LW Dennis Yan - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2015, 64th, TBL)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
American but he has Russian nationality too. Some loophole allowed him to be drafted in the import draft.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Okay, thanks that clears up things a bit but what a weird loophole. I read an article saying that he's going to report to the QMJHL that drafted him. How good is he and what's his potential like

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is very skilled. do not let his numbers fool you. he kind of got buried in that USNDP crowd and now he should have a solid chance to step out of the shadows and be a top player for the draft. I would say many if not most followers view him as a solid 2nd round pick....IMO, the sky is the limit for Yan if he gets the opportunity to showcase his skill and ability.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Smart move with no less than 6 players in front of him on next year's NTDP team. A top performer at the recent Select 17's, Yan should be a heavy goal scorer in a year or two if he does end up in the Q.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Denis Yan, LW – Born in Portland, Ore., Yan and his family moved back to Russia when he was seven.
“It’s a really different culture,†Yan said of Russia. “A little bit tough but I got used to it. Then my parents said we were going back and I was happy.â€
He returned to North America to play hockey as a teenager with stops in Sarnia and Detroit. He played for the NTDP last year, but was not expected to return. His globetrotting has led to some eligibility confusion and he was put into the CHL import draft instead of the OHL draft. Shawinigan of the Quebec League grabbed his rights, though he hasn’t signed on the with Cataractes yet.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/scouting-report-from-team-usas-under-18-summer-camp/

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
5 pts in his first preseason game.

HOCKEY. Striker Dennis Yan had a spectacular first preseason game with five points, enough to light a spark in the eyes of supporters. The young man will have his best season ever to be selected by a panel of National Hockey League in June.

Selected eighth by Shawinigan in the European draft, number 11 has never hesitated to come to the training camp of the team after the World Championship under 17. "My main goal was to come and play junior in Canada. It's a dream come true when I was selected because it had always been what I wanted to do. I did not want to play another season in the United States, "he admitted.

google translated

lhebdodustmaurice.com

Lucky7

Dec 26, 2008
Yan has been really good in the games he have played with the Cats this season. Really dominant. Will rise the ranking of a couple for the next NHL draft.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I'm hoping the Devils take him in the draft if they end up with a pick from 15-20. I think his size and a good season putting up numbers in the Q will shoot him up the draft rankings.

Klown

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Good size and I really liked what I saw from him in the WHC 17. Really impressed by the ammount of talents the americans are producing at the moment.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Dennis Yan

Anyone saw him play?

Hockeydb got him at 5'7 132lbs.

Eliteprospect at 6"1 187lbs

Thats quite a huge gap... He is legit 6"1 and 185+ ?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Last edited:

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Anyone saw him play?

Hockeydb got him at 5'7 132lbs.

Eliteprospect at 6"1 187lbs

Thats quite a huge gap... He is legit 6"1 and 185+ ?

The hockeydb measurements are his old ones, he has grown significantly over the past few years.

I've seen him play quite a bit this year and I have come away impressed.

A few things stick out to me when I watch him play. The first thing I notice is his calmness with the puck whether it's along the boards or in open ice. He's a smart player in his off the puck positioning and making the right/safe passes. He also possess very good puck-handling abilities.

Yan's definitely a shoot first type player but does have decent passing ability. He reminds me of Daniel Sedin (although I don't watch any nhl team other than the Canucks so he might be more comparable to another player)

Issues with his game that I've seen is that he isn't an explosive skater and doesn't have a strong first step. Another thing that may turn people off is his body language in that he sometimes looks disinterested in games and can also look passive sometimes (a reason why he reminds me of Daniel).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
is his father Chinese decent? He looks like a halfer, not that it matters.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
His family's from Russia; I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason he looks of Asian heritage.

I saw picture of him with his mom, who is Caucasion, probably his dad is Chinese? the kid looks chinese, lol. anyways. Yan is also a very popular chinese last name.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad