Value of: lundqvist to carolina

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
carolina needs goaltending. rags appear (could be wrong) for a rebuild/ retool. lundqvist is 36, had a down year, 3 more years for 19 million.

what would the rags want to to send king henrik to cackalacky? canes would need some retention on salary, and would like, if possible, to send darling back (if you're out and out tanking he will help you lose games).

i want to get a sense if a deal is possible, so ignore the nmc, what do rags fans want or think is a fair deal?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
At this point, the Canes with Lundqvist would at best be Columbus: a team that provides a 4-6 game warm-up for Pittsburgh or Washington before the 2nd round. Carolina seems like an odd place to spend his twilight years, if he's leaving for a chance to win.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Is Carolina dumping Darling on us in this trade too? I obviously wouldn't ask for their first round pick, but I'm not sure I would only take a 2nd round pick back in this deal either

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
(Just a note that calling the team "The Rags" is not the best way to ingratiate yourself with a fanbase.)

As for Lundqvist, he has made it very clear that he would like to remain in New York, but you've asked that we ignore the NMC.

If we're retaining and taking back Darling, we would be looking for a good return. Lundqvist is still effective, and, after a long summer of rest and training (especially recuperating some lingering injuries), I think there's a good chance he will be far more effective than last year. The defense in front of him was also incredibly lackluster.

The Rangers have some pieces at forward and defense, but we could always shore up and are lacking that higher-end talent.

There's not a lot of guys in the Canes system that I think would be available in this sort of trade that would be representative of that upper tier of players. Pieces of interest, in my opinion:

F: Lindholm, Zykov, Gauthier, Kuokkanen. I'm assuming Necas is unavailable.

D: Bean, Pesce, Hanifin

G: Helvig, maybe.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Lundqvist cares more about living in Manhattan than winning. He's not going anywhere.

Never seen him play, huh?

Lundqvist wants to win and he wants to win here. The Rangers are rebuilding, but they aren't going to bottom out ala Edmonton, Pittsburgh, etc. They still have Kreider, Zib, Buch, Hayes, Zucc, Skjei, Shattenkirk, etc. They also have several players who got a cup of coffee after the TDL like Chytil, Andersson, Pionk, and co, and recent acquisitions who might make the jump (Hajek, Howden, Lindgren, etc). All that, PLUS I think you see an improvement in team defense now that AV and his idiotic system are gone.

The Rangers aren't going to be as good as they were in their SCF/ECF years, but if healthy, I think they can at least replicate the play of the 2006-2008 teams. If all goes well, they could be back to contending by the last year of Lundqvist's contract.

Reactions: slg1963

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
At this point, the Canes with Lundqvist would at best be Columbus: a team that provides a 4-6 game warm-up for Pittsburgh or Washington before the 2nd round. Carolina seems like an odd place to spend his twilight years, if he's leaving for a chance to win.

given Carolina's goalie prospect situation, the current goalie market, lundqvists' age and contract and the age of the core pieces in carolina -but above all else, the 10th aniversery of the last postseason hockey in raleigh- why is it a bad thing to be a one and done team?

get the fanbase pumped, let the players get accustomed to playing with some expectations, then in 2 years you revisit the goalie problem if none of the lotto tickets jackpotted.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Not available. No team will pay fair value for him (due to contract+age) and Rangers actually asked him if he wanted to be traded and he said no. He will retire a Ranger

Reactions: DaveG

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
given Carolina's goalie prospect situation, the current goalie market, lundqvists' age and contract and the age of the core pieces in carolina -but above all else, the 10th aniversery of the last postseason hockey in raleigh- why is it a bad thing to be a one and done team?

get the fanbase pumped, let the players get accustomed to playing with some expectations, then in 2 years you revisit the goalie problem if none of the lotto tickets jackpotted.

From Carolina’s POV, Lundqvist makes a lot of sense, if Dundon is committed enough financially to pursue him.

From Lundqvist’s POV, Carolina doesn’t make a lot of sense. I know you said ignore his NMC, but any trade is inextricably linked to it. The counterargument will be contracts, but I am of the opinion that his value wouldn’t vary too much from that of Luongo when he was traded back to Florida. The Rangers aren't going to enjoy the fruits of a bidding war. Whether Carolina could get him at a comparable price is up to Lundqvist.

Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. It's not just that he loves Rangers but he also loves Manhattan so the only team that makes sense from the 2nd standpoint is the Islanders. Yikes! But If he were to go and return 11 + 12OA as a 1 yr rental and they could reacquire him for the following season, that might not be too bad strategically. But he is in the driver's seat at least until Shesty gets here.

2. You asked to go THERE reardless, so polite answer you sought: I'd demand Lundqvist + Smith + 9OA for Darling + _____ + 2OA. Something like that.

3. Rangers have best goalie guru/coach. He could straighten out Darling [I mean, if he straighten out Pavelec, he can resurrect Darling.] But you have to make it worth our while. Smith + Georgiev for Darling + McKeown. Small size sample but Geo is part of the solution and at worst is an elc stopgap while cap dump Darling is removed.
That's the ticket!

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Lundqvist cares more about living in Manhattan than winning. He's not going anywhere.
If you think Hank cares more about anything other than winning (aside from his daughter / family) you've never bothered to watch him or learn anything about him.

That being said he isn't going anywhere.

To the OP: NYR is much easier to type than the derogatory "rags"

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Never seen him play, huh?

Lundqvist wants to win and he wants to win here. The Rangers are rebuilding, but they aren't going to bottom out ala Edmonton, Pittsburgh, etc. They still have Kreider, Zib, Buch, Hayes, Zucc, Skjei, Shattenkirk, etc. They also have several players who got a cup of coffee after the TDL like Chytil, Andersson, Pionk, and co, and recent acquisitions who might make the jump (Hajek, Howden, Lindgren, etc). All that, PLUS I think you see an improvement in team defense now that AV and his idiotic system are gone.

The Rangers aren't going to be as good as they were in their SCF/ECF years, but if healthy, I think they can at least replicate the play of the 2006-2008 teams. If all goes well, they could be back to contending by the last year of Lundqvist's contract.

I thought there was a rumor about an opportunity to trade him this past TDL and he said no. Yes he's as competitive as hell, wants to win, and the NYRs may be good in a few, but if he can add value to the team he loves, shouldn't he? And if not, inst that a bit selfish? Probably why the "wants to stay in Manhattan" comment.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Can't see the Rangers retaining on Lundqvist and taking Darling back. Doesn't make sense. The return isn't going to be worth it.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Can't see the Rangers retaining on Lundqvist and taking Darling back. Doesn't make sense. The return isn't going to be worth it.

111% a retain is impossible.
Lundqvist controls and he has to want to play where he is/goes

He MIGHT be willing to go somewhere for a 1 yr rental, not rest of his career.
If that is the case retaining is impossible cause sending him back to NYR with retained salary is too crazy to pull off.

He can go anywhere at full salary pop for 1 yr, then be reacquired at what is balance of salary no go thru all machinations.

Just sayin, it's moot anyway 'cause he won't approve to go.

ONLY place that is a fit for him to stay in NY for 1 yr is Brooklyn, he won't go there, literally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad