LW Alexander Holtz - (2020, 7th, NJD)

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
How is Holtz as a skater? From the two hlinka games I watched he doesn’t seem to have game breaking speed or at least that’s not his style of game. He seems more cerebral in that he likes to take his time to access what plays are developing in front of him. I’ve only seen two games of his so I’m curious how others would’ve watched him more would describe his skating at this stage.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
How is Holtz as a skater? From the two hlinka games I watched he doesn’t seem to have game breaking speed or at least that’s not his style of game. He seems more cerebral in that he likes to take his time to access what plays are developing in front of him. I’ve only seen two games of his so I’m curious how others would’ve watched him more would describe his skating at this stage.

I wrote this about Holtz in the Lucas Raymond-thread so might as well post it here also.

His skating does need work, but he kind of reminds me of Tavares in that way. Not super fast but "smart" skating and positioning. His hockey-IQ is really high so he almost never gets caught in a bad position where his speed works against him. Both have a great knack for finding both garbage goals and thundering slappers/wristers. Atleast that's the impression I've gotten by watching him. We'll see how it translates.

Don't get me wrong though, he's definitely not slow by any traditional means.

Reactions: grentthealien

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I think Holtz is still growing into his body. He is not a slow player, but not very fast either. Raymond makes everyone look slow, but Holtz game revolves around him capitalizing often in the offensive zone. Reminds me a little bit of Wahlstrom, but is better in the defensive zone and has a lot more tools than just being a pure sniper. He also is a tad faster than wahlstrom and is a physical force. Wahlstrom isn't a very physical player.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Honestly, he’s much more complete of a player than I was expecting. He really projects so well moving forward. There’s nothing not to love about him as a prospect, can’t wait to see where he goes from here. I don’t know and don’t care if people think he is #1, #2 or #5 among 2020 eligibles and it doesn’t matter...he’s just a flat out special prospect and the best part is he seems to have that drive and dedication off the ice to be the best.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
My god can that kid shoot the puck!! Amazing wrister, one of the best I ever saw from a 16 yrs old kid...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Different profiles, although they have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. Depends what you want. I'll take the 40 goal lock over an all around really good winger. Then again, there's no guarantee of that with Holtz, so we'll have to see how his game develops in the next two seasons.

Mauler

Dec 19, 2015
Holtz ended up scoring five of his seven points vs canada.
And the thing is he could have had much more goals he was snakebitten against Slovakia and Switzerland and i dont know how many times he hit the post this tournament but it was alot… Lafreniere is not much ahead of him dispite the Canadians hyping Lafreniere like he is a demigod

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good player with a cannon of a shot... IMO Raymond outplayed him in the HG cup.. does not mean he's not a really good prospect. Not in the same tier as Lafreniere imo.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
And the thing is he could have had much more goals he was snakebitten against Slovakia and Switzerland and i dont know how many times he hit the post this tournament but it was alot… Lafreniere is not much ahead of him dispite the Canadians hyping Lafreniere like he is a demigod
Lafreniere proved he is way ahead of holtz sadly

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
In terms of comparisons with Lafrenière, I'm going to give a bit of a hot take: Holtz is more of a flashy prospect. I know that a lot can change between now and June 2020, but in this tourney, Holtz had more moments that brought me out of my seat. Lafrenière to me, is more of a silent assassin type of prospect. One where everything that he does is excellent, but in a subtle understated way. Bottom line is that at this moment, the top of the 2020 draft is very intriguing!

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
With all respect to Raymond, Holtz and Lafreniere, Byfield could totally go first in 2020. We've gotta wait for him to prove something on the OHL, but being a huge athletic Center gives him quite the advantage over three wingers. I'm also confident Barron will find himself near the top of the draft boards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad