LW Anthony Mantha - Val d'Or, QMJHL (2013, 20th overall, Detroit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Three things are immediately apparent after watching Mantha for more than 10 minutes: 1. He has a power forwards frame 2. He is a very smooth skater and reaches his top speed in 2-3 strides 3. His hockey sense is very strong.

His shot is based on a good release and he is not afraid to let it go. Wouldnt say its overpowering or anything, but efficient.

On a side note, Michael Beaudry is lightning fast.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Three things are immediately apparent after watching Mantha for more than 10 minutes: 1. He has a power forwards frame 2. He is a very smooth skater and reaches his top speed in 2-3 strides 3. His hockey sense is very strong.

His shot is based on a good release and he is not afraid to let it go. Wouldnt say its overpowering or anything, but efficient.

On a side note, Michael Beaudry is lightning fast.

That's nice and all but what are his flaws? Nobody is perfect :)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
6'3, 200lbs smooth skating powerforward with 2PPG

Why exactly is this guy not getting a ton of hype?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I can't believe the number of awesome prospects coming out of the Q this year. It seems to me like half the first round could be all from the Q.

:handclap:

What I saw from Mantha was a huge guy, always in a good position to take a shot. He has a solid one-timer and an accurate wrister. Good speed and very involved in the play. Uses his frame to his advantage.

Gregoire, Carrier, Erne, Gauthier, Mantha that's 5 potential power forwards coming out of the Q this season.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
It's still early and he's also the oldest player in the draft. Sept. 16th, just a day after the cutoff date.

Gabriel Landeskog was born in november 23rd, so a 2 months difference and was still selected 2nd overall.

You made 2 good points but if he continues to play like this....i hope teams will forget about his date of birth

CanuckBeSerious

Legendary Frog
Nov 1, 2011
Montréal
Not sure if relevant but here's Craig Button's tweet :

'' In Val D'Or as Rimouski visits Les Foreurs. Anthony Mantha with 3 goals & 1 assist. Top 30 for sure on next Craig's List. #2013NHLDraft"

Keeping in mind that this was before his OT Game winner.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
He's a very late '94. Plus he's shooting at like 24%, which unsustainable.

He has a very, very good shot. If you look at his statistics, he's been following this pace since 2012 began. He only had 3 goals in the first half of last season, 19 in the second half. Another thing to mention is that the Q is notorious for keeping conservative shot and hit counts. I haven't seen him play a game without 4 or 5 shots since January (I've seen him 5 times since then, twice before).

I've been trying to mention him for a while now. He had 26 points (14 goals) in his last 13 games last year. So, basically, in his last 27 games, he's 29-25-54. I know stats aren't everything, but I get to see him more often than most (being based in the same division), and there's not a whole lot not to like other than his birthday, which is not something under his control. Besides, that was one of the reasons not to draft Couturier, right? In the comparison thread, I compared his style of play to James Neal.

A bit on him before the season from FC (http://futureconsiderations.ca/qmjhl-hopes-for-draft-do-over-in-2013/):

Future Considerations said:
In his rookie season last year, Val d’Or winger Anthony Mantha appeared shy and reserved on the ice. Once he got comfortable, however, he became a game-breaker that no one quite expected.

The best pure sniper from the Q in this draft class, Mantha piled on 13 goals and 11 assists in his last 12 games last season. At six-foot-three, Mantha has a big body to go alongside his excellent wrist shot, which he loves to use ferociously from the area around the dot, and his NHL level speed. He showed flashes of aggressiveness, scoring a few driving goals late last season. More of that would establish him as a quality power forward prospect. Having started the preseason on fire (four goals in three games), Mantha is out to prove that he’s a prospect to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
He's a very late '94. Plus he's shooting at like 24%, which unstainable.
He must be on a hell of a hot streak then, since he shot 20% (21/103) from January until the end of the playoffs last season..

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Also, a scouting report from McKeen's:
Anthony Mantha (LW, 2013), Val-d’Or – talented shooter brings an impressive package of size, speed and skill .. tall, smooth, balanced skater with very good top speed .. and gets there rapidly thanks to a deceptive acceleration burst – masked a bit due to efficient mechanics .. solid crossover form – body retains shape in turns, cuts, pivots .. able to get outside defenders propelled by a swift change of pace .. bit of a ‘lurk in the weeds’ type – prowling on the edges – with a knack of popping up in a prime shooting area .. boasts a deceptively fast release on his wristshots and snappers, accentuated by a large wingspan .. retains his strength and skill at full stretch .. packs a terrific release – gets real wang on his wrister – all arms, wrists and technique .. real fluid mechanics .. setup footwork for his shot is subtle – uses quick, short strides to get body prepared quicker .. adept firing off his inside foot a la Mark Messier .. disguises intentions well – doesn’t telegraph if he’s readying for a shot or a deke .. quite adept at selling the shot and then making a no-look pass .. shows imagination as a playmaker which adds to his unpredictability .. poised and creative in-tight 1-on-1 on a goalie .. tends to operate at his own pace .. will need continued work on tempo, learning to assess options and make decisions quicker .. will also require a more complete game at the next level – doesn’t bring much energy or resolve in the defensive zone yet .. goes flat in defending sequences – relying on getting long stick and reach in lanes .. floats high in the zone, observing the cycle action – and can leak out prematurely .. does exhibit spots of physical play – frame is large and sturdy – and can create initial operating space when he applies himself – will engage contact on shoulder-to-shoulder bouts to win possession .. demonstrates good strength and power potential .. can be more tenacious, compete harder, get nastier at times .. doesn’t use his size away from the puck consistently – just sporadically .. also tends to lose steam once plays fizzle – won’t sustain compete level after being dispossessed.
http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft-blog/val-dor-sniper-anthony-mantha-scoring-respect/

Dec 2, 2010
I've liked him since I saw him in the U18s. Game + size really reminds me of Pacioretty.
More physical to me. Same as the Neal comparison. I think Mantha prefers to use speed and power over the snipe though he's capable of both. I lean towards E.Kane comparison if we're doing that.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Mantha, Kujawinski, and Dickinson, are my secret hopes for the Canucks, assuming a pick in the mid-to-late-20s (or 30).

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
So who do people think will be the better prospect? Mantha or Lazar? Both are scorers, both can skate; Mantha has the size while Lazar has the motor.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
So who do people think will be the better prospect? Mantha or Lazar? Both are scorers, both can skate; Mantha has the size while Lazar has the motor.

I don't think there are many who have seen both play. I haven't, but from what I've hard of Lazar, he's the better two way guy. As far as shooting goes though, it will be hard to beat Mantha. He can score so many different ways. Uses his size to play the angles. If the goaltender squares up to the body, Mantha shoots it using his wingspan. If the goaltender squares up to the puck, he'll deke you.

I'm more curious pairing him up with Jason Dickinson of Guelph. More similar players, though I think Mantha is the better of the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad