Value of: Lundqvist @ 30% Retained

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Come on, his salary is large but he will win 30+ games, he is very serviceable and hardly a cap dump, by the way he outplayed the "best" goalie in the NHL in the first rd.

Habs threw a bunch of garbage at the net because our team is absolutely terrible at scoring and crash the net is the only thing we were capable of doing. We were 28th in league scoring from the start of January. Lundqvist looked way better then he should've that series and Ottawa took care of that.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Most likely Troy Brouwer - 3 years at $4.5 million but he has a NTC as well. It helps take some of the bite of $8.5 million if he did waive the NTC.

Wow there was a GM dumb enough to give Troy Brouwer a NTC. Some GM' have no skill so they hand them out like candy on holloween

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Assuming he agreed to waive his NMC to go to a playoff team like Calgary, is there anything (realistically - no Bennett/Jankowski/Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Brodie/Hamilton/Giordano) the Rangers might agree to for him at age 35?

You expect a realistic trade for Lundqvist without any of the bolded names involved?

You're trying to buy a house that isn't for sale. That's not how this works.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Habs threw a bunch of garbage at the net because our team is absolutely terrible at scoring and crash the net is the only thing we were capable of doing. We were 28th in league scoring from the start of January. Lundqvist looked way better then he should've that series and Ottawa took care of that.

Whatever helps you sleep.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

Did you even watch that series? Montreal was all over Lundqvist and it was pretty obvious Lundqvist outplayed Price. Habs got much better chances and Lundqvist made tons of insane saves. Price may be the better goalie nowadays but Lundqvist was easily better in that series

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

The Rangers overachieved no doubt. They shouldn't have beat Montreal....they should have beat Ottawa. They didn't lose because of Hank. They lost because their defense was terrible, as it was almost all year and they blew leads in the games and lost in OT each time.(see terrible defense)

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Come on, his salary is large but he will win 30+ games, he is very serviceable and hardly a cap dump, by the way he outplayed the "best" goalie in the NHL in the first rd.

He outplayed nothing, Habs were shooting from everywhere and we were not able to score on his juicy rebound... He had an easy serie against us.

He was like .910% against the sens.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Raanta was better than Lundqvist this year and will probably be better next year. Almost certain to be better after that.

I think what will happen is Lundqvist will be told that he is going to backup Raanta or he can waive his NMC for the expansion draft. Vegas selects him and are paid to do so by a 1st round pick in a good future draft. Lundqvist still gets to start rather than be a backup. He also moves to a 0% state income tax team from a very high state tax team. On his contract that could be an extra $400k a year or so.

The cap savings are used to upgrade the defense by signing Shattenkirk.

You get an upgrade on defense. Upgrade in goal overall for the next few years. And unless Shattenkirk wants the full cap savings this move generates, the excess can be used to retain Raanta on a 3 year contract until the other Ranger goalie prospects are ready. Otherwise, I can see Raanta leaving in a year because he wants to start.

So for that 1st round pick, Rangers effectively get Shattenkirk from the cap space freed up and can upgrade in goal by keeping Raanta.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/mcguire-pekka-rinne-is-getting-lost-in-his-net-1.767073

13:05 or so. I thought Perry fits but the talk about how strong Vegas' goaltending will be makes me think Lundqvist.

Pierre McGuire says it's:

Very big name player
very high cap hit
1st round pick to vegas so they take him
makes vegas better than people think.

it's a cap dump so that means not on AZ or any team with space. Not ovechkin since he will return assets and not cost a 1st round pick to select him. Not anyone on Pitt or Nashville since they are still playing and I read that a deal like this can only be made once a team's season is done.

Pierre seemed certain vegas will have good goaltending. What guys fit what Pierre mentioned? there are not many. Perry, Lundqvist, and who else?

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Lol that the Rangers are going to tell the franchise leader in almost every goal stat that he's going to be a back up at 35 years old

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
He outplayed nothing, Habs were shooting from everywhere and we were not able to score on his juicy rebound... He had an easy serie against us.

He was like .910% against the sens.

With that logic, you must be totally right......Lundqvist obviously sucks. I don't know why they keep him around.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'd rather move all of them, and tank. We are going nowhere. Declining goalie and defense, no real superstar on offense.

We'll make the playoffs most likely, but I'm not sure we'll do much better than this season.

I would like to be excited with the Rangers drafting in the top 5 for a couple of years and stocking up on top prospects, but do you know how long an actual re-build takes when you're tanking?

Zucc is 29, Stepan is 26, McDonagh is 27, Fast is 25, Smith is 27, Kreider is 25. That doesn't sound bad right now, but in 4-5 years, that sounds pretty bad. If we go into rebuilding mode, by the time those prospects are ready to contribute, we're wasting those players.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Can you tell me the High Danger shots/chances from the Habs/Rangers series?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Not going anywhere.

Fix the defense and Hank will be fine. Team has two defenders who bleed shot attempts in their top 4 last season. Remove Girardi and Staal (who I think Pierre is likely referring to for Vegas if it is NYR) and they'll be better.

member 157595

So you want the Rangers to trade their starting goaltender, retain 30% of his salary and don't want to give up any type of piece that would be worthwhile.

Yeah, this is going to work out well.

I'd like Johnny Gaudreau and Dougie Hamilton for Dan Girardi and Tanner Glass.

If AV had veto powers, he'd invoke them. :laugh:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I don`t mind moving Henrik - he is 36 years old next year, and use the high draft picks to build the future while he has value in this league. But I really doubt he go for retained value - he is still among the best goalies in the league. He had like 94% save percentage and won gold against Canada in world champs, but most Canadian fans would said they had a B team since Crosby still playing, and Price & Talbot probably said no this year to play for Canada.

I like to build the future team though, but most Ranger fans are against to move Henrik for obvious reasons and t-shirt sales, and Gorton would probably not move him to avoid crisis in Rangers town and MSG. He will probably retire as a Ranger, but he would certainly get a great value back if Jeff Gorton decided to move his franchise player. :nod:

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Wow there was a GM dumb enough to give Troy Brouwer a NTC. Some GM' have no skill so they hand them out like candy on holloween

He has a 15 team NTC, not a full NTC. Still not ideal, but let's not pretend he has a full NMC and NTC or something obscene like that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Assuming he agreed to waive his NMC to go to a playoff team like Calgary, is there anything (realistically - no Bennett/Jankowski/Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Brodie/Hamilton/Giordano) the Rangers might agree to for him at age 35?

So, you want a marquee name top 10 goalie for your depth pieces and junk? Sorry, I know he only has a year left but Henrik Lundqvist with 30% retention would bring back more than a teams extras. I'm not talking a Brodie/Hamilton/Monahan return, but for a player like that you certainly don't put Jankowski on the untouchables list.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would like to be excited with the Rangers drafting in the top 5 for a couple of years and stocking up on top prospects, but do you know how long an actual re-build takes when you're tanking?

Zucc is 29, Stepan is 26, McDonagh is 27, Fast is 25, Smith is 27, Kreider is 25. That doesn't sound bad right now, but in 4-5 years, that sounds pretty bad. If we go into rebuilding mode, by the time those prospects are ready to contribute, we're wasting those players.

Don't care. They aren't good enough for a reason. That age group of players is the reason we need to tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad