Speculation: Luke Schenn

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I actually wouldn't mind having him back on the leafs. He can't be worse than Hunwick. Then again, I don't think there are very many d worse than Hunwick.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He got caught watching the puck a lot in the LA system, but I think if he were used to it, he would have been better.

Definitely still should be in the NHL, at least as a depth option. Have to think he'll sign cheap later this summer or on a PTO.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He got caught watching the puck a lot in the LA system, but I think if he were used to it, he would have been better.

Definitely still should be in the NHL, at least as a depth option. Have to think he'll sign cheap later this summer or on a PTO.

I would imagine he gets a contract and not PTO

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He still can't skate and still can't do anything with the puck. The Leafs need to stay away from him.

He'll be out of the NHL within a couple years

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
The Leafs were 10th in the conference in 2010-11, and 8 points out of a playoff spot. How is that almost making the playoffs? :laugh:

They were 3 points out with 3 games remaining; it was a long shot, but the end of that season felt like playoff hockey:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Luke Schenn would be better off signing with an eastern conference team that needs a big guy on the back end, and to mentor the young kids.
Maybe Carolina, New Jersey or Columbus.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He makes really poor decisions. Don't think it's a foot speed or mobility issue, just doesn't see plays as they develop.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Wasn't he a top 5 NHL shutdown defenceman in Toronto? What happened to him?

He has a specialized set of skills. The game is becoming more speed based and transitional and schenn lacks the footspeed. Still good at clearing the net and working in the corners, but never continued the play we saw in his rookie year.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
He has a specialized set of skills. The game is becoming more speed based and transitional and schenn lacks the footspeed. Still good at clearing the net and working in the corners, but never continued the play we saw in his rookie year.

somebody like babcock could redefine his game. Someone needs to help him develop to the game. Hes still young even hes worth a shot as a 6/7 guy. I would prefer him over Corrado. He can clear the front of the net and his size helps him in the corners.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I have a feeling it'll be ottawa. Not my first choice, but for a third pairing guy on a short term, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I actually wouldn't mind a more defensive minded guy behind Karlsson and Ceci, let those two handle the offensive minutes and let a guy like Schenn or Gryba eat up PK minutes and defensive zone starts. Not sure how much value Wideman has league wide, might be wise to hold on to him as the #7 guy.

That being said, a Borowiecki - Schenn/Gryba pairing would be terrible, I guess a move like this would greatly help Chabot make the team. Either that or they make wholesale changes on the bottom pairing and bring in another lefty as well.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
It's not just about his speed. As a d you don't have to be fast if you have a high hockey iq and that is what he is lacking. Still he is good to have as a bottom pairing and is a good team first guy.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Wings should pick him up. They need guys in their twenties who are right shots. I think he could rebound in a sheltered role on a vet team.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
somebody like babcock could redefine his game. Someone needs to help him develop to the game. Hes still young even hes worth a shot as a 6/7 guy. I would prefer him over Corrado. He can clear the front of the net and his size helps him in the corners.
I think this might be giving Babcock too much credit. Sure, he's a great coach and can teach the technical components like few others can, but Schenn just doesn't have the tools to redefine his game. He just can't keep up, his lack of foot speed always held him back and that's unlikely to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad