News Article: Lundqvist: 'I've questioned why we're not more pissed off after a loss'

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Great article that speaks to his dedication and desire to win...

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/...we-re-not-more-pissed-off-after-a-loss-080615

Full article is on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/3fzfit/ive_questioned_why_were_not_more_pissed_off_after/

When Henrik Lundqvist finally decides to retire from professional hockey, he will likely go down as one of the greatest goalies to ever grace the crease for the New York Rangers. But Lundqvist is missing the one thing all hockey players desperately want out of their careers: a Stanley Cup championship.

In a recent interview with a Swedish outlet, Lundqvist gave fans a peek into how he prepares for each NHL season. The story is a study in perfectionism and determination, and according to a translation posted on Reddit of the story, Lundqvist questions everything he and his teammates do to see if they can improve. That questioning extends as far as anger after losses.

"I've questioned why we’re [the Rangers] not more pissed off after losses," Lundqvist told Expressen.se reporter Magnus Nystrom.

The comment seemed to be less about the Rangers' actual desire to win and more about Lundqvist striving to be a better player in every way. When asked who he thought was the best of the best in terms of bullheaded players, Lundqvist championed Hockey Hall of Famer Peter Forsberg.

"He was determined and wanted to win at any cost. You could tell on the ice, so clearly," Lundqvist said to Nystrom. "He just decided. This is going to happen. Not every player has that quality."

Lundqvist seems to also have the desire to win at any cost. He proved that during the 2014-15 season when he chose to play through a serious neck injury. On Jan. 31, Lundqvist was hit in the neck by a puck, causing his head to snap back so hard that he partially tore a blood vessel in the back of his neck. Lundqvist finished that game, however, and he played the following game as well before doctors determined the extent of the injury and shut him down. Had Lundqvist continued to play through the injury, he could have risked having a stroke.

The man New Yorkers call King Henrik recovered in time for the playoffs, however, and he helped the Rangers to the Eastern Conference Finals, where New York lost in seven games to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

So with another failed Stanley Cup campaign behind him, Lundqvist has been preparing for the upcoming season by waking up at 7 a.m. to work out in a cold and empty rink in Sweden. When Nystrom suggested to Lundqvist that his game is near perfection and Lundqvist might not have to keep those hours, Lundqvist shut the suggestion down.

"The day you think you can’t get any better is the day you’ll see your competition ahead of you," Lundqvist said to Nystrom. "You can always get better, there are always things you can be better at."
Perhaps that's the exact quality which makes Lundqvist a King.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
"The day you think you can’t get any better is the day you’ll see your competition ahead of you."

****in' right Henke

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This has a lot to do with the buddy buddy nature of some in this squad and the coaching. There was always a vibe of we'll get em next time with some players in this core and that needs to change.

Those guys that would take losing very personally are gone, and the Rangers need a player or two like that...

Basically what I'm trying to say is that they need more of a killer instinct with their guys and a little friction in the locker room with the coaching staff and players.

There are quite a few guys that love playing in NY, but they need to weed out the guys that like it because of the life style rather than the city if you know what I mean. I think they did do that to a degree this off season.

I wouldn't mind a little more snarl in the line up, guys that have a disposition of a Perry or Kesler.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This has a lot to do with the buddy buddy nature of some in this squad and the coaching. There was always a vibe of we'll get em next time with some players in this core and that needs to change.

Those guys that would take losing very personally are gone, and the Rangers need a player or two like that...

Basically what I'm trying to say is that they need more of a killer instinct with their guys and a little friction in the locker room with the coaching staff and players.

There are quite a few guys that love playing in NY, but they need to weed out the guys that like it because of the life style rather than the city if you know what I mean.

I could not agree more.

This article is a testament as to why Henrik Lundqvist is the true captain of this team. A loss would actually ruin his weekend.

He was inconsolable after Game 5 of the SCF a little over a year ago. I wanted to cry for him. He took losing in the SCF so hard, anyone could tell how badly he wanted his Cup. Until his body betrays him or he starts to slow down due to age, he is going to be on a mission to achieve that goal. Because of this, the Rangers' front office is going to assure that this window to contend stays open as long as #30 is patrolling the crease. Those calling for a full on rebuild shouldn't hold their breath. It's not happening for at least another 6 years when Lundqvist's contract expires.

As far as the "buddy buddy" culture in the locker room, it's fine. But there's a fine line between having a good time playing the sport you love with friends and it becoming a frat house with the "oh well" mentality. It's fine to have a closely knit room, but there need to be a couple of players or coaches in there with piss and vinegar that will do anything to win. I see Lundqvist as the only one on this current team with that mentality.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I could not agree more.

This article is a testament as to why Henrik Lundqvist is the true captain of this team. A loss would actually ruin his weekend.

He was inconsolable after Game 5 of the SCF a little over a year ago. I wanted to cry for him. He took losing in the SCF so hard, anyone could tell how badly he wanted his Cup. Until his body betrays him or he starts to slow down due to age, he is going to be on a mission to achieve that goal. Because of this, the Rangers' front office is going to assure that this window to contend stays open as long as #30 is patrolling the crease. Those calling for a full on rebuild shouldn't hold their breath. It's not happening for at least another 6 years when Lundqvist's contract expires.

As far as the "buddy buddy" culture in the locker room, it's fine. But there's a fine line between having a good time playing the sport you love with friends and it becoming a frat house with the "oh well" mentality. It's fine to have a closely knit room, but there need to be a couple of players or coaches in there with piss and vinegar that will do anything to win. I see Lundqvist as the only one on this current team with that mentality.

Can we hook up Rick Nash to an IV filled with piss and vinegar? I'll gladly fill it up for him.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
He's such a fierce competitor, it always confuses me when Lundqvist's detractors question his focus and commitment.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the locker room after a loss. There are always a few players who try to minimize it (and this has become especially evident in soundbites to the press during all those 7-game series we've played in), but Lundqvist is usually the only one seething with disappointment. His tenacity, determination, and work ethic in addition to his skill level is what really sets him apart from others.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To me the fiercest guys are Henrik and D guys like McDonagh and Girardi who pay the price with their shot blocking. Zuccarello with his cocky 'you're not going to push me around' attitude. Dom Moore is another one. Tom Wilson gives Moore a dirty shot and Moore gives Wilson an even dirtier one--and it's not the first time I've see Moore do that. Kevin Klein I'd give kudos to--there's no way he's beating up Brandon Prust but Prust ****s with his goalie--the fight is on--and not just once--it happened twice. Kreider is off and on--when he's in beast mode he's a monster but he's not consistent. Fast I think has possibilities.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Dom Moore is another one. Tom Wilson gives Moore a dirty shot and Moore gives Wilson an even dirtier one--and it's not the first time I've see Moore do that.

Moore has a lot of Messier in him. Not the skill, obviously, but the way he plays the game.

We do need more of that. You look at guys who have been here in the past, like Ortmeyer and Avery. The skill might not have been there, or you may have hated the personality, but you never questioned their drive and desire to win.

If you put that kind of motor in Rick Nash? Jesus christ.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Why am I not surprised in the least? This is the kind of thing a leader says out loud. It was easy to know he has always felt this way, just burning to compete, so I never really needed this statement to know how he feels.
Obviously, this is directly aimed the team in general. That "eff you all, we are winning this thing" and pushing back against the other team is a winning attitude. I love Zucc for that too, and there are other instances of Rangers players showing that fierce pride.
It's a great affirmation of knowing that emotion matters a lot.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Moore has a lot of Messier in him. Not the skill, obviously, but the way he plays the game.

We do need more of that. You look at guys who have been here in the past, like Ortmeyer and Avery. The skill might not have been there, or you may have hated the personality, but you never questioned their drive and desire to win.

If you put that kind of motor in Rick Nash? Jesus christ.

I remember Moore in his first training camp as a pro--in a scrimmage he hit Messier and knocked Mark loopy for a while. There was a big to do about that from the beat writers. Moore is not really a guy who hits all the time but he is a very competitive player and if someone gives him a hard time--he's sneaky nasty. Moore will also take charge--especially in the defensive end of the ice if the rest of the team starts running around.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
To me the fiercest guys are Henrik and D guys like McDonagh and Girardi who pay the price with their shot blocking. Zuccarello with his cocky 'you're not going to push me around' attitude. Dom Moore is another one. Tom Wilson gives Moore a dirty shot and Moore gives Wilson an even dirtier one--and it's not the first time I've see Moore do that. Kevin Klein I'd give kudos to--there's no way he's beating up Brandon Prust but Prust ****s with his goalie--the fight is on--and not just once--it happened twice. Kreider is off and on--when he's in beast mode he's a monster but he's not consistent. Fast I think has possibilities.

Zuke has always struck me as having a little Theo Fleury rage in him. I forgot who it was against (I think it was some huge guy on Buffalo a couple years back?), but the first time I saw Zuke stand up to somebody shoving him around after the whistle, I knew right away he was going to be one of my favorite players in recent Ranger memory. He took a shot, stared straight up at whoever it was and just went HAM shoving and jabbing back. He looked so incensed, it got me so amped to see him stay and play here.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Zuke has always struck me as having a little Theo Fleury rage in him. I forgot who it was against (I think it was some huge guy on Buffalo a couple years back?), but the first time I saw Zuke stand up to somebody shoving him around after the whistle, I knew right away he was going to be one of my favorite players in recent Ranger memory. He took a shot, stared straight up at whoever it was and just went HAM shoving and jabbing back. He looked so incensed, it got me so amped to see him stay and play here.

No. Fleury would go off the deep end a lot. Fleury's rage starts with his childhood which wasn't really pleasant--gets much worse after his WHL coach Graham James sexually abused him (amongst others)--it goes into the world of pain killers, alcoholism and whatever else. I haven't read his book by the way--this stuff has been out there for a while. Anyway his years with the Rangers he was way too often out of control. I don't think NYC ever was a good place for him to be.

Zucc's style is totally controlled. He doesn't lose it. He carps at and smart mouths opponents and he's totally happy shoving them back if they take physical liberties with him. He's a really competitive guy but not really a angry one. That said--he's got to be near the top of the list of current Rangers as far as hating to be bested by anybody.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
No. Fleury would go off the deep end a lot. Fleury's rage starts with his childhood which wasn't really pleasant--gets much worse after his WHL coach Graham James sexually abused him (amongst others)--it goes into the world of pain killers, alcoholism and whatever else. I haven't read his book by the way--this stuff has been out there for a while. Anyway his years with the Rangers he was way too often out of control. I don't think NYC ever was a good place for him to be.

Zucc's style is totally controlled. He doesn't lose it. He carps at and smart mouths opponents and he's totally happy shoving them back if they take physical liberties with him. He's a really competitive guy but not really a angry one. That said--he's got to be near the top of the list of current Rangers as far as hating to be bested by anybody.

Yes I understand where Fleury's temper and actions stemmed from. I wasn't saying Zuke is an exact clone of Fleury in his personal life and life story or how they play, just with that "not going to take ****" attitude. Doubly so with both being smaller guys.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I could not agree more.

We all know this, I think that the brass understands this as well. There are more competitors needed on this squad. It helps to have good chemistry yes, but it helps to have accountability as well.

I think Hank is an old man compared to some of the younger forwards on the team, and some of them make a lot of money to live in NYC... which for those that don't know.. can be quite an enjoyable lifestyle.

The Rangers did move out a couple of players that were that type of player in my opinion... I don't want my posts deleted for a TOS violation, but there were quite a few Rangers in recent years that absolutely loved playing in NYC because of the city and perhaps not the jersey.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes I understand where Fleury's temper and actions stemmed from. I wasn't saying Zuke is an exact clone of Fleury in his personal life and life story, just with that "not going to take ****" attitude. Doubly so with both being smaller guys.

It's a different game though too. There were very few NHL players Fleury's size when he played. There are a lot more these days. It was also a much more violent league. Practically every team had a couple monsters and fights etc. happened with much greater frequency which is one reason why there were so few small and skilled types. They would get brutalized. D-men--10-15 years ago used to go to town on players setting up in front of the net. Multiple crosschecks--punching players in the back of the head etc. etc. would much more often than not go unpunished. Without his anger and attitude Fleury would have never made it.

Zuccarello OTOH would have made it--without the attitude but he's a lot better player for having it. It's made him into a real leader on the team and it's a main reason why he's so popular with not just his teammates but also Rangers fans and even the press or NHL commentators. In a way he's a bit of a throwback but he hasn't had to battle for it the same as Fleury did.

mti79

May 11, 2007
I love Hank's attitude! He's one of the best in the world and always striving to get better.

Zucc is great for his "I don't care that I'm small, you're not pushing me or my teammates around."

Prucha was another player whose motor never stopped running. (filled thread quota for Prucha references...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad