Sportsnet: Lupul was ’50/50′ on his future with Maple Leafs

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Should have been obvious. JVR too valuable, Kessel as well, and Clarkson unmovable. If the Leafs were to bring in a significant piece it likely would have had to be at Lupul's expense.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I liked the sense honesty that came a crossed in his voice, He seems to have a good handle on how some of the fans feel in town and he knows the task at hand is. Maybe that comes from his involvement with social media, But he is very much the voice of the room.

Other part I liked is that he mentioned the communication line between him and Shanahan; Which I feel has been lacking probably since Dryden was president. Every one else since was a either a miserable ******* or not a hockey guy.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Asked a question about his teammate. Talks about himself. Classic Lupul.
It's basically a way of saying "go ask Reimer how he felt because it's not my place." He then put things in context that a lot of people were disappointed and specifically said how he felt. If anything I appreciate that he was so open and he knows that it wouldn't be right to talk about other players returning or now.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's basically a way of saying "go ask Reimer how he felt because it's not my place." He then put things in context that a lot of people were disappointed and specifically said how he felt. If anything I appreciate that he was so open and he knows that it wouldn't be right to talk about other players returning or now.

Or he could've said the following "I'm not surprised at all, Reimer is a great goalie, and I think we're better with him than without him. Right now we have two #1 goalies."

This is a common way athletes answer the question he was asked.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
"Everyone, kind of, with how it ended, it just felt like we were all so disappointed and upset with the way it ended and you didn’t know what was going to happen.â€

Tired of hearing this bull****, I watched Lupul very closely in the games where it counted and the guy was a perimeter player, who strayed away from corners, and away from places where he may get hit. He never won any puck battles. If anyone should've been moved, it's him.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I won't disagree there. That's a good way to answer as well. But I wouldn't say it was selfish of him. He was putting things into context that the whole team was frustrated. He then related things to his own personal situation. Nothing wrong with that.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Asked a question about his teammate. Talks about himself. Classic Lupul.
lol. Asked an extremely loaded question you mean, don't you? You would prefer he throw his teammate under the bus? I thought Lupul handled that question with a lot of tact. If people are pissed off at him for some reason, it sure as hell shouldn't be for this.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
He needs to be much better, I was disappointed last season and hoped he would be moved. I think he needs to earn top 6.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I got the feeling after the 24/7 show that Lupul wouldnt mind being elsewhere. Seemed more interested in being a celebrity and the things that come with it. Maybe it's just me.

snizzbone*

For those that didnt listen to the interview, he was implying that he was 50/50 sure on if he would be traded or not. He wasn't saying he almost left the team or something. He knew big changes were coming and had obviously read the rumours.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
For those that didnt listen to the interview, he was implying that he was 50/50 sure on if he would be traded or not. He wasn't saying he almost left the team or something. He knew big changes were coming and had obviously read the rumours.

..... I haven't read any comments that would lead me to believe that anyone thought that he meant that he was 50/50 on if HE wanted to return. :huh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I got the feeling after the 24/7 show that Lupul wouldnt mind being elsewhere. Seemed more interested in being a celebrity and the things that come with it. Maybe it's just me.

It might have something to do with a television show deciding to follow him to a store to buy pants.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I spent most of last season ragging on Lupul (aka Saturday Night Lupul) but I really hope he can revert back to his usual game-breaking self this year.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I spent most of last season ragging on Lupul (aka Saturday Night Lupul) but I really hope he can revert back to his usual game-breaking self this year.

That's the thing though, last season WAS his "usual self" if you look aty his career. There's a reason the guy has been moved this many times despite being pretty talented. It's the prior 1.5 seasons that were pleasantly unusual.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Well he did mention that he would like to live/play in Manahttan and he's famously got ties to Southern California.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I thought he had a groin pull last year.

Wow, so he wasn't injured? I can't recall a bigger drop off in play ever. Once he got that big money, his modelling became his priority. At his age guys dont find another gear, we can hope he bounces back but he had something to prove(injuries?) 2 years ago. I hope we can find a team that wants him because I would have dumped him last year. If he wasn't injured that was a total disgrace last year. He doesn't like the 24/7 of Toronto but he doesn't mind taking our cash and becoming a GQ cover.

I don't see him bouncing back but rather sulking and asking for a trade to somewhere he can do more modelling. Models dont make good hockey players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad