Value of: Lupul @50℅ to Chicago

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I honestly think there might be a fit here. If healthy Lupul would be an amazing left winger for Toews. He still has offensive ability and when healthy is a 60pt winger. Toronto badly needs to move him out to make room for younger prospects and would likely let him go for a fairly low asking price. I'd assume the Leafs would be happy with a bprospect or pick at this point. What would Chicago fans offer?

Mad Brills*

blackhawks don't have the room for a 50% lupul by the way, they'd be 300k over the cap.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Chicago don't have any salary they'd be looking to lose in exchange for Lupul.

Mad Brills*

Chicago don't have any salary they'd be looking to lose in exchange for Lupul.

Yeah, I mean lupul at something retained for bickell and teuvo was resonable, but that's obviously not happening.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I honestly think there might be a fit here. If healthy Lupul would be an amazing left winger for Toews. He still has offensive ability and when healthy is a 60pt winger. Toronto badly needs to move him out to make room for younger prospects and would likely let him go for a fairly low asking price. I'd assume the Leafs would be happy with a bprospect or pick at this point. What would Chicago fans offer?

If healthy......:joker::joker::joker::joker::joker: :popcorn:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Chicago really doesn't have much to trade. They don't have some equivalent salaried cap dump to balance out. They send a roster ELC back it will still cost them around $2M in cap space. They add another, they still need to replace that roster spot.

Mad Brills*

lupul at 50% isn't a crazy idea to be moved, providing the leafs are taking garbage salary in return of equal or less term.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
lupul at 50% isn't a crazy idea to be moved, providing the leafs are taking garbage salary in return of equal or less term.

Whats the point then?

We're better off letting him play out this year, and throwing him on LTIR whenever need be. Then trading him with an asset next year to a team needing to get to the floor if we really need the space.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
How did you manage to use the symbol for "care of" in the title? And why?

Anyway, I always liked Lupul, and the fact he is still around is a testament to his ability, despite his unfortunate injury history.

I just don't think any team has a use for a guy like him that also doesn't have some younger and cheaper option(s) to fill that role. Lupul is a solid veteran, but his career isn't one that would make him a typical "veteran presence" in the locker room. He doesn't have a ton of playoff experience (though hes played well when hes had the chance), and has never been considered a strong leader AFAIK.

The cap might soon make him a casualty of the numbers game.

Mad Brills*

Whats the point then?

We're better off letting him play out this year, and throwing him on LTIR whenever need be. Then trading him with an asset next year to a team needing to get to the floor if we really need the space.

50% over the next 2 years is 5.25 million.

I'd rather buy him out and have his cap hit for 2 more years after next year rather than waste an asset in dumping him.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Chicago isn't going to pay over 2.5 million for a sometimes bad sometimes good, usually injured forward. It just isn't going to happen.

if they want a huge question mark in their lineup then they'll just trade for some sub million dollar player a team is worried about losing to waivers. Or just wait until teams start putting players on waivers and claiming someone then.

They're not going to pay for someone elses overpaid baggage, even at 50%, and this is coming from a Leafs fan.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Chicago would not take Lupul under any reasonable circumstances.

While his home is closer to Buffalo, Girardi grew up a Leafs fan.
might be willing to waive, esp. if McDonagh + is dealt for Trouba+, adding a RD to NY.

extremely similar #s.
G has an existing NMC
G could have value as a 3rd pair RD 8-12 mins nite, not his typical 20+ and not in an AV system.
It is not clear but it seems that the NMC turns into NTC after this year (but not before exp draft).

Rangers would consider any reasonable cost that allows them to take on similar financial responsibility for Lupul, at full pop, but would have options since he doesn't have NMC and is one less headache to have to deal w/re expansion draft.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
While his home is closer to Buffalo, Girardi grew up a Leafs fan.
might be willing to waive, esp. if McDonagh + is dealt for Trouba+, adding a RD to NY.

extremely similar #s.
G has an existing NMC
G could have value as a 3rd pair RD 8-12 mins nite, not his typical 20+ and not in an AV system.
It is not clear but it seems that the NMC turns into NTC after this year (but not before exp draft).

Rangers would consider any reasonable cost that allows them to take on similar financial responsibility for Lupul, at full pop, but would have options since he doesn't have NMC and is one less headache to have to deal w/re expansion draft.

Feel free to keep Girardi, we're not taking him under any circumstances

His term is worse than Lupul's, and has a NMC so need to be protected, Leafs aren't doing that, thanks.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
So because he hit 60 points once, he still has 60 point potential?

No

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

I'd rather buy him out and have his cap hit for 2 more years after next year rather than waste an asset in dumping him.

Yes, then also including the other contracts you'd have to take back as you said, and finding them roster spots, I don't see the point.

If a team needs a contract to get to the floor, Lupuls would be perfect, 5.25m in cap but only 3.75 in actual money, then we can throw them a late pick or something.

Also we don't need any more dead cap, I really hope they don't buy him out. Just let him injure himself and throw him on LTIR if worst comes to worse.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC

This would be incredibly dumb. If he's going on LTIR, then so be it. Otherwise we keep him and see if he can make any improvement whatsoever. As with others we have had I would much rather wait til the 2018 deadline and see if we can get an asset for him rather than waste assets, future cap or roster spots to move him now.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Even if the Hawks had the cap space for 50% of Lupul's cap hit this season - they don't - they certainly don't want that $2.6M on the cap for 2017/18 when Panarin's (hopefully soon to be completed) extension kicks in.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Nobody is going to trade for him, no matter how much we hold back, or what the cost is, when there is a real uncertainty if he'll ever play a game again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad