Luongo

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Todays game = Luongo is a problem?

He's been our amongst our top 3 players this year.

I'm not sure if you swap Luo with whoever you call the best Goalie in the league, we make the playoffs anyway... Maybe we do. Impossible to know. But I firmly believe our shortcomings as a team are not related to our goalie.

Only in big games. This is the first big game that he has played since he has been back and he **** the bed. He choked a ton in Vancouver, maybe we just have to come to terms with the fact that Luongo doesn't play well in big games.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
The better team won the game last night. Instead of blaming my team I would rather give the Broons credit for playing a hard fought game and beating them.

Agreed 100%. Same thing I told the Bruins fans in their post game thread. They outplayed us and earned a well deserved win.

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Well he did lead Team Canada to gold in a low scoring game against Miller, who some thought was the best in the world.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
That doesn't change the fact that Luongo could have and probably should have saved all 3 goals

First one? Nah. Don't blame him there.

Rask should've saved Boyes' shot easily. Only difference in the game was the skaters on the ice gave Luongo more chances to deal with than they did Rask. They outplayed us. Their Vezina winner didn't really outplay our should have been Vezina winner.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
That doesn't change the fact that Luongo could have and probably should have saved all 3 goals

Rask gave the Cats a gift on Boyes' goal in a huge game. It happens. Lu was great for this team this season. Did you see him after he made that huge save by stacking the pads in the third? He was in obvious pain with his shoulder. I applaud him for digging deep and playing through injury.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

That doesn't change the fact that once again we couldn't score 3 goals, our offense sucks, and we will once again pathetically end with less than 200 goals.

We were nowhere this year without luongo.

The world wouldn't have ended if we scored 3 or 4 goals and allowed Lu for a softie.

Rask gave one up.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
Been following all season on this board, but I have never posted. Do you all think that Gallant should have went with Ellis in net based on his play when he was in for Lou and his wins basically got the Panthers into this position, point wise??? I thought Ellis played better than Lou in the games he was in, the team looked better with Ellis, IMO. I had zero confidence in Lou last night.
And that 3rd goal was one that just can't happen from where Lucic was. Bad goal.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
We were nowhere this year without luongo.

Kind of disagree here, this defense made Ellis look good. I don't think Lou is as big of a factor as people think.

Bottom line for me is he gets paid like a franchise goalie and doesn't play like one because of the soft goals he regularly allows. It's unacceptable that someone like Ellis comes in and outplays him when the season is on the line.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Kind of disagree here, this defense made Ellis look good. I don't think Lou is as big of a factor as people think.

Bottom line for me is he gets paid like a franchise goalie and doesn't play like one because of the soft goals he regularly allows. It's unacceptable that someone like Ellis comes in and outplays him when the season is on the line.

Ellis was horrific last year. and that's being kind. The few games hes recently played have been wondeerful, but way to small a sample size to even use his name in the same sentence as Lu IMHO.

Lu made some great saves and let up a sofite.

The team let us down by sleeping in the lst and 3rd.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
It's just hard to fathom how a guy can go from Luongod to Lolongo in the same period?

That blocker save was an absolute 10-bell ringer. The last 2 goals were just laughable.

More than anyone, I think Luongo himself knows he should have had those two.

Im not going to crucify the guy cause he himself has probably done so already. He spoke out on himself after the Tampa game last week.

We probably won't hear much from himself after last night. He probably hasnt slept yet...

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Ellis was horrific last year. and that's being kind. The few games hes recently played have been wondeerful, but way to small a sample size to even use his name in the same sentence as Lu IMHO.

I know it's a small sample size and I'm not saying Ellis better than Loungo or anything close to that. My point is that an AHL backup shouldn't come in when the season is on the line and outplay the franchise goalie. Never. Even if it's just for a few games.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
The thing I dislike about Luongo's game is his below average puckhandling skills. Teams know they can simply dump the puck in our zone and overwork our d-men (who already suck at clearing it out/passing to each other), because Luongo can't simply clear it out himself. He is still a great puckstopper.

The other thing I dislike, is his reaction to every goal that goes by him. Maybe it's just me and doesn't make a difference to his teammates, but you don't need to make it look so dramatic and deflating. I bet anything it pumps up the opposition every time he does it.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
luongo was playing so well the first half people were thinking he had a legit shot at league mvp.
he's also had to sit out twice recently with injuries which probably didnt help his consistency or confidence...or mobility. also, he made an incredible amount of huge saves last night, we just weren't very good. they played better than us, it was in their building too, you can't win them all, someone has to lose and unfortunately it was us but it was hardly his fault. 3 goals is not that bad, pretty average, not like he gave up 4 or 5. would he like the 2nd and 3rd back? I'm sure he would. if the 2nd one was tipped by pastrnak, then theres not too much he can do about that, inclose like that and right over the shoulder, just worked out perfectly for boston. the 3rd one was stoppable but if we scored on our opportunities, no one would be talking about it. i keep forgetting hayes rang that one off the post at the end.
playoffs were a long shot, not only for this season as a whole but we knew now for a while during our run that it was going to be very tough. we lose 1 game, granted one we couldn't really lose, but 1 game and of course we over react and are irrational, like always. id expect nothing less :laugh:

just be happy we might actually hit 90pt after being the 2nd worst team in the league last year. some people are acting like us not making the playoffs is the biggest choke job and is inexcusable. we weren't even expected to make it this year.

its upsetting because we were close and we all really wanna be back in the playoffs obviously, but it is what it is, they battled really hard. with only 5 remaining, we're still not out of it and can possibly get 90+pt, thats a huge improvement from last year.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
It's just hard to fathom how a guy can go from Luongod to Lolongo in the same period?

That blocker save was an absolute 10-bell ringer. The last 2 goals were just laughable.

Im not going to crucify the guy cause he himself has probably done so already. He spoke out on himself after the Tampa game last week.

We probably won't hear much from himself after last night. He probably hasnt slept yet...

The 2nd goal was a tough one. It was a fluke goal that snuck in despite Luongo covering the post. That's just one of those goals that is what it is. I wouldn't say he choked but rather the GWG came at a really unfortunate and coincidental time.

We weren't good enough as a team to shut the door and that's the problem. The chances of us winning vs. Boston with a one goal lead in the third were probably really low. We needed an insurance goal but we were stuck in our own end the entire time.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The thing I dislike about Luongo's game is his below average puckhandling skills. Teams know they can simply dump the puck in our zone and overwork our d-men (who already suck at clearing it out/passing to each other), because Luongo can't simply clear it out himself. He is still a great puckstopper.

The other thing I dislike, is his reaction to every goal that goes by him. Maybe it's just me and doesn't make a difference to his teammates, but you don't need to make it look so dramatic and deflating. I bet anything it pumps up the opposition every time he does it.

Maybe there is just a mental hurdle in Boston he can't get over? when the 2nd goal went in maybe that just broke him.

Maybe for last night, maybe Ellis should have started, but then think of the effect it would have had on Luongo.

gave him a chance to kill demons and he didnt.

He will have his chance on April 9th! I believe!

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
I know it's a small sample size and I'm not saying Ellis better than Loungo or anything close to that. My point is that an AHL backup shouldn't come in when the season is on the line and outplay the franchise goalie. Never. Even if it's just for a few games.

I don't think Ellis is better than Lou, but in the games he played he was and that was my point, that in the Boston game Ellis should have started. Lou has not looked good and some of the close in goals he has given up lately have been horrible. The 1st goal he was on his stomach after watching Eriksson skate in front of the net.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

He did last night too. Check out GR's article.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
It's a shame some will look back on this season and blame Luongo for last nights loss/elimination from the playoffs.
He has stolen games multiple time throughout the year and has had some stinkers, like every other elite goalie has some nights.

While last night was not up to his usual standards, he is the main reason why we were in the hunt for so long. Of course strong play from Bjugstad and Ekblad early on, followed by the H-B-J line and Pirri helped out too, but he was our goalie most nights.

Last night during the broadcast, they brought up it was last year @ Boston that we acquired Luongo, and almost everyone was happy about the trade. Now we have some calling him a choker.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Did Luongo choke? Sure did.

However, so did the whole rest of the team and that final goal from Lucic was the definition of it. He literally skated through three players to shoot past the other two to get that goal.

Besides that great 2nd Period, we did not at all look like a team that was stoked to win a Game 7-like game. Hopefully this is a lesson for the kids for the future.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
It's a shame some will look back on this season and blame Luongo for last nights loss/elimination from the playoffs.
He has stolen games multiple time throughout the year and has had some stinkers, like every other elite goalie has some nights.

While last night was not up to his usual standards, he is the main reason why we were in the hunt for so long. Of course strong play from Bjugstad and Ekblad early on, followed by the H-B-J line and Pirri helped out too, but he was our goalie most nights.

Last night during the broadcast, they brought up it was last year @ Boston that we acquired Luongo, and almost everyone was happy about the trade. Now we have some calling him a choker.

I am happy that the Panthers got him for a number of reason. But when your "best" player is supposed to be that, he was not in the biggest game of the season. And yes you could say they didn't get it done at any point in the season or the young guys went to sleep at times last night, but Lou needed to play his best game last night and didn't. Do I want him as the starter on day 1 next season, yes sir, but he needs to fix issues with his game and that is folding in big games among other things.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
By the time this team is ready to actually compete in the playoffs I feel Lou's game will be on a downward slide.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
LOL imagine If Gallant started Dan freaking Ellis in our most important game in 3 years. He would effectively be handing in a resignation letter and the only job he would get in the future would be head coach of District 9 Pee Wee.
Luongo's puck handling has been a running joke in my household all season. He can barely even hold on to his stick for an entire game.
I don't blame him entirely for the loss, Boston was the better team for much of the night. But that Lucic goal will stick with me for awhile, imagine how Lu feels about it!

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Agreed.

Fun fact - when Vancouver lost to Boston in the Stanley Cup Finals, Vancouver scored 8 goals in 7 games. That's right, 8 goals in 7 games. Lou did have some bad games, but that series loss was more on the top two lines (Sedins!) than Lou. Lou became the scapegoat of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00