LW Denis Smirnov - Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL (2017, 156th, COL; unsigned)

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avs got a steal here in the sixth round.

Boom or bust type of player, but the one you absolutely love to grab that late in the draft. Oozes amazing talent particularly his vision and stickhandling.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's tied in NCAA scoring with 10pts in 4 games (?). Eliteprospects says he's played 6 games but I saw on twitter it was 4 games he played, if someone can confirm more accurately.

He's going to have a massive year regardless.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I have seen Denis play all his home games at PSU since his arrival. Colorado got a steal in the 6th round. He has vision and skill. I see a very good AHL player with an opportunity to have some degree of success in the NHL if he continues to develop. He isn't that big, so ...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I have seen Denis play all his home games at PSU since his arrival. Colorado got a steal in the 6th round. He has vision and skill. I see a very good AHL player with an opportunity to have some degree of success in the NHL if he continues to develop. He isn't that big, so ...
Luckily the league is becoming more and more welcoming for small skilled players.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm still not expecting more than an AHL allstar from Smirnov, but god damn is he tearing the NCAA up. Could be the second straight avs prospect to win the Hobey Baker.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
I'm still not expecting more than an AHL allstar from Smirnov, but god damn is he tearing the NCAA up. Could be the second straight avs prospect to win the Hobey Baker.

just curious, but what makes you believe he can't make that jump to the NHL? whats holding him back?

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
His size, unspectacular skating ability, indifferent two-way play...and the avs not usually being allowed to have nice things...

Haha yeah avs never seem to hit any really out of the park, they are good in early rounds though. This kids got the name to make it, Russian jonny Hockey? Just kidding obviously

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Haha yeah avs never seem to hit any really out of the park, they are good in early rounds though. This kids got the name to make it, Russian jonny Hockey? Just kidding obviously

Plus I'm hoping that any good luck we do have with later round russians this year is directed at Shvyryov...even though I don't actually think he'll ever come over to NA...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Plus I'm hoping that any good luck we do have with later round russians this year is directed at Shvyryov...even though I don't actually think he'll ever come over to NA...

If he's good enough, he'll almost certainly come over. All the good players I can remember, besides Mozyakin, have come over.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If he's good enough, he'll almost certainly come over. All the good players I can remember, besides Mozyakin, have come over.

Which is why I worry. That's his hometown team and Mozaykin his hero. So I'm afraid that the temptation of staying at home to replace his hero will be too great for him to ever leave.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Watched a few games this season and Smirnov has not been as dynamic as last year. Teams know about him and key on him. I think Brandon Biro is actually the more likely NHL player down the road - underrated.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watched a few games this season and Smirnov has not been as dynamic as last year. Teams know about him and key on him. I think Brandon Biro is actually the more likely NHL player down the road - underrated.
Agreed (except with Biro being a more likely NHLer), but Smirnov is coming back from an acute illness which put him out of action for almost two months. It could have effected him physiologically where he's still feeling the effects of.

Smirnov Remains Sidelined with Illness

Reactions: MatthewFlames

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Drove an hour to Mchigan to watch him and Pavlychev play, both were invisible the entire game. No notable chances for either player, but the team was shutout, so maybe just an off game for the entire team.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Drove an hour to Mchigan to watch him and Pavlychev play, both were invisible the entire game. No notable chances for either player, but the team was shutout, so maybe just an off game for the entire team.
The team had a really bad stretch before the last 2 weekends. they were winless for like a month

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I watched Pavlchev play over the weekend and he was very noticeable. Really showed his potential and looked like he good be a solid bottom six guy. He had good speed and the coaching staff used him a lot. If he plays like he did over the weekend he will surely get more point said on the board. As for Smirnov, he was a bit hit or miss each shift. He made some mistakes but overall looked decent. He didn't look like the player some people hyped him up to be but he skates well and makes great plays occasionally.

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
PSU as a whole is extremely inconsistent this year. Good showing one game (maybe not getting a W, but competitive) then complete ass the next

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad