LW Grigori Denisenko (2018, 15th, FLA; claimed by VGK)

rawr

May 14, 2019
Florida
Can someone tell me wtf happened to him over the last year? Looks like he’s chasing the game and he’s turning the puck over almost every shift. Something is really off.

FromRussiaWithLove

Jul 9, 2019
Saint Petersburg
Can someone tell me wtf happened to him over the last year? Looks like he’s chasing the game and he’s turning the puck over almost every shift. Something is really off.
He has been ok. Making plays and finding the net. Definitely a step down from last years' tournament but I wouldn't say he's been bad. The PP is where he put up many points last year and this time it isn't clicking.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
He has been ok. Making plays and finding the net. Definitely a step down from last years' tournament but I wouldn't say he's been bad. The PP is where he put up many points last year and this time it isn't clicking.
perhaps the best is yet to come, his talent is obvious - if he's been one of your poorer players then this Russian team is in good shape moving ahead!

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Thought he could have used one more year in the KHL, we'll see how he does.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Panthers fans, prerare to be disappointed. He is the one guy who constantly gets overrated in NA for no reason. That and the fact that he makes the jump at least 2 years too early (in his case maybe 3-4 years) adds up to a following projection: he might pan out as a player, the hype and the 1st rounder expectations he might never reach though.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Panthers fans, prerare to be disappointed. He is the one guy who constantly gets overrated in NA for no reason. That and the fact that he makes the jump at least 2 years too early (in his case maybe 3-4 years) adds up to a following projection: he might pan out as a player, the hype and the 1st rounder expectations he might never reach though.
Lol ok we’ll be disappointed then. Maybe he would’ve stayed if his ice time wasn’t so all over the place. No excuse for a kid to play 18 minutes one game and be scratched for 3 games after. Good riddance.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lol ok we’ll be disappointed then. Maybe he would’ve stayed if his ice time wasn’t so all over the place. No excuse for a kid to play 18 minutes one game and be scratched for 3 games after. Good riddance.

I don't think that a transitional year in which a prospect spends more time training with the senior squad than playing at any level, is a bad thing per se...at least if a team has good teachers working with those transitioning-kids. But it can't be dragged out too long & after a certain point, a prospect needs to get regular PT.

Plus Deni's game is simply better suited to the smaller ice & more feisty NA style of play; so I think it will be good for him (once he acclimates) either way.

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Big fan of the kids skill, not sure this is the right time to think about coming over though. Could use more time developing his overall game and building strength. Interesting all Russian posters that have seen him play regularly think he needs more time I’d be more inclined to believe them.

As an aside it’s very interesting on these boards North Americans constantly fight the idea that developing in Russia could be better than developing in a country that these kids are completely unfamiliar with. I get the minutes argument but people constantly push the idea that learning to be a pro is huge for these kids then trash the idea that these kids are learning to be pros in Russia. Very interesting

Reactions: wings5

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Big fan of the kids skill, not sure this is the right time to think about coming over though. Could use more time developing his overall game and building strength. Interesting all Russian posters that have seen him play regularly think he needs more time I’d be more inclined to believe them.

As an aside it’s very interesting on these boards North Americans constantly fight the idea that developing in Russia could be better than developing in a country that these kids are completely unfamiliar with. I get the minutes argument but people constantly push the idea that learning to be a pro is huge for these kids then trash the idea that these kids are learning to be pros in Russia. Very interesting

Pros get paid to play, and sooner or later these kids need to do that to continue developing...

Plus there are plenty of russian prospects that stayed in russia yet still failed to amount to anything...despite the hype that they were getting from that camp that is so vocal about how NA ruins russian forward prospects, at least before they failed to live up to it & were swiftly forgotten. The issue I have with the arguments that Atas & co. keep repeating in these threads is that most hyped prospects fail to live up to the hype. That isn't unique to NA-based russian forward prospects despite the way they make it seem.

Nevermind that every one of these kids has a developmental arc that is unique to them; some (like Panarin) most certainly do benefit from developing slowly & quietly, while others (like Svechnikov) are ready to leave "early" & take that next step in their development on the smaller ice of NA despite the way Atas was crying about Svech 'having thrown away his shot at stardom'.

Denisenko isn't done developing, by any stretch (and I say that as a fan of his NHL potential), but what he brings is better suited for the quicker & more hectic NA game than the open spaces & more methodical pace of hockey back home. So if he wasn't going to be seeing a more regular role at the KHL level whenever play resumed, he may well have more success earning the PT that he needs in NA.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Oh the 20 minutes he is going to get in an iferior league will certainly solve that.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Pros get paid to play, and sooner or later these kids need to do that to continue developing...

Plus there are plenty of russian prospects that stayed in russia yet still failed to amount to anything...despite the hype that they were getting from that camp that is so vocal about how NA ruins russian forward prospects, at least before they failed to live up to it & were swiftly forgotten. The issue I have with the arguments that Atas & co. keep repeating in these threads is that most hyped prospects fail to live up to the hype. That isn't unique to NA-based russian forward prospects despite the way they make it seem.

Nevermind that every one of these kids has a developmental arc that is unique to them; some (like Panarin) most certainly do benefit from developing slowly & quietly, while others (like Svechnikov) are ready to leave "early" & take that next step in their development on the smaller ice of NA despite the way Atas was crying about Svech 'having thrown away his shot at stardom'.

Denisenko isn't done developing, by any stretch (and I say that as a fan of his NHL potential), but what he brings is better suited for the quicker & more hectic NA game than the open spaces & more methodical pace of hockey back home. So if he wasn't going to be seeing a more regular role at the KHL level whenever play resumed, he may well have more success earning the PT that he needs in NA.
Name them then.

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010

Pros are paid to play and rookies are paid less because they aren’t established pros and may need time to establish themselves.
Beyond that I’m not talking about people that came over and failed I’m talking about Russian prospects from Russia that choose to stay in Russia to develop. It’s seems in this board North Americans cannot accept that in Russia players need to earn playing time because here players are force fed it if they show skill at a young age. The KHL is the Russian version of the NHL not a development league if a kid doesn’t get minutes there learning to be a pro from other professionals is valuable just like a kid playing fourth line minutes in the NHL learning from pros. The difference is if a kid is played on the 4th line with limited minutes here in NA they’re developing if a kid plays limited fourth line minutes in Russia everyone is kicking and screaming to get them here to develop.
Now for sure everyone has different development curves but the vast majority of successful Russian pros do happen to spend more time at home before coming over. I’m no expert maybe Denisenko is ready, but past cases would suggest otherwise.

edit: with regards to Panarin vs. Svechnikov some players just have the skill and physical build to make it younger, it’s like comparing Ovi to Datsyuk, Ovi and Svech are bulls and skilled Panarin and Datsyuk aren’t and required some development time. It’s usually fairly obvious which players “have it” early and which don’t.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yeah, yeah, the stupid obsession with ice time. If I were you, I would rather be concerned if he plays for the Panthers, not how many minutes he gets in the minors.
Yeah I’ll take my chances. If he’d get consistent minutes in the KHL then I’d be against him coming. But the shit show that is the khl and Lokomotiv is not ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad