Value of: Lundqvist @ 30% Retained

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I mean if the Rangers would prefer to protect Raanta and asked him to move on, saving them 6 million in cap space for the next three years.

Not gonna happen. Lundqvist is still a top goalie in the league, regardless of the down year. That team can still win with him in the net. Doubt the Flames would want a goalie near the end of his game either. He'll be 40 when that contract runs up.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Not gonna happen. Lundqvist is still a top goalie in the league, regardless of the down year. That team can still win with him in the net. Doubt the Flames would want a goalie near the end of his game either. He'll be 40 when that contract runs up.

Whats considered still a top goalie in the league?

Sorry, Im going to go out on a limb and say the guy who just posted a career low season and turns 36 next season is not a top goalie.

.910 sv pct at 35 doesnt inspire confidence of a big bounceback year

its not so much the numbers but he LOOKED bad most of the year. Guessing, leaky goals, slow to react, getting beat clean off angle, etc

Lundqvist deserves respect more than any other blueshirt, but its time to call a spade a spade, hes on a likely large and continual downslide of his career

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Sorry, Im going to go out on a limb and say the guy who just posted a career low season and turns 36 next season is not a top goalie.

its not so much the numbers but he LOOKED bad most of the year. Guessing, leaky goals, slow to react, getting beat clean off angle, etc

Lundqvist deserves respect more than any other blueshirt, but its time to call a spade a spade, hes on a likely large and continual downslide of his career

He was pretty good in the playoffs despite 1/2 of his D corps. not being NHL caliber.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Assuming he agreed to waive his NMC to go to a playoff team like Calgary, is there anything (realistically - no Bennett/Jankowski/Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Brodie/Hamilton/Giordano) the Rangers might agree to for him at age 35?

If you aren't willing to part with a guy like Mark Jankowski, there's no deal to be done.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
His contract isn't good but I'd rather we move G/Staal. After them being moved/bought out we'd be good with the cap and Nash's 7.8 mil leaves next season too. Not really interested in moving him as a cap dump, would rather have him retire a Ranger unless he's going to a contender (which Calgary will for sure be in a few years but isn't there yet) Flames need cap space for their young guys and let the team and Gillies/Parsons develop. I'm sure one of them could be a starting goalie so just work out a deal for Raanta from us. Lundqvist is still a high end goalie though and he showed that in the playoffs. Regular season, I don't know what that was but it's the playoffs that really matter and he has consistently been solid in them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His contract isn't good but I'd rather we move G/Staal. After them being moved/bought out we'd be good with the cap and Nash's 7.8 mil leaves next season too. Not really interested in moving him as a cap dump, would rather have him retire a Ranger unless he's going to a contender (which Calgary will for sure be in a few years but isn't there yet) Flames need cap space for their young guys and let the team and Gillies/Parsons develop. I'm sure one of them could be a starting goalie so just work out a deal for Raanta from us. Lundqvist is still a high end goalie though and he showed that in the playoffs. Regular season, I don't know what that was but it's the playoffs that really matter and he has consistently been solid in them.

I'd rather move all of them, and tank. We are going nowhere. Declining goalie and defense, no real superstar on offense.

We'll make the playoffs most likely, but I'm not sure we'll do much better than this season.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
If Calgary took on Lunqvist cap hit of $8.5 million per season, it would leave the Flames a little more than $13 million in cap space for 8 players. We still need to sign Ferland, Bennett, a back up goalie and a #4 dman along with 4 more roster players. I don't think it would work unless a back contract was going back and I don't believe the Rangers would want to do that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Calgary took on Lunqvist cap hit of $8.5 million per season, it would leave the Flames a little more than $13 million in cap space for 8 players. We still need to sign Ferland, Bennett, a back up goalie and a #4 dman along with 4 more roster players. I don't think it would work unless a back contract was going back and I don't believe the Rangers would want to do that.

Not an equal contract, but what contracts would you guys have in mind?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

lolol the defense brought him down.

Like the Rangers are gonna trade the best keeper in franchise history....

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Assuming he agreed to waive his NMC to go to a playoff team like Calgary, is there anything (realistically - no Bennett/Jankowski/Gaudreau/Tkachuk/Brodie/Hamilton/Giordano) the Rangers might agree to for him at age 35?

So you want the Rangers to trade their starting goaltender, retain 30% of his salary and don't want to give up any type of piece that would be worthwhile.

Yeah, this is going to work out well.

I'd like Johnny Gaudreau and Dougie Hamilton for Dan Girardi and Tanner Glass.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
Hank put the team on his back on the playoffs despite inept coaching and a woeful D corps. Those few weeks showed he still has it, I'd put his poor regular season down to the wonder twins being permanent top 4 fixtures.

#30 Will retire a Ranger unless something very very dramatic happened.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Goalies do not bring the windfall fans hope to see. So any fair offer would likely get panned by the Rangers fan base.

Had a down season, part of that is on him, a more significant reason is the D in front of him. If there was a team that could have used him, it would have been Dallas. A team that is looking to win now. But with the bishop acquisition and signing that's out.

Hank is here until he retires and Igor comes in.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I wouldn't trade Lundqvist. And for all the talk of his decline, he's still able to go out there and outplay the supposed "best goalie in the world" in the first round and overall put up really good numbers over two rounds. He's still a big game player, we don't need him to be Vezina caliber in the regular season any more. With a better D corps in front of him, we're probably playing in the ECF and maybe in the Finals.

Besides, he has a NTC and would have to agree to be moved, which I doubt he would.

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid

You can have him for free if you take his full contract. 50%, we'd need a prospect or pick. 30%, NO.

He's a cap dump at this point. Scary contract :amazed:

Too many dumb comments in this thread...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Realistically? but you are not willing to give up any of your better players? Yea we will take your trash and 6th round picks. That good for you boss? Keep dreaming, 35 or not, he's still a top goalie in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad