Lundqvist or Luongo?

Who was better?

• Total voters

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I voted Lundqvist who I view was a more consistent goalie.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Luongo deserves his share of criticism for meltdown games, but people who bring up the final goal in ‘07 as if he wasn’t already dragging that team all year kicking and screaming into the second round is some of the stupidest bullshit ever

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
nice cherry picking of these specific instances..... we can do that for any goalie/player of any sport.

STATS DONT LIE. I know its hard for some people to understand math, but come back when you do, please..... not that I expect someone from Long Beach to know their hockey.

And the fact that you think hes the reason they lost the 2011 final and not their offense is proof that you dont know shit. Its crazy how people can just choose to love/hate certain athletes like that. Says a lot about one's personality. You probably do this in everyday life as well.

You seem to be taking this personally and keep going back to the schoolyard insults like me not knowing anything because of where I’m from. Grow up. Stats for goalies are up for interpretation. If the guy makes a bunch of saves but then chokes in the biggest moment, I don’t care what his save percentage is. Hockey isn’t played on paper. Maybe someone who’s so knowledgeable of the game should know that. As for 2011, I didn’t say he was the reason but he certainly was one reason. And I listed a bunch of other moments. Those weren’t cherry picked. Those are THE moments of his career. He chocked when it mattered most. You have nothing to say except throw out out-of-context stats and insults. Sorry I didn’t pump his tires enough for your liking.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
You seem to be taking this personally and keep going back to the schoolyard insults like me not knowing anything because of where I’m from. Grow up. Stats for goalies are up for interpretation. If the guy makes a bunch of saves but then chokes in the biggest moment, I don’t care what his save percentage is. Hockey isn’t played on paper. Maybe someone who’s so knowledgeable of the game should know that. As for 2011, I didn’t say he was the reason but he certainly was one reason. And I listed a bunch of other moments. Those weren’t cherry picked. Those are THE moments of his career. He chocked when it mattered most. You have nothing to say except throw out out-of-context stats and insults. Sorry I didn’t pump his tires enough for your liking.
not taking it personally, its just pathetic to see a so called hockey fan call one of the greatest goalies of our generation a playoff choker and cant even acknowledge that he had a great career. Instead you focus on a FEW gaffs that you think define his career over the 1044 + 70 career games he did play putting up top consistent numbers year after year.

Its just SO easy to point the finger at the goalie. Forget about the defensemen who missed their guy and allowed countless scoring chances that Lu stopped, forget about the offense who couldnt score in those game 7s that wouldve given their team the win.... I mean, who do you think got the Canucks to those game 7s? especially the SCF in 2011. They wouldve lost in 4 if it wasnt for him. Can you at least admit that? Im guessing you cant because of this anti-Lu agenda you have.

You say numbers dont matter... Those numbers are information you choose to ignore over 99.99% of his career because you focus on a few questionable goals he let in. Last I checked hockey was a TEAM sport, and losses are combination of several mistakes made by several players over 60+ mins in a game. This isnt tennis.

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
not taking it personally, its just pathetic to see a so called hockey fan call one of the greatest goalies of our generation a playoff choker and cant even acknowledge that he had a great career. Instead you focus on a FEW gaffs that you think define his career over the 1044 + 70 career games he did play putting up top consistent numbers year after year.

Its just SO easy to point the finger at the goalie. Forget about the defensemen who missed their guy and allowed countless scoring chances that Lu stopped, forget about the offense who couldnt score in those game 7s that wouldve given their team the win.... I mean, who do you think got the Canucks to those game 7s? especially the SCF in 2011. They wouldve lost in 4 if it wasnt for him. Can you at least admit that? Im guessing you cant because of this anti-Lu agenda you have.

You say numbers dont matter... Those numbers are information you choose to ignore over 99.99% of his career because you focus on a few questionable goals he let in. Last I checked hockey was a TEAM sport, and a goal against isnt always the goalie's fault. This isnt tennis.

You’ve repeatedly put words in my mouth and it’s getting exhausting. I never put the blame solely on him. But guess what. This poll is about Luongo vs Lundqvist, so yes, I will be focusing my attention on those two guys and what they were and weren’t able to do. Like I said, Luongo is an overrated goalie who couldn’t get it done when it mattered most on multiple occasions. Yes, you can blame other players too. They’re not mutually exclusive. He did his team no favors in elimination games or the Stanley Cup final. Context matters. And he’s absolutely not one of the best goalies of his generation. He only gets the attention because he played for a Canadian team. If you’re all about stats, here’s three for you. 0 Vezinas, 0 Conn Smythes, 0 Stanley Cups. You are definitely taking this personally. I’m done with you.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
You’ve repeatedly put words in my mouth and it’s getting exhausting. I never put the blame solely on him. But guess what. This poll is about Luongo vs Lundqvist, so yes, I will be focusing my attention on those two guys and what they were and weren’t able to do. Like I said, Luongo is an overrated goalie who couldn’t get it done when it mattered most on multiple occasions. Yes, you can blame other players too. They’re not mutually exclusive. He did his team no favors in elimination games or the Stanley Cup final. Context matters. And he’s absolutely not one of the best goalies of his generation. He only gets the attention because he played for a Canadian team. If you’re all about stats, here’s three for you. 0 Vezinas, 0 Conn Smythes, 0 Stanley Cups. You are definitely taking this personally. I’m done with you.
the fact that you dont acutally KNOW that Lu is one of the best goalies of the past 20 years really shows that you have an agenda or lack of hockey knowledge.

Vezina finishes: 2,3,3,4,4,7,7 a 2nd place in Hart voting in 07 on top of 489 career wins.

Other than Lundqvist.... find me all the goalies with those numbers. Im waiting. And Ill be waiting long since you wont find any.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
the fact that you dont acutally KNOW that Lu is one of the best goalies of the past 20 years really shows that you have an agenda or lack of hockey knowledge.

Vezina finishes: 2,3,3,4,4,7,7 a 2nd place in Hart voting in 07 on top of 489 career wins.

Other than Lundqvist.... find me all the goalies with those numbers. Im waiting. And Ill be waiting long since you wont find any.

I know I said I was done with you but LOL at celebrating 7th place Vezina finishes.

And no matter how many times I say numbers by themselves don’t tell the whole story with goalies, you keep coming back to me with numbers. You’re not getting it.

Off the top of my head, I’d pick all these guys ahead of Luongo heading into a playoff series.

Lundqvist
Quick
Price
Brodeur
Thomas
Crawford
Vasilevsky

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think you could get lost in the minutia of arguing this, that, or the other thing between the two statistically. Lundqvist probably takes the day on greater consistency in that arena overall. But i feel like Luongo having the far more "interesting" and "storyworthy" career has to be worth something. Doesn't it? Combined with his peaks, and a dash of homerism with a pinch of never really enjoying Lundqvists game from an elegant aesthetics perspective where it was always lacking...i give Luongo my vote. But i get why the poll is going to tilt heavily in the other direction.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I know I said I was done with you but LOL at celebrating 7th place Vezina finishes.

And no matter how many times I say numbers by themselves don’t tell the whole story with goalies, you keep coming back to me with numbers. You’re not getting it.

Off the top of my head, I’d pick all these guys ahead of Luongo heading into a playoff series.

Lundqvist
Quick
Price
Brodeur
Thomas
Crawford
Vasilevsky
There you go, so you cant find any other goalie with those amount of wins and Vezina finishes other than Lundqvist and I had forgot Brodeur. Hence Lu is one of the better goalies of the past 20 years.

And its funny how youre choosing the goalies who were all on great TEAMS except for maybe Lundqvist and Price. You think Quick, Crawford or Thomas win their Cups if they were a Canuck?? Please.... Lu would surely have those Cups if he were a Hawk or King.

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
There you go, so you cant find any other goalie with those amount of wins and Vezina finishes other than Lundqvist and I had forgot Brodeur. Hence Lu is one of the better goalies of the past 20 years.

And its funny how youre choosing the goalies who were all on great TEAMS except for maybe Lundqvist and Price. You think Quick, Crawford or Thomas win their Cups if they were a Canuck?? Please.... Lu would surely have those Cups if he were a Hawk or King.

Right, it’s not like Luongo ever played on multiple Presidents Trophy and division title winning teams. So unfortunate he never played on a contender.

There you go again with the meaningless stat of “Vezina finishes”. Remind me. How many did he actually win?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Right, it’s not like Luongo ever played on multiple Presidents Trophy and division title winning teams. So unfortunate he never played on a contender.

There you go again with the meaningless stat of “Vezina finishes”. Remind me. How many did he actually win?
Youre comparing the 08-2011 Canucks to the Hawks, Kings, and Bruins? Good lord. Lu had ONE bad post season with Vancouver in 2010. It happens.

.941 SV% over 12 GP in 07
.914 SV% in 10GP in 09
.914 SV% in 25GP in 2011 (two 1-0 SO in the SCF)

What a bad playoff goalie. Oh but he let a bad goal in in game 7 OT so hes a choker. Lets not blame anyone else.

"meaningless Vezina finishes".... thats as dumb a statement as saying the 2nd greatest player in the 80s wasnt good because Gretzky won all the Harts.

I guess Bobrovsky was a greater goalie than Lundqvist according to you.... Hey, Jim Carey was a greater goalie than Luongo too since he won the Vezina.

What a garbage take.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Youre comparing the 08-2011 Canucks to the Hawks, Kings, and Bruins? Good lord. Lu had ONE bad post season with Vancouver in 2010. It happens.

.941 SV% over 12 GP in 07
.914 SV% in 10GP in 09
.914 SV% in 25GP in 2011 (two 1-0 SO in the SCF)

What a bad playoff goalie. Oh but he let a bad goal in in game 7 OT so hes a choker. Lets not blame anyone else.

"meaningless Vezina finishes".... thats as dumb a statement as saying the 2nd greatest player in the 80s wasnt good because Gretzky won all the Harts.

I guess Bobrovsky was a greater goalie than Lundqvist according to you.... Hey, Jim Carey was a greater goalie than Luongo too since he won the Vezina.

What a garbage take.

So stats are important to you as long as it fits your obviously biased narrative. Save percentage without any context is the only thing that matters. But the number of actual Vezinas doesn’t matter because again, he has 0. Ok. Do you know that choking doesn’t mean having a bad save percentage? In fact, it means having good stats but caving in situations. That describes Luongo perfectly. No one accuses bad goalies with bad stats of choking because there are no expectations. Luongo is supposed to be this great goalie but he could never close the deal. He was definitely part of the problem in Vancouver.

And you’re pretending like the Canucks weren’t an elite team in 2011. They had 2-0 and 3-2 series leads and Luongo would come up with his worst performances each time. That doesn’t mean the other players were good in those games, but giving up 8 goals? Come on.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
So stats are important to you as long as it fits your obviously biased narrative. Save percentage without any context is the only thing that matters. But the number of actual Vezinas doesn’t matter because again, he has 0. Ok. Do you know that choking doesn’t mean having a bad save percentage? In fact, it means having good stats but caving in situations. That describes Luongo perfectly. No one accuses bad goalies with bad stats of choking because there are no expectations. Luongo is supposed to be this great goalie but he could never close the deal. He was definitely part of the problem in Vancouver.

And you’re pretending like the Canucks weren’t an elite team in 2011. They had 2-0 and 3-2 series leads and Luongo would come up with his worst performances each time. That doesn’t mean the other players were good in those games, but giving up 8 goals? Come on.

Jesus Christ... so if a goalie has 8 2nd place finishes for the Vezina youre saying he wasnt good? Again, you think Bobrovsky was a greater goalie than Lundqvist since he won one more Vezina? You think Brad Park was an overrated dman too since he was always runnerup to Orr and never won the Norris? GET SOME COMMON SENSE, MAN.

As for the SCF..... They lost 8-1. Did they even have a chance anyways? You wanted him to win 1-0 again?!?!

The guy posted TWO 1-0 shutouts, and had a clutch performance in the 3-2 OT win. The Canucks scored 8 GOALS in 7 games. And here you are saying Lu was at fault, OF COURSE. So thank you for proving my point.

Just another hater with an agenda cherry picking a few bad moments to define a goalie's career... such a garbage ass pov.

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Jesus Christ... so if a goalie has 8 2nd place finishes for the Vezina youre saying he wasnt good? Again, you think Bobrovsky was a greater goalie than Lundqvist since he won one more Vezina? You think Brad Park was an overrated dman too since he was always runnerup to Orr and never won the Norris? GET SOME COMMON SENSE, MAN.

As for the SCF..... They lost 8-1. Did they even have a chance anyways? You wanted him to win 1-0 again?!?!

The guy posted TWO 1-0 shutouts, and had a clutch performance in the 3-2 OT win. The Canucks scored 8 GOALS in 7 games. And here you are saying Lu was at fault, OF COURSE. So thank you for proving my point.

Just another hater with an agenda cherry picking a few bad moments to define a goalie's career... such a garbage ass pov.

I don’t expect him to win 1-0. But I expect him not to choke and give up deflating goals. The only one who doesn’t know what he’s talking about here is you. You’re so butt hurt that your favorite goalie faltered in big game situations that you can’t see straight. I listed five different examples. The guy could have won 5 straight Vezinas and he’d still be a playoff choker. How you do in big games defines your legacy more than anything. Especially as a goalie. Luongo wasn’t clutch. Sorry if that upsets you. Glad you’re happy with his second, third, fourth and seventh place Vezina finishes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad