LW Anton Karlsson - Frölunda, SHL (2014, 87th overall, Arizona)

Ace88*

Erie is actually probably one of the best places he could go considering the talent they've got there. They quickly went from absolute dog **** to one of the best CHL teams. Good for them, good for him.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Yeah. Not really much opportunity for him to make Frölunda's senior team this season.

Basically only Widerström standing in his way. Honestly, I don't think the CHL is such a bad option in this case, but gotta say that it looks rather weak from the Karlsson camp if they don't think they can overtake just one spot to make it to seniors.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Erie is actually probably one of the best places he could go considering the talent they've got there. They quickly went from absolute dog **** to one of the best CHL teams. Good for them, good for him.

Connor McDavid and a competent coaching staff will do that.

Basically only Widerström standing in his way. Honestly, I don't think the CHL is such a bad option in this case, but gotta say that it looks rather weak from the Karlsson camp if they don't think they can overtake just one spot to make it to seniors.

Maybe, but I think Arizona has a bit to do with this as well. They went OHL heavy in this years draft and it will be very easy for them to track his progress in the O. It also helps for him to come over now and adjust to the NA game for a year or two before graduating to the professional ranks. Erie is a pretty solid destination now.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

8 more players were drafted out of Frölunda this year. They are all going to be fighting for spots where they probably won't even get to play much anyway.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Maybe, but I think Arizona has a bit to do with this as well. They went OHL heavy in this years draft and it will be very easy for them to track his progress in the O. It also helps for him to come over now and adjust to the NA game for a year or two before graduating to the professional ranks. Erie is a pretty solid destination now.

Maybe, history of Swedes in the CHL says otherwise. Only 8%, generously counted, of Swedes who go to the CHL make it to the NHL.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Usually I think it's better for swedes to stay in the SHL and fight for a spot over going the CHL route but this is one of those cases where it's the right all going to the CHL. It's his chance to develop into something other than a pure grinder/defensive fwd. Playing against junior players in a more high scoring league will hopefully help him develop an offensive game which has been lacking lately.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Maybe, history of Swedes in the CHL says otherwise. Only 8%, generously counted, of Swedes who go to the CHL make it to the NHL.

Does 8% of players staying in Sweden become NHLers? Would appreciate some context on these numbers.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Curious----anyone know why he fell. I though many seemed to have him projected last 1st/early 2nd....thus 25-45....not in the 80s

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
So according to this blogger: http://mrmadhawk.se/ who is usually pretty reliable, Anton Karlsson will NOT play for the Otters this season but stay in europe and likely with Skellefteå, the SHL champs that lost pretty much all their stars this off season. Skellefteå is a great place to develop and I think it's generally better for swedes to stay in Sweden over playing in the CHL, but in the case of Karlsson and his offensive struggles I think it might have been a better choice to be a top line player in the higher scoring CHL where he can put up some numbers against inferior opponents and find his offense.
Skellefteå is a very good club though so it's in no way a bad choice.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
So according to this blogger: http://mrmadhawk.se/ who is usually pretty reliable, Anton Karlsson will NOT play for the Otters this season but stay in europe and likely with Skellefteå, the SHL champs that lost pretty much all their stars this off season. Skellefteå is a great place to develop and I think it's generally better for swedes to stay in Sweden over playing in the CHL, but in the case of Karlsson and his offensive struggles I think it might have been a better choice to be a top line player in the higher scoring CHL where he can put up some numbers against inferior opponents and find his offense.

I'm not big on roasting a guy for picking where he wants to play, but this one bothers me. He's a regressing prospect who Erie spent a pick and time on, and he's flipping them off now in the middle of August? By the U18, he barely looked like he could shift against his age group. How much development can he have this year in SWE?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

I'm not sure how reliable this guy is. He was adamant last year that Burakovsky wasn't coming, and he did.

It does seem Karlsson is staying in Sweden though, bad news for the Otters:

https://twitter.com/UffeBodin/status/499528990659710976

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Interesting. Can he join the Otters instantly?

Yes he could if he signs, he'll be in the lineup as fast as he can get the VISA paperwork complete.

I'm not optimistic though, I'm willing to bet he just signs with a differen club in Sweden. Hope I'm wrong though.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Yes he could if he signs, he'll be in the lineup as fast as he can get the VISA paperwork complete.

I'm not optimistic though, I'm willing to bet he just signs with a differen club in Sweden. Hope I'm wrong though.

Quick, someone tell him he'll play with McDavid...and show Karlsson his offensive stats. (Don't tell him he's injured). :laugh: ;)

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Back and forth we go. He needs to settle himself down, work on his offense. At this moment in time it's hard to see him as anything more than a 4th line grinder at the NHL level and those spots tend to go to NA players. If he wants an NHL career he needs to either find an offensive touch or become elite defensively. Either way he better find a place to be and start to work on his game. Good thing he seems to return to Frölunda since they are pretty much the place to be for a young hockey player in Sweden these days. Not that Skellefteå is a bad spot in any way.

Does anyone have any inside on why he even decided to go to Skellefteå in the first place?

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Does anyone have any inside on why he even decided to go to Skellefteå in the first place?

His physical values weren't good enough for Frolundas liking and wanted a guaranteed spot on the senior team. Hopefully, he's now sufficiently humbled...

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Not surprising, disappointing though. Wish he would sign in Erie, I think that would be good for his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad