the pros
Draft+2 Year: Dominating juniors and doing better in the KHL
Draft+3 Year: Succeeding in the AHL
Draft+4 Year: Lighting up the AHL

Obviously he's not lighting it up, but he's only 21, and he wasted most of last year on the taxi squad, which couldn't have been good for his development.
He is already 21 and he sucks. And he never dominated anywhere. And stop pretending like not producing in his D+4 year is expected of a once highly regarded 1st rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad