Luongo

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
he's fine. our entire team choked, not just luongo. he made huge saves tonight. rask gave up a similar goal

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
If we are expecting the old Luongo the one where the team never showed up and relied on him to stand on his head every night I couldn't be happier he is choking.

Until this team dominates posession on offense and defense and starts playing the game the right way (which I've seen more this season) then Luongo won't be needed to bail us out.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
There's just too much wrong with the way the question's posed to vote with any confidence. To start, what do you mean by this team? I don't think the best goalie in the league would lead the team that played this season to the cup. Playoffs, probably.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
He played great the last Boston game. Allowed one goal and went 3-3 in the shootout to keep us alive a week ago.

The team couldn't keep the puck in the offensive zone.
That third goal was bad but the second goal was a fluke.

NewEraPanther

#CatsAreComing
Apr 8, 2014
Miami
he's fine. our entire team choked, not just luongo. he made huge saves tonight. rask gave up a similar goal

+1

Everyone loves to point out Luo's goal (the one in the third was no good). Lou did make huge saves not only this game but all year really.

The real question should be where was our team tonight (mainly in the middle/ end of the second period - most of third period). We were ALWAYS in our zone. Never on the attack. We can't win games like that. Not yet.

As disappointing as this game was our future looks bright. We have young players who seem to be putting it together and a goalie to put us into a position to contend/win games moving forward. Our first priority this offseason should be resigning Jagr. I am happy with this season and lol forward to next season as well. Good times ahead of us just look at all of our improvement this year compared to last year.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
There's just too much wrong with the way the question's posed to vote with any confidence. To start, what do you mean by this team? I don't think the best goalie in the league would lead the team that played this season to the cup. Playoffs, probably.

I can't think of a better way to word it, I mean to say that if the Panthers made the playoffs with an average playoff contender, like say Tampa or St Louis, could you trust him to win the big games.

Hell, Dan Ellis has been more clutch this year. Also not sure how we could trust him in the future if he always choked behind much better teams in Vancouver than we will ever have here before he retires

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Luongo will be too old most likely to be "our guy" when we are ready to compete for a Cup anyway. He's probably got 1, maybe 2 top years left. When we are a serious Cup contender, we'll have another goalie as our starter.

He's fine to get us to the playoffs though.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
when you play like they did in the 1st period, how do you expect your goalie to keep you in it? They were just strolling into the offensive zone all night... you can't plan on your goalie standing on his head 24/7, you gotta help him out.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
Luongo is my favorite hockey player of all time but there is no denying he choked. Regardless of how the team played in front of him or what happened in the previous 59 minutes, that last goal can not go in. This is the same goalie that in a split second reached behind his back and deflected a moving puck away from the goal a few days ago. And now he can't close his 5 hole in time to stop a shot from 50 feet away with nobody in front of him? Another mental breakdown in a pressure situation. Pretty much sums up the guy's career.

jagrgodr

Sep 24, 2006
playing goalie is probably the toughest position in all of sports. I guess you could argue quarterback or POSSIBLY pitcher, but goalies are out there the ENTIRE game unlike any other player in a sport. And compared to soccer, hockey is so fast and anything can happen in the blink of an eye. I feel so bad for goalies

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
We slept in the lst period.

We slept in he 3rd

We failed over and over this season to get 3 goals.

We have less than 200 goals this season.

Is any of that luongo's fault.

My goodness..

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN

We slept in he 3rd

My goodness..

Absolutely not, but this was more about big games and his mindset. I have no problem with him for most of the regular season, but when he plays in big games, he chokes. In my opinion, he's not a goalie I would want in net in, say, a game 7 because time and again he hasn't come through when his team needed him most

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013

We slept in he 3rd

My goodness..

Of course that isn't Luongo's fault. Yes we were outplayed tonight. Yes, we often don't give him enough goal support. Lu is our best player and one of the best players in the entire league. Given how skilled and coordinated Luongo is, the Lucic goal can only be explained by a mental lapse. Why was this particular shot not easily sticked into the corner like it usually is? I think the pressure got to him. Wouldn't be the first time. :(

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Also I've heard it said quite a few times from the announcers that if we give Luongo 2 goals of support he'd get us at least a point. I know that that's not realistic, but it would've been nice to see him show up like expected in our biggest game in 3 years

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Knee jerk poll created over a game where goaltending was the least of our problems.

Consider the following:
1) The effort in the 1st, 3rd and parts of 2nd could sedate a fully grown elephant
2) Composure. We were lacking that all night.
3) You can't expect to win scoring two goals per game. ESPECIALLY on a night where you know you can't expect anything less than 2 points in regulation.

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
Knee jerk poll created over a game where goaltending was the least of our problems.

Consider the following:
1) The effort in the 1st, 3rd and parts of 2nd could sedate a fully grown elephant
3) You can't expect to win scoring two goals per game. ESPECIALLY on a night where you know you can't expect anything less than 2 points in regulation.

I agree that it was knee jerk, but I was pissed. I disagree with goaltending being the least of our problems, all three goals are shots that should be saved by anyone who wants to be considered a top goalie in this league, especially the last two.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
I agree that it was knee jerk, but I was pissed. I disagree with goaltending being the least of our problems, all three goals are shots that should be saved by anyone who wants to be considered a top goalie in this league, especially the last two.

Todays game = Luongo is a problem?

He's been our amongst our top 3 players this year.

I'm not sure if you swap Luo with whoever you call the best Goalie in the league, we make the playoffs anyway... Maybe we do. Impossible to know. But I firmly believe our shortcomings as a team are not related to our goalie.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
i thought luo looked decent yestarday but i only saw the highlights but i mean, sometimes you just have to score goals to win games also. + 3 goals a game is rare af from this organization.
luo is a great goalie and he could definitely carry us to the playoffs. question is if our offence can keep producing and if THEY can carry us to the playoffs imo

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

Consider the following:

According to some there is no such thing as effort. Lol.
Composure I thought was OK. A few dumb penalties but they were quick to call ours but let small stuff go from Boston.
Yup. Team looked slow last night. The 1st line was ineffective offensively, cut it deemed like Boston was ready for them every time. We need more speed and offense next year. We have speed in the pipeline. Tbd about the offense.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The better team won the game last night. Instead of blaming my team I would rather give the Broons credit for playing a hard fought game and beating them.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
lou's absolutely been good. that being said his shortcoming has been pressure situations and although he's held up pretty well, there have been times when i thought the pressure got to him. overall he's had a very good season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad