Speculation: Luongo Trade Discussions Thread - All

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerRoeper*

Contracts similar to Luongo's that are long term and were cap circumventing because the last 2 or 3 years were for "minimal" amounts will become kryptonite to the teams holding them very quickly. Luongo's was signed just 2 years ago and it has already gone south for Vancouver. Brad Richards is 32 now and his contract runs until he's 39. Any bets on whether he will still be an elite center at 35? Would you want to be holding his contract a few years from now. Even Suter and Parise at 27 and 28 years of age now with hopefully many good playing years to go will become some team's headaches during the last 3 or 4 years of their contracts....if not much sooner.

I agree. We are still in the early years of these terrible retirement contracts. They are going to look so bad very soon and screw their teams over.

It's funny, because I hear how Phaneuf's contract is so terrible. It ends before his 30th birthday. Looks pretty good to me.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
I agree. We are still in the early years of these terrible retirement contracts. They are going to look so bad very soon and screw their teams over.

It's funny, because I hear how Phaneuf's contract is so terrible. It ends before his 30th birthday. Looks pretty good to me.

Capwise, Burke has left Nonis with good contracts to work with going forward. Hopefully he will not screw it up by trading for Luongo!!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver didn't really have the option of keeping Schneider as a backup for any longer. He wanted to become a #1 and his play showed he deserved this. His contract was up for renewal, and the fact the Canucks signed him to 4 million deal shows that he was signed to become the #1 goalie.

I actually think (as much as I think the guy is a wicked goalie) that trading Schneider might have been a viable option at one time. But now, you don't just sign a guy to three years and then trade him. As a result, the only options left are to play Luongo as a backup (which is both a waste of cap space as well as talent, besides being controversial), or trade him.

Many people seem to think the contract is a big issue, but I really don't think it is. The cap hit is reasonable and I actually think the long contract is a GOOD thing for a team, as long as Luongo continues to play at a high level.

However, those who say that Gillis is the one who will have to make concessions in a trade are entirely correct... but not because of the contract. It is because the only realistic option for Vancouver right now is to trade Luongo, and other GMs know it. Add to that the fact there are only a couple of teams that really need a goalie, and that drives down the return that much more. Under different circumstances, a star goalie would garner a star player in return. But unfortunately for Gillis, it isn't going to happen in this case... yet, he's holding out for the best return he can get.

Add to all this the fact that Vancouver really needs a 2nd line centre right now with Kesler out, and the pressure is even higher for Gillis.

I still say though, without giving up any young talent like Gardiner (which isn't going to happen), that Luongo would be an excellent aquisition for the Leafs. Assuming, of course, they expect to be competetive right now. If they plan to rebuild, then they are better off with the two questionable goalies they have right now.

If you don't think the cap hit is an issue you guys should probably just keep him. He can be your unhappy backup because in all honesty, who wants to pay for him to the tune of what your GM wants? I mean, really who wants a contract like that which risks a teams future. It's just not logical to take on a dinosaur at the expensive of first round picks and prospects +++

No thanks, you could maybe argue for Bozak or/and Connolly and a spare part or two. Outside of that good luck to you guys.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...+agree+deal+Roberto+Luongo/7836046/story.html

No is not the only thing that means no. Waiving Tim Connolly means no. Trading Matthew Lombardi means no. Toronto Maple Leaf general manager Dave Nonis could scarcely be any clearer.

When he took over for Brian Burke last week, Nonis found sitting on the corner of the general manager’s desk, gathering dust, a standing trade proposal from the Vancouver Canucks: Roberto Luongo to the Maple Leafs for Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri and a second-round draft pick.

It appears Nonis promptly swept it into the garbage bin.

It’s difficult to say whether it was unacceptable that he part with Bozak or Kadri, but it’s possible it was both.

Kadri was having a point-a-game season in the American Hockey League before – for what’s worth – lighting it up in training camp this week. The 22-year-old centre was the seventh player drafted in 2009 and Nonis made it clear in an interview Thursday he won’t trade his best young players.

“I’m not going to give up youth for older players,” Nonis told ESPN. “We would trade a young player for a young player. But we’re not going to trade a bunch of young players or first-round picks for short-term gain. You can’t build a club that way.”

Bozak is 26 and after 2½ years in the National Hockey League is still trending upwards. He had 47 points last season and led Toronto centres with an average ice time of 18:50. Bozak’s value to Nonis can be measured on the transaction wire this week: the GM traded Maple Leaf centre Lombardi and waived the overpaid, overrated Connolly.

Between them, Connolly and Lombardi combined for more than 30 minutes of average ice time last season. So if Nonis is packaging Bozak for the Canucks, he’d better get Vancouver centre Henrik Sedin as well as Luongo.

The possible move of the goalie to Toronto appears to be dead – at least in the framework of the Bozak-Kadri trade that was reported last fall as a “done deal.”

And since the 48-game regular season starts Saturday, and teams have been filling their rosters and salary-cap space this week, it is likely that Luongo will start the season as the most expensive backup goalie in Canuck history.

A prominent player agent said before training camps began that this week represented a major pressure point that helped the Canucks. But if no deal was cut before the season, the pressure would dissipate and it could be a while before the trade market was as favorable again.

Keeping it Blue

Dec 13, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The contract’s not an issue. There’s been a lot of interest. We’re at a point with this team where we want specific types of players coming back to us who can help us today and down the road. I think that’s a reasonable request and we’re going to stick to it.â€

I don't think there being interest and 'the contract is not a problem' are two linked things. The interest is there because the value in other GMs eyes is low due to the contract. Otherwise you'd have to expect a trade would have happened.

Also, who confirmed the Bozak, Kadri and 2nd trade?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I don't think there being interest and 'the contract is not a problem' are two linked things. The interest is there because the value in other GMs eyes is low due to the contract. Otherwise you'd have to expect a trade would have happened.

Also, who confirmed the Bozak, Kadri and 2nd trade?

John Shannon back in the fall, McKenzie and Dreger confirmed tonight that is the price.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I think the time to trade for Luongo has passed. I've said it from the get-go, there's too much bad blood between these two teams for Gillis to let Luongo go for anything but a king's ransom.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Edler is a good pick up IMO.

He's like Phaneuf. It would make a ton of sense to try and get him next year if he gets to UFA.

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Edler-Rielly
Gunnar-_____

Buy out Liles too if he isn't good this year.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I cant believe people are so naive to believe Gillis when he sys Lu's contract isnt an issue.

Its the ONLY issue. If he was signed to a reasonable contract he'd of been traded already.

stamkos

Jun 30, 2011
ontario gta
I'd rather him stay in van & screw their cap lol. Contract is too long not many teams can afford it but us, so they are screwed :handclap:

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/18/gi...cks-have-asked-for-too-much-in-a-luongo-trade

Gillis is a clown. Have fun losing edler because nobody wants to give you anything for an overpaid player. It shows this guy is completely out of touch if he thinks the leafs have puppets in the media.

Also funny, because if anything the Toronto media has been pushing the Leafs to make a Luongo trade. Its only a few like Nattress and Cox that have suggested the Leafs should not. And also the straight thinkers on HF;)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

He's like Phaneuf. It would make a ton of sense to try and get him next year if he gets to UFA.

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Edler-Rielly
Gunnar-_____

I would be shocked if vancouver does not resign edler

Maddog63

Jul 11, 2011
Can Connolly be traded? What about

To TOR: Luongo
To VAN: Connolly + Colborne + Frattin + 2nd rounder?

Frattin I like a lot but to me he needs to be in the deal for Vancover to consider it.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Kulimen - Grabs - Mac
JVR - Kadri - Komarov
Orr - McClement - Brown/Steckel

That's pretty solid.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I would be shocked if vancouver does not resign edler

I know but if he hit UFA. Edler makes a lot of sense for the Leafs.

We can buy out Komisarek, Liles. Get two great reliable pairings.

Edler is a really fun player to watch.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's probably for the best. The leafs aren't a luongo away from being a good team. They still need more building blocks.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Edler-Rielly
Gunnar-_____

That would be a nice D corps.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

It's amazing how many of them have already been traded or teams are looking to unload.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Can Connolly be traded? What about

To TOR: Luongo
To VAN: Connolly + Colborne + Frattin + 2nd rounder?

Frattin I like a lot but to me he needs to be in the deal for Vancover to consider it.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Kulimen - Grabs - Mac
JVR - Kadri - Komarov
Orr - McClement - Brown/Steckel

That's pretty solid.

Why would you want to trade that much for Luongo?

There is no reason whatsoever to offer prospects like that.

Nonis would be out to lunch if he turned that down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad