Luongo Talk: The Final Countdown...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigcaulks*

The year was 1987, my grad class was deciding on a song for our theme. I was by no means cutting edge, but a small group of us fought for the Beastie Boys, Fight for Your Right. The cool kids won and Europe it was. Their coolness ended that day.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The year was 1987, my grad class was deciding on a song for our theme. I was by no means cutting edge, but a small group of us fought for the Beastie Boys, Fight for Your Right. The cool kids won and Europe it was. Their coolness ended that day.

It will be their epitath. You can't front on the Beasties.

KidCanuck*

Really want him to go to Florida, I have really enjoyed watching Burke failing in Toronto and want it to continue......

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Hopefully he goes to Florida as we usually if not always come out on top in trades with them. They're just so generous.

Pseudonymous*

Hopefully he goes to Florida as we usually if not always come out on top in trades with them. They're just so generous.

I'd give an edge to Florida on the Samuelsson trade

Sure Booth has upside but we're not sure if he'll reach that. And even if he does, Samuelsson still might bring more to a team competing for the cup. Samuelsson is a fantastic player. Underrated because hes not as entertaining as Booth , nor as young or good looking ;)

Samuelsson is the type of guy you win in the playoffs with. Something we lack.

MORE SAMULESSONS AND HARTNELLS PLZ

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yeah, nobody is going to make a convincing case for David Booth being a better howckey player than Mikael Samuelsson. Stats based or otherwise.

David Booth is essentially a poor man's Samuelsson...

arsmaster*

We got killed in the Ballard deal?

We have Ballard they have Howden. Forgive me for preferring Ballard to Howden.

Booth a poor mans Samuelsson? I like Samuelsson as much as the next guy, but I can't recall Samuelsson driving to the net.

For the flack Booth gets on here, he's one of maybe two players on our roster than have size and consistently take the puck to the crease.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
So, will Luongo's salary count against the cap after he retires?

No. Under the old CBA, for players under 35 years old (or more correctly under 35 when the contract comes into effect) , if the player retires, the player's salary does not count against the salary cap.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm willing to give Booth a little longer before saying who won and who lost.

Pseudonymous*

Flack? Not from me. I love booth. And his driving to the net is something we need. But not as much as what we get from samuelsson. Hes just a VERY smart player who plays with an edge and can put up points regardless if its a tight game or open game. And always heightened his game in the playoffs.

I expect booth to always be a player that just chips in in the playoffs and hardly any type of force. Sure he'll get his 25-30 goals in the season. and thats great

And you dont compare the ballard trade without grabner, who cares what they did with him, they got a good player. Them giving him away doesn't change our trade with them. They got howden and the rookie of the year in grabner.

our team believes in players with defensive ability too, not all teams believe every scorer needs to be real good defensively too. lots of scorers have been ****** defensively and still helped their teams a great deal

just because he didn't fit our teams expectations and he isnt' a well rounded player doesn't make him not a good piece

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Booth a poor mans Samuelsson? I like Samuelsson as much as the next guy, but I can't recall Samuelsson driving to the net.

For the flack Booth gets on here, he's one of maybe two players on our roster than have size and consistently take the puck to the crease.

This is what drives me crazy. Before we got Booth every single one of us would say "We need a top 6 PF winger who drives the net hard!!" Gillis goes out and grabs Booth and now all of the sudden we don't that top 6 PF who drives the net.

Canucks fans will never be satisfied.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Gonna have to agree with you there...Booth's play was pretty lackluster, but he was also saddled with a lackluster/injured Kesler. Samuelsson was either very good or very bad with us...he was much more responsible defensively than Booth though. I'm willing to give Booth this season to prove himself before deciding whether or not to cut him loose...I think he's a better bet to rebound than an aging Samuelsson.

Pseudonymous*

This is what drives me crazy. Before we got Booth every single one of us would say "We need a top 6 PF winger who drives the net hard!!" Gillis goes out and grabs Booth and now all of the sudden we don't that top 6 PF who drives the net.

Canucks fans will never be satisfied.

Saying Samuelsson is a better player than somebody doesn't devalue them. Samuelsson is a great player. The reason detroit and vancouver wanted him back.

Wow i do not agree with the other people saying hes worse, seems like they really think hes much worse or something, talking about cutting him loose, i think samuelsson is the better player but booth is still real good. cutting him loose? no thanks

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
How long did the Sedins take before becoming decent NHL players? I'm pretty sure it took them more than 56 regular season & 5 playoff games in a Canuck uniform...

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
How soon we forget how bad Samuellson often was, he would loft so many soft shots at goalies logos when there were much much better plays to be made

There was a time when he was like 3rd or 4th in the league in shots on next, right after Crosby and Ovechkin

I always scape-goated Samuellson, he did play well at times and yes he stepped it up in the playoffs which is right now in hindsight his only redeeming quality I truely miss.

Booth isnt a comparable player to Sammy at all, lets give him another season shall we

Howden is coming back out way anyways, as long as we throw in Kesler, Burrows and Edler :laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Apparently we got killed in the Booth trade giving up Marco Sturm and Mikael Samuelsson...neither of whom had much of an impact last season and neither of whom are still with the Panthers. :help:

Pseudonymous*

How long did the Sedins take before becoming decent NHL players? I'm pretty sure it took them more than 56 regular season & 5 playoff games in a Canuck uniform...

:laugh: what

i believe booth has played in the nhl prior ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad