LW Dennis Yan - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2015, 64th, TBL)

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm hoping the Devils take him in the draft if they end up with a pick from 15-20. I think his size and a good season putting up numbers in the Q will shoot him up the draft rankings.

Well, since we already had Yan Dennis, drafted Dennis Yan would make sense.:laugh:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Saw him for the 1st time last night. Only 1 game, but not impressed. Looks like he needs to learn how to use his teammates and how to play when you aren't given lots of time and space.

For those who have seen him more, does that sound accurate or just totally off the mark based on a teeny tiny sample.

Smitty137

Mar 14, 2013
Nova Scotia
Saw him for the 1st time last night. Only 1 game, but not impressed. Looks like he needs to learn how to use his teammates and how to play when you aren't given lots of time and space.

For those who have seen him more, does that sound accurate or just totally off the mark based on a teeny tiny sample.

I have seen him 5-6 times and honestly its hit and miss, sometimes he looks like a power forward in traffic and other times he looks completely uncomfortable. He is much better on the rush going north south cutting through traffic then when he has to accelerate after receiving a pass. Also I noticed last night (I was at the game) that he (and some others) seemed nervous to drive down the wall while facing the mooseheads top pairing. It is understandable as they tend to both be physical (fitzgerald and Hardie- especially Hardie) they also the mooseheads only half decent defensive paring in there own zone. In short he seems fine without time and space against smaller or less physical players and is sturdy on his stick regarding pokes and stick lifts but doesn't seem to like the physical game. He is good when it comes to dishing out the physical game however which is a bit strange.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
So in a way, Yan, who also played organized hockey in Russia, has been literally run through an international gauntlet of instruction. The result is an bonafide skilled forward who is one of the 2015 crop’s best pure goal scorers. Yan does not necessarily play the cliche’d “North American game”; he’s a speedy finesse winger with a world class wrist shot who thinks offense first. The benefits of playing here seem to relate more towards the maturity and humility inherent in most migratory young players who are thrust into different learning environments. Nevertheless, acutely watching him reveals an offensive talent who can think the game and not let many things distract him. While his wrist shot and IQ are his most noticeable attributes, he is a highly-reliable and inventive attacking player during 3-on-2’s and the undervalued (and oft-butchered) 2-on-2 situation — give him enough room and he’ll wire a wrist shot through a screen while cutting against the grain.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/dennis-yan/

Great option for teams without 1st rounders. Unless you're the Isles and have no options.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bump.

Yan has 17 goals and 31 points in 17 games so far. Pretty impressive point totals. Anyone watched him play this year? I honestly didn't like him at all in my viewings of him last year. Seemed very soft and the definition of a perimeter player. Was invisible in a lot of the games I watched. So, how has he been this year? Any change?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
:DHe plays with an awesome center and captain;)

That's true, I didn't even think about that. Would love to hear from someone who has watched Shawinigan play this year and if Yan has improved and is creating stuff on his own or if he's more of a bi-product of guys like Beauvillier. Anyone?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
That's true, I didn't even think about that. Would love to hear from someone who has watched Shawinigan play this year and if Yan has improved and is creating stuff on his own or if he's more of a bi-product of guys like Beauvillier. Anyone?

I was more or less just taking the oppurtunty to pump my chest out on Beauvillier.

From what I have seen and heard(not much) Yan has a really good shot and if he has time to get it off it's accurate. Would probably play best with a puck distributing center who can drive the play.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I liked this kid last year, thought he would have gone higher. Off to a good start 15 goals in 19 games with no Beauvillier on the team this year. Could be a sneaky good pick at #64 for TB.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yan's dad is Korean I think.

Yan is a very popular chinese surname. I would not be surprised if his Russian born parents are of chinese descent. Russia is right on the border of China also. If so, it would be neat that he and Cliff Pu now represent a growing demographic in the NHL one day. Hockey is a growing global sport, you got to like that.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is having a decent rookie year in the AHL so far despite missing 15-20 games... I think he cracks the Lightning lineup one day and was a very sneaky 3rd round pick for them....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad