Speculation: Luongo Trade Discussions Thread - All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Love that last sentence. Just make a solid couple of picks this year in a deep draft and get this franchise back on track. Big C and a couple other pieces.

The Leafs should be sellers at whatever the deadline is. Teams with lots of vets missing a few pieces will think this year is their chance, because their guys will be rested.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Luongo would absolutely help this franchise, but of course if the retail mark up is too high you'll create too many holes elsewhere to justify it. The Canucks are in a real bind, they have a window to win getting smaller every day, Kesler is out long term and Luongo is dead cap space sitting on a bench while the salary cap inches lower and lower. There is no reason why we have to be the ones to act foolish. There are a lot of goalie options out there that aren't in the media that could help us out. It's up to management to find solutions if our goalies don't hold up. There's not a huge market for Luongo and the Canucks need to start putting him on sale.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
For all of Burke's shortcomings he managed to avoid the really burdensome contracts that were handed out the last CBA. I would rather not trade for one in Luongo and add a potential deadly contract 5 years from now.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
1. Tank.
2. Trade Joffrey Lupul, Cody Franson and Clarke MacArthur.
3. Draft Nathan MacKinnon, Elias Lindholm or Alexander Barkov.
4. Trade for Roberto Luongo at the draft (Kadri, Bozak)
5. Sign Corey Perry, Paul Ranger and David Clarkson.

Going into 2013/14...

Perry - MacKinnon - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin
Komarov - Colborne - Clarkson
Brown - McClement - Ashton

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Holzer
Kostka

Luongo
Reimer

Instead of Luongo, we could sign Backstrom (doesn't have that contract) if Minny doesn't re-sign him.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
these reports are so stupid, what do you think he is going to say?

'ya the owners really want me to acquire a top goalie, its something i have to do before game 1?

use your heads

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
1. Tank.
2. Trade Joffrey Lupul, Tyler Bozak, Cody Franson and Clarke MacArthur.
4. Sign Corey Perry, Niklas Backstrom, Paul Ranger and David Clarkson.

Going into 2013/14...

Komarov - Kadri - Clarkson

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Holzer
Kostka

Backstrom
Reimer

Leafs For Life*

Don't know to believe or not.. :( Hope so though, get rid of Steckel, Connolly, Lombardi, Komi, (Lesser extent Liles and Mac A) and the only one Idk if I'd be alright with is Grabo

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
these reports are so stupid, what do you think he is going to say?

'ya the owners really want me to acquire a top goalie, its something i have to do before game 1?

use your heads

just like all these high asking prices for Luongo are ridiculous. People like Maclean and McClown stating that it has to be Kadri and Gardiner when Vancouver could very well be handcuffed and screwed if they have to eat Luongos contract.

Everytime these guys mentioned Gardiner yesterday I was cringing and running to the balcony to smoke. How do you trade a potential all-star dman for a terrible contract that is due to ride the bench?

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
1. Tank.
2. Trade Joffrey Lupul, Tyler Bozak, Cody Franson and Clarke MacArthur.
4. Sign Corey Perry, Niklas Backstrom, Paul Ranger and David Clarkson.

Going into 2013/14...

Komarov - Kadri - Clarkson

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Holzer
Kostka

Backstrom
Reimer

Switch Liles with Rielly, deal him for a pick in 2013.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Exactly as i thought. Burkes the one that wanted to pull the trigger for luongo not ownership or nonis. Everyone seems to think burke didnt want to.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Switch Liles with Rielly, deal him for a pick in 2013.

I'm not sure if Rielly will be ready in 2013/14. That's why I left him off.

If he is, I'd do what you said. Deal Liles for a pick and insert Rielly.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Exactly as i thought. Burkes the one that wanted to pull the trigger for luongo not ownership or nonis. Everyone seems to think burke didnt want to.

It sure fits his pattern to date. Funny thing is people said because of the Kessel deal he would not do it, I would argue that he is more likely to do it because of it.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I would advise people not to get to attached to the idea we're going to tank and get a high pick.

I still think Roberto Luongo is a Leaf is very near future. I think even if he prefers Florida, And that's completely understandable, I think he knows the likely scenario is Toronto, And is slowly embracing it.

If you look at his past tweets under the strombone1 handle.

You got back to Luongo jersey tweet, Or to the "can I get some tickets" and there's a few other involving Toronto.

It's just a theory.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's great. Hopefully Luongo is moved soon (elsewhere) and this nonsense can be over.

An owner has the say on employees.

If they don't like an employee they have the right to move him along, especially if he's a contract employee.

It isn't like everything was going along smoothly with Burke, even if he didn't make a bad impression on the owners.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I would advise people not to get to attached to the idea we're going to tank and get a high pick.

I still think Roberto Luongo is a Leaf is very near future. I think even if he prefers Florida, And that's completely understandable, I think he knows the likely scenario is Toronto, And is slowly embracing it.

If you look at his past tweets under the strombone1 handle.

You got back to Luongo jersey tweet, Or to the "can I get some tickets" and there's a few other involving Toronto.

It's just a theory.

I think Ryan Kesler runs that Twitter account.

It's not actually Roberto.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
That's great. Hopefully Luongo is moved soon (elsewhere) and this nonsense can be over.

Can only pray.

As far as the ownership's interest in the high caliber of draftees this year, I'm pretty sure I remember Anselmi say that the team's direction was pretty much staying "status quo", which does not seem to imply that we'll start tanking all of a sudden.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
At a reasonable price, would love to have Luongo here. If Gillis keeps up his ridiculous demand, I hope they run with what they have and let the young guys develop (with a good 2013 pick).

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Can only pray.

As far as the ownership's interest in the high caliber of draftees this year, I'm pretty sure I remember Anselmi say that the team's direction was pretty much staying "status quo", which does not seem to imply that we'll start tanking all of a sudden.

We've done nothing but tank so i have no clue what you're talking about .

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Dave Nonis was interviewed this afternoon on Sportsnet (Fan 590) by Kypreos, Mallard and MacLean.

After the interview, the panel stated they did not get the impression that ownership was pushing Dave Nonis to make a push for Luongo and the playoffs. Kypreos stated that it seems like ownership is pushing Nonis to "do it right". They mentioned that it seems like the quality of talent in the 2013 NHL Draft is a big thing for ownership.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/podcasts/

"Hockey Centrel @ Noon - Thursday"

This would instill a lot of faith for me in the new ownership and management.

I really hope this is the case.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We've done nothing but tank so i have no clue what you're talking about .

Can only pray.

2nd. last
9th. last
5th. last

It might just be me, but that really looks like tanking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad