LW Denis Smirnov - Kalamazoo Wings, ECHL (2017, 156th, COL; unsigned)

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
So is it just the lack of height that has kept him from being undrafted the last two years? He looks like he's got some great hockey sense and hands.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
listed at 5'10, theres plenty smaller. I think he was underwhelming in his draft year in the USHL. Got a change of scenery in a tougher league and blew up.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Has he been talked about in any scouting teams or will we have to wait and be surprised whether he'll get drafted or not? Clearly not a Phil Myers kinda case where the guy would have been a sure draftee in his D+1, and I'm guessinghe would have been signed already if he was, but he seems like an intriguing player that's for sure.

Edit- I know Smirnov is in his D+2 year and that the comparison is not the best but eh, it's still early in the day.. :p

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
This actually brings up a separate question.

Where would you guys rank D1 hockey in terms of level of competition?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
This actually brings up a separate question.

Where would you guys rank D1 hockey in terms of level of competition?

Better than any junior league in the world but thats all you can say really, can't compare to mens leagues though its obvious its weaker than the major ones (SHL, DEL, KHL, Liiga etc).

nvme90

Feb 16, 2017
Maryland
Smirnov isnt talked about enough. He's electric and dominating as a freshman. Would be an excellent 2nd round pick imo. Had a wicked snipe in a DOMINANT Penn State win yesterday over Union.

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
Denis Smirnov is a great player, A+ would recruit again

Figured they give Goodwin a career achievement award somewhere

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Where does everyone have Smirnov getting drafted at? Surely he has to get drafted at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad