Prospect Info: Luke Hughes - part IV (final)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
"This guy played more so his game was definitely better than night" .
No one ever even implied thiat.

There are certainly softer and harder minutes for defensemen, would you not agree? If you're playing 12 minutes a night as Dman(ES) with 75% offensive starts you most likely never saw any of those tough minutes....if you are playing 20+ minutes a night you are getting at least some of those tough minutes...it's inevitable.

Two anecdotal things...one I would submit that it is impossible to get 75% zone starts in either zone if you taking on a regular workload. Even for speciality players offense or defense, you couldn't get a 75% zone start playing 18 minutes a game. It's impossible, seeing more situations would even those out, at least somewhat...That player who is seeing 75% zone starts is obviously seeing a special set of situations there is no way around that.

Now, you have a guy with a couple of mistakes with softer minutes over a span of 12:55 ES....that is not remotely similar to a guy that commits a couple of mistakes over nearly 17 minutes ES ... let's say a guy like Graves who is starting in the Dzone 66.3% of the time and is playing 16+ minutes ES in these playoffs ...One guy is seeing many more situations and a much more difficult workload... one is doing addition and subtraction and the other guy is doing long division.... they're just not doing the same thing.

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Luke hasn't been perfect in the 3 games he played but I'm not sure how people can't be thrilled with him having a game winning goal and an assist in his 2nd game and than following it up with a pretty good playoff debut while only playing like 15 minutes. Yes he made that bad pass to give the Canes a goal but he did alot more good than bad in his playoff debut. He will get better at defending over time but he is super calm with the puck as a 19 year old. It's a high pressure environment to be in and he doesn't look nervous whatsoever. He even held his own physically on some plays against bigger players. The kid is going to be a gem once he gets settled to the NHL. I'm glad we are rolling 7 D so we can shorten the bench if need be if the game is close. He can still get some minutes and help us hopefully push the offense when he is out there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Luke hasn't been perfect in the 3 games he played but I'm not sure how people can't be thrilled with him having a game winning goal and an assist in his 2nd game and than following it up with a pretty good playoff debut while only playing like 15 minutes. Yes he made that bad pass to give the Canes a goal but he did alot more good than bad in his playoff debut. He will get better at defending over time but he is super calm with the puck as a 19 year old. It's a high pressure environment to be in and he doesn't look nervous whatsoever. He even held his own physically on some plays against bigger players. The kid is going to be a gem once he gets settled to the NHL. I'm glad we are rolling 7 D so we can shorten the bench if need be if the game is close. He can still get some minutes and help us hopefully push the offense when he is out there.
I am thrilled with Luke, completely....I don't think he was anywhere near "perfect" even with his sheltered usage last game.

I also think the pumping of his game while shitting on regular defensemen who are actually putting in the hard work is bullshit.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Repeating your point twice in consecutive posts doesn't make it true.

Not sure where all the Graves hate originated but it reminds me a lot of the Haula and Woods bashing during the regular season. I don't understand why this fan base has the inability to judge their own players other than by numbers or fuzzy "analytics".

Nothing about Luke's game suggests he was better defensively than Graves or Brendan Smith.

He has a flash to his game but is still a long way from being an NHL caliber defender.

It's easy to overlook those flaws when a team scores eight goals. That is an anomaly.
Since when was Graves a bad player analytically? And Haula for that matter, you’re just spouting bs without the slightest clue what you’re talking about. I think a somewhat common opinion is that Graves analytics are better than he actually is largely in part to Marino. And Haula’s analytics suggested all season that he was better than he appeared and his raw numbers. Wood was just a terrible hockey player all season. Don’t know how anyone could watch him either lose the puck every time he got it or throw a terrible angle shot from the boards that went right back towards our end and think he had a good season.

And it’s not Graves hate. He had a pretty long stretch this season of being relatively solid in between being bad and since the playoffs have started has been terrible. Has been a turnover machine, hasn’t handled pressure well at all, and hasn’t been able to handle other teams speed.

Next time you want to suggest people are just evaluating players based on their analytics maybe at least have a half decent idea how they look analytically so you don’t look dumb again suggesting people have been ripping on Haula or Graves because of analytics.

As someone who has for quite some time been worried about Luke’s D at the NHL level I was pleasantly surprised with his defensive work last game. Not perfect but used his skating and size extremely well to close on Carolina’s forwards, take away their space and end plays. And then he was transitioning very well out of the dzone. Couldn’t have asked for much more from him in the dzone. Some textbook examples throughout the game of how good skating D should defend. Was more than just an NHL caliber defender in his first playoff game.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
See this is what I'm talking about...

You can't say a guy who played 12:55 at even strength was "better defensively" than a guy who regularly plays 16 or 17 minutes at even strength...

Those two scenarios aren't the same. Those two players aren't doing the same thing. They're just not, it's not possible.
Graves has been horrible and you absolutely can. You can say that but also acknowledge that Graves has played tougher minutes. Graves has not been nearly good enough in his role and other guys who are doing well in there’s should get the opportunity to take on more of his icetime.

Also want to add that Luke wasn’t overly protected last game despite what some people assume

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I am thrilled with Luke, completely....I don't think he was anywhere near "perfect" even with his sheltered usage last game.

I also think the pumping of his game while shitting on regular defensemen who are actually putting in the hard work is bullshit.
All of a sudden you are the voice of reason? Someone get me a copy of the Book of Revelations.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Since when was Graves a bad player analytically? And Haula for that matter, you’re just spouting bs without the slightest clue what you’re talking about. I think a somewhat common opinion is that Graves analytics are better than he actually is largely in part to Marino. And Haula’s analytics suggested all season that he was better than he appeared and his raw numbers. Wood was just a terrible hockey player all season. Don’t know how anyone could watch him either lose the puck every time he got it or throw a terrible angle shot from the boards that went right back towards our end and think he had a good season.

And it’s not Graves hate. He had a pretty long stretch this season of being relatively solid in between being bad and since the playoffs have started has been terrible. Has been a turnover machine, hasn’t handled pressure well at all, and hasn’t been able to handle other teams speed.

Next time you want to suggest people are just evaluating players based on their analytics maybe at least have a half decent idea how they look analytically so you don’t look dumb again suggesting people have been ripping on Haula or Graves because of analytics.

As someone who has for quite some time been worried about Luke’s D at the NHL level I was pleasantly surprised with his defensive work last game. Not perfect but used his skating and size extremely well to close on Carolina’s forwards, take away their space and end plays. And then he was transitioning very well out of the dzone. Couldn’t have asked for much more from him in the dzone. Some textbook examples throughout the game of how good skating D should defend. Was more than just an NHL caliber defender in his first playoff game.
Care to reconsider?

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Could not have said it better.

No way the decision to play him came from the hockey staff.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Yea, the Hockey staff was doing so well in the firat round until upper management had a discussion about Schmid going in. They were also doing quite well in the 2nd series before inserting Luke. If that's the case bye bye Ruff, upper management clearly don't trust him to make the right personnel decisions.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
“Anyone who watches the games with any kind of attention to detail rather than just looking at Twitter highlight clips knows he's not NHL ready yet. He got roasted defensively multiple times in the World Juniors too. Would be an insane move to throw him directly into playoff hockey. But I'll get ripped by certain people for being too negative for saying that.”

sopranos-paulie-gualtieri.gif
Sick gif bro. Love the victory laps after one game where the team potted 8 goals and was under zero pressure.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Luke Hughes rushed the puck 6 times I believe. Twice he evaded the forcheck and started transition. The next time he single handedly walked untouched on the PP. The next time kn the PP he turned it over. The next time he should have drawn a penalty. The last time he turned it over. 4 for 6 success rate against 4 players stalked along the line is quite good.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Sick gif bro. Love the victory laps after one game where the team potted 8 goals and was under zero pressure.
Love the victory lap when the goalie makes zero saves when a defenseman is out there. The whole team got cratered, but sure, touch yourself to the idea that Luke struggled.

You were obviously wrong about how far away from ready he was.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

I like how you took what he said and completely twisted it with "I agree." Luke brought something to the table that we absolutely needed against Carolina. It wasn't some t-shirt company telling Ruff what to do. But on the other hand it's ok to point out his mistakes, I believe that was his point.

Luke needs some time to cook just as Jack did. He can do what he can do no problem, he just needs to figure out what he can't.

I have no doubt he will be one of, if not the best player on this team in a couple years, but he doesn't have the luxury of making the learning gaffs that Jack did in throw away seasons. This series will be won and lost on single mistakes no matter the score and that will be amplified if the mistake is made by a rookie, rightly or wrongly.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Outline the line change, show me a goal you would fault Luke?
I wouldn’t specifically fault Luke for any goals against. He was on for 4 of 6 goals against and had a 21% xGF%.

Kid is going to be special, but also shows how ridiculous the takes are when people watch one 8-4 win that was never close and immediately determine that he should have been in the lineup.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Luke Hughes rushed the puck 6 times I believe. Twice he evaded the forcheck and started transition. The next time he single handedly walked untouched on the PP. The next time kn the PP he turned it over. The next time he should have drawn a penalty. The last time he turned it over. 4 for 6 success rate against 4 players stalked along the line is quite good.
His puck transportation ability and transition game are already elite. That was never in question.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I wouldn’t specifically fault Luke for any goals against. He was on for 4 of 6 goals against and had a 21% xGF%.

Kid is going to be special, but also shows how ridiculous the takes are when people watch one 8-4 win that was never close and immediately determine that he should have been in the lineup.
"It's literally what's happening on the ice LOL"

Again, could not be more excited for Luke, he is going to be insane and I believe better than Quinn very, very soon, but to blindly defend him with out looking at his faults in this game is laughable.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
"It's literally what's happening on the ice LOL"

Again, could not be more excited for Luke, he is going to be insane and I believe better than Quinn very, very soon, but to blindly defend him with out looking at his faults in this game is laughable.
Yep, I’ve been one of Luke’s biggest supporters since before we even drafted him and people were pounding the table for Brandt Clarke instead. He’s going to be very special, better than Quinn.

With that said, he has a lot to clean up in his game, and everyone wants to act like one performance in a rout on Sunday was conclusive evidence that he’s a complete NHL package as of today.

Reactions: TrufleShufle

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Kid is going to be special, but also shows how ridiculous the takes are when people watch one 8-4 win that was never close and immediately determine that he should be in the lineup.

Goal one, Hughes with an absolutely beautiful breakout pass in stride on the tape, if McLeod chips it deep Hughes is off the ice and it is no longer an issue. He still shouldn't have made the change until he saw it go deep.

Goal two, entry is on the opposite side Luke Hughes is in good position and takes the pass, unfortunate bounce right to a Cane who hits the point for a Pesce goal.

Goal three, after a long shift Hughes made a play up to Bratt in the neutral zone, Bratt missed the puck then the Canes flipped it into Hughes corner. Hughes is sticking with his man and Severson hits the guy, disloging Hughes stick in the process. Severson takes himself out of the play instead of marking his man who pucks up the puck, two quick passes and Burns slaps it in. That goal is on Severson
1683685360357.png

Goal 4 Hughes pinched, which is fine because they are down by 4 goals and Hamilton is back to play it one on one. Hamilton is passive allowing Martinook to wire it. Schmid has to make that save but he is cold.

My only fault with Luke through two games is his unwillingness to sneak in from the far point for a backdoor play. Everything I have seen has confirmed he will be a superstar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad