Confirmed with Link: Luke Tuch sign with Habs (2 years ELC, start in 2024-2025) AHL 1-way 2023-2024

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Douche is extreme, but a potential 4th liner holding out just to shave off a year of his ELC is a diva move. Seems like he got what he wanted in the end so not sure why people who frowned upon this should feel silly.
I agree. While I did not comment or name-call, my initial reaction was, Fine then, we don't want you. Even now, knowing that he has finally decided to grace the Habs with his signature on a contract, that sentiment still stands. If a player hesitates that much, I start to wonder if they're really the right fit for the team or its spirit or its culture. I might not have the full story, but as of now, I'm not too thrilled about him signing with the Habs; maybe he and his ego belong on another team.:dunno:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I agree. While I did not comment or name-call, my initial reaction was, Fine then, we don't want you. Even now, knowing that he has finally decided to grace the Habs with his signature on a contract, that sentiment still stands. If a player hesitates that much, I start to wonder if they're really the right fit for the team or its spirit or its culture. I might not have the full story, but as of now, I'm not too thrilled about him signing with the Habs; maybe he and his ego belong on another team.:dunno:
What is wrong with negotiation? It's like little kids who get upset, take their ball, and go home. Kent is used to negotiations, and I'm sure they are following their process. If they wanted to sign Luke, they should follow their process. If they never wanted to sign Luke, then they should have never offered anything.

I'm willing to wait for the announcement and let the professionals take care of this, without passing judgement on things that I don't know anything about.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I am so hoping that my initial reactions of this signing are beneficiary of the habs competitive aspirations.

8ms1kp.jpg
Elliot "95% done" Friedman

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
What is wrong with negotiation? It's like little kids who get upset, take their ball, and go home. Kent is used to negotiations, and I'm sure they are following their process. If they wanted to sign Luke, they should follow their process. If they never wanted to sign Luke, then they should have never offered anything.

I'm willing to wait for the announcement and let the professionals take care of this, without passing judgement on things that I don't know anything about.
Nothing is wrong with negotiating. It is just his approach that rubs me the wrong way. He has proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level yet. Even CC, before he signed his $8M contract, had the good sense to show a little humility in public, and he had much more cause to be pompous about his negotiations had he wanted to. Tuch could have opted for a more tactful response, something along the lines of 'My agent is handling it' or 'We are working through the process.'

Reactions: themilosh

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Nothing is wrong with negotiating. It is just his approach that rubs me the wrong way. He has proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level yet. Even CC, before he signed his $8M contract, had the good sense to show a little humility in public, and he had much more cause to be pompous about his negotiations had he wanted to. Tuch could have opted for a more tactful response, something along the lines of 'My agent is handling it' or 'We are working through the process.'
Did I miss something? What did he say? I haven't heard anything from Tuch's camp, nor from the Hab's management. I'm assuming they are negotiating and seeing if they can make something work. He might want a 1-way contract rather than a 2-way, or an NHL rather than an AHL. I have no idea what is on offer or what has been countered.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I'm taking that 90K every single time
And theres nothing wrong with that either..
Some players just work together, im sure drudru would have forgone half his salary to have just started out in colorado. Kadri should have accepted the Avs offer for $1M less, but he wanted the most ge could get, so he plowed his way to Calgary to help them out at overasking for his services, asking Monahan and a 1st to leave... but hey at least hes an "A".

Gaudreau same thing... divas...

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Did I miss something? What did he say? I haven't heard anything from Tuch's camp, nor from the Hab's management. I'm assuming they are negotiating and seeing if they can make something work. He might want a 1-way contract rather than a 2-way, or an NHL rather than an AHL. I have no idea what is on offer or what has been countered.
My understanding is that he had said something like, "I have not decided if I am going to sign with the Habs," suggesting that he would have sign with another team. I am not sure in what thread that was posted, maybe in yesterday's GDT. It's all good, I just find it a little off-putting.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
My understanding is that he had said something like, "I have not decided if I am going to sign with the Habs," suggesting that he would have sign with another team. I am not sure in what thread that was posted, maybe in yesterday's GDT. It's all good, I just find it a little off-putting.

He hasn't said anything publicly. Nobody has. You guys are inventing a strawman and then teeing off on that same strawman cause your feelings got hurt by nobody. It's hilarious but also sad because it's a reflection of modern day society.

Even if he was negotiating there is still absolutely nothing wrong with that. Imagine you were signed by your employer for 4 years and you wanted more money but they wouldn't budge. Then imagine there were other completely comparable companies that were offering the exact same or better pay with perhaps better working conditions. You would be stupid to not consider that and hopefully nobody would blame you. People certainly wouldn't have the right to judge you on it.

In this insane world though grown men will call you a douche and a diva and all kinds of negative things and then wonder why nobody wants to sign here. It's the most toxic environment that exists in the NHL.

Last edited:

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Has anyone watched Tuch more than @montreal? Then I want to hear from you and him. Kudos to the guys who spend hours watching low quality videos so some of us don’t have to. Takes a lot of the guess work some of us go through as we attempt to extrapolate from limited viewings.
Nobody here has seen any of our prospects more than @montreal - he's a legend! Has been that way for as long as I've been here (20 years this December!)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is today the day they officially announce it? It's possible they waited for Monday as weekdays is when they can discuss it on radio/TV.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He hasn't said anything lol

Is today the day they officially announce it? It's possible they waited for Monday as weekdays is when they can discuss it on radio/TV.
Unless he has an HF account and browses this Habs page...expect an announcement today lol

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
This close to free agency, would be a major consideration for many. And unless there is a good incentive to give that up, there wouldn`t be great urgency to sign now. Should be some news on this shortly.

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Understood, and agree to an extent.. ive been in "sales" all my life, and so-called negotiations are never won when 1 party feels theyve been had; Nash Equilibrium/ Prisoner's Dilemma.

If Hugo was "willing" to reneg on a 3yr ELC and burn 1 year, then he should have offered that from the get go. It builds so much more trust amongst players/agents. This is not the old days of Gordie Howe on hush money... everything is public, with full sites dedicated to caps.

It's a 2 year ELC when signing at age 22.

The answer or win/win must be for both parties. Likewise if a player is trying to squeeze every last free dollar of the Cap forcing a team to overpay, then that player must be traded immediately as they are not about winning a cup.

I don't get how a team could ever "over-pay". They can always say no.

Perhaps the GM sees it another way. If he has to sign a tough forward with a touch of scoring on the NHL trade or UFA market, it might cost a lot more than developing Tuch.

Thankfully Hugo has hedged the salary ceiling to Suzuki (brilliant strategy). If any player has the balls to want more than our captain, then hasta la vista. We could have 5 x 8m$ players in our top 6 and be incredibly competitive. Unlike the Leafs (except Matthews) marner/Nylander/Tavares have ruined their team with greed.

I don't think Suzuki's contract represents an internal cap. Gorton as much as said so last year during the Dubois discussions.

Reactions: 417

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
This close to free agency, would be a major consideration for many. And unless there is a good incentive to give that up, there wouldn`t be great urgency to sign now. Should be some news on this shortly.
Yeah, and the alternative to signing with the Habs is to play with hia brother close to home... and there's nothing preventing him from making that real.

It's not a straightforward decision. There are actually more incentives for him NOT to sign with the Habs. If he does, then that will be to his credit. If he doesn't, I would fully understand.

Reactions: Chili

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
With Florian and Tuch, it is nice to have some 4th line prospects that aren't just fringe AHL skilled guys. These are legit physical 4th line prospects.
Let’s see what they can do in the AHL before pencilling them in as NHLers, 4th line or not.

Reactions: dinodebino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad