Value of: Lupul @50℅ to Chicago

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Lupul at 50% retention would at best be equivalent to a similar healthy player with zero retention. Hence no value added in the trade via retention.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
While his home is closer to Buffalo, Girardi grew up a Leafs fan.
might be willing to waive, esp. if McDonagh + is dealt for Trouba+, adding a RD to NY.

extremely similar #s.
G has an existing NMC
G could have value as a 3rd pair RD 8-12 mins nite, not his typical 20+ and not in an AV system.
It is not clear but it seems that the NMC turns into NTC after this year (but not before exp draft).

Rangers would consider any reasonable cost that allows them to take on similar financial responsibility for Lupul, at full pop, but would have options since he doesn't have NMC and is one less headache to have to deal w/re expansion draft.

Please stop.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Feel free to keep Girardi, we're not taking him under any circumstances

His term is worse than Lupul's, and has a NMC so need to be protected, Leafs aren't doing that, thanks.

You're welcome and I got that
the ? was given this^, is there an acceptable add that would make that worthwhile.

I gather no, because of the eLC protection requirement, but it was worth discussion if you had a reasonable ask.

Closest I had was maybe Stepan + Girardi for Kadri + Lupul, but suspect may get better return, so no.

Mad Brills*

the leafs don't need girardi's deal when they have to pay jvr/gardiner + the young guys

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Chicago probably wouldn't even consider this if Lupul only had one year on his deal. But under no circumstance would Chicago entertain the idea of taking on over 2.5M dollars in Lupul's salary heading into 2017-18 when they need to re-sign Panarin. NONE. Close this thread.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I honestly think there might be a fit here. If healthy Lupul would be an amazing left winger for Toews. He still has offensive ability and when healthy is a 60pt winger. Toronto badly needs to move him out to make room for younger prospects and would likely let him go for a fairly low asking price. I'd assume the Leafs would be happy with a bprospect or pick at this point. What would Chicago fans offer?

Blackhawks don't need a injury prone, broken down bottom 6 winger. You say if he's healthy he'd be a good LW, but he won't be healthy. I seriously doubt he'll ever be healthy for a full season ever again.

There is one team I could see MAYBE showing interest, and that's Arizona, simply so they could toss him on LTIR, and have a contract that pays less than the caphit, just so they can reach the floor.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You're welcome and I got that
the ? was given this^, is there an acceptable add that would make that worthwhile.

I gather no, because of the eLC protection requirement, but it was worth discussion if you had a reasonable ask.

Closest I had was maybe Stepan + Girardi for Kadri + Lupul, but suspect may get better return, so no.

I feel like "we're not taking him under any circumstances" covered that part of the question

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
The real question is: what is truly the value of a bag of broken glass? I mean, we can include some gorilla glue and you can have a weekend project to try and put it back together?

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Vancouver is looking for a 2nd line scoring winger to play with Sutter. I first thought of a trade for Lupul, but reading this post it looks like I was greatly over valuing Lupul.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Vancouver is looking for a 2nd line scoring winger to play with Sutter. I first thought of a trade for Lupul, but reading this post it looks like I was greatly over valuing Lupul.

No, his skill has never been in question. You're bang on in that assumption; always produced while in the lineup. It's just you can always put a garuntee on him being injured every season- it's just whether it will be 15 games or like 60...

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Lupul is coming up on a contract year, where I assume he will play his ass off, much like he did in toronto before getting a new contract and then completely disappearing into the fashion scene.

This guy avoids contact at all costs, closest thing I've seen him get to a body check is a light cross-check to the lower back of an opposing player... and he someone always times is forecheck just right, as to never make it in time to finish a hit lol.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The answer is NO and it has nothing to do with his skill or inability to stay healthy. The answer is NO because even at 50% retained it would cost the Hawks $2.65M against the 2017/18 Cap when Panarin' new contract will kick in and there's no way Stan ties up $2.65M when he needs that cap space for Panarin.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Lupul is coming up on a contract year, where I assume he will play his ass off, much like he did in toronto before getting a new contract and then completely disappearing into the fashion scene.

So you're saying he's going to have a glute strain injury? There's probably 20 games right there :)

ForSpareParts*

I honestly think there might be a fit here. If healthy Lupul would be an amazing left winger for Toews. He still has offensive ability and when healthy is a 60pt winger. Toronto badly needs to move him out to make room for younger prospects and would likely let him go for a fairly low asking price. I'd assume the Leafs would be happy with a bprospect or pick at this point. What would Chicago fans offer?
You have to factor in age as well as wear and tear with Lupul. No way he reaches 60 points ever again.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
You guys lost your chance when you wanted schmaltz and teuvo + Bickel for a lupul. Even Stanley isn't that dumb!

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Lupul does not belong on a line like Toews which is counted on to be defensively responsible. Lupul's defensive game is utterly terrible.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
There isn't such thing as a healthy Lupul. He's been injured so much he can't skate anymore. Even he admitted last season that he feels the game is too fast for him. I think he's done and I'd be really surprised if another team would want him even at a discounted cap hit.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
There isn't such thing as a healthy Lupul. He's been injured so much he can't skate anymore. Even he admitted last season that he feels the game is too fast for him. I think he's done and I'd be really surprised if another team would want him even at a discounted cap hit.

If this is the case, Lou will just tell him he didn't make the team.

Its obvious he thinks this way. Not have TML on his twitter, giving up his locker room stall. He says he still wants to play for us, but another side says he won't.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's sad if his career is really over due to injury. He was really good at times, and I'll never forget this goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00