Prospect Info: Luke Hughes - part IV (final)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1683502921506.png

Not a bad company.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
YoU cAn'T jUsT pUt HiM iN tHe PlAyOfFs
“Anyone who watches the games with any kind of attention to detail rather than just looking at Twitter highlight clips knows he's not NHL ready yet. He got roasted defensively multiple times in the World Juniors too. Would be an insane move to throw him directly into playoff hockey. But I'll get ripped by certain people for being too negative for saying that.”

sopranos-paulie-gualtieri.gif

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I thought he played great, definitely a dynamic skater.

Only negative I can think of was that I do think he could've prevented the penalty shot if he skated back harder. Idk if he was gassed at the end of a shift, but he looked lackadaisical coming back

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sometimes he has takes where I go ''WUT?'' and then there's others where I feel like he hears me. Like that Hughes comment just now and his bewilderment with why Minnesota wasn't playing Gustavsson as their starter over Fleury waayyyyyy earlier.

He was still going on in his Wild end of season video yesterday about why they started Fleury for game 2 after Gustavsson stole game 1 and that if they hadn't done that, maybe they're playing Seattle right now instead of Dallas lol.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Certainly has awesome hockey IQ. The way he sees the game and makes passes is something you cannot teach. It's either there or it isn't. Where others put it around the boards he sees the better option and is able to make the play. Of course, it's the same with Jack: The other players on the team will have to learn to expect his magic and that will take a while.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I still can't believe we've had this kid in the press box all playoffs.

Borderline fireable offense.

Can we temper the hyperbole a bit?

I am a fan of Luke but a lot of you making believe that he played a spectacular game are full of it.

He looked good, in fact it was an excellent playoff debut for a 19 year old with no experience....but he also had a couple of bad decisions with the puck. Not just one. He had a giveaway in his own zone that was just a bad decision with a pass directionally that went to a Cane standing along the boards by his lonesome that led to a chance...

He was the only defender with two giveaways in the game. In 14:36 of ice time. 14:36 of ice with 1:33 of PP time ...this is a joke amount of time it's double training wheels and a helmet... I haven't seen his zone starts yet but I'm sure they are 100% one way ..yeah I know, zone starts don't mean anything....sure.

In a close game his play could have easily cost us big, luckily we played with a lead the entire game.

He's going to be good but doing meme thing on a 14:28 game and 1:33 of that PP time with 2 questionable giveaways and the "fireable offense" stuff?....uh ok.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I am a fan of Luke but a lot of you making believe that he played a spectacular game are full of it.

He looked good, in fact it was an excellent playoff debut....but he also had a couple of bad decisions with the puck. Not just one. He has a giveaway in his own zone that was just a bad decision with a pass directionally that went to a Cane standing along the boards by his lonesome that lef to a chance...

He was the only defender with two giveaways in the game. In 14:36 of ice time. 14:36 of ice with 1:33 of PP time ..this is a joke amount of time it's double training wheels and a helmet... I haven't seen his zone starts yet but I'm sure they are 100% one way ..yeah I know, zone starts don't mean anything....sure.

. In a close game his play could have easily cost us big, luckily we played with a lead the entire game.

He's going to be good but doing meme thing on a 14:28 game and 1:33 of that PP time with 2 questionable giveaways and "fireable offense"....uh ok.

Fairly certain the play you are referring to, if it was up the left wing boards, was a perfect pass to Severson that Severson flubbed that went right to a Cane. Hughes also sent a pass up the right wing boards that I forget if it was a turnover or if it went for icing, but it was to an area that Carolina didn't have well-covered - it felt like right play, bad execution. He was making great reads in his zone all game long and was passing quite well.

I agree that it's not a firing offense to have him in the press box and it was easy to see both why this kid has special talents and why a coach might be reluctant to play him - he had very poor coverage of Noesen when there was a play around the net in the 3rd.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Fairly certain the play you are referring to, if it was up the left wing boards, was a perfect pass to Severson that Severson flubbed that went right to a Cane. Hughes also sent a pass up the right wing boards that I forget if it was a turnover or if it went for icing, but it was to an area that Carolina didn't have well-covered - it felt like right play, bad execution. He was making great reads in his zone all game long and was passing quite well.

I agree that it's not a firing offense to have him in the press box and it was easy to see both why this kid has special talents and why a coach might be reluctant to play him - he had very poor coverage of Noesen when there was a play around the net in the 3rd.
Look. I'm not going going to tear him apart for a couple of mistakes....but the lense that his performance is being viewed by is certainly tainted.

Even your post..."great reads all game" He played 13 minutes of ES time....all game long? That whole 13 minutes? Excluding the 2 giveaways?

In that context doesn't "all game long" seem rather ridiculous?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

He looked good, in fact it was an excellent playoff debut for a 19 year old with no experience....but he also had a couple of bad decisions with the puck. Not just one. He had a giveaway in his own zone that was just a bad decision with a pass directionally that went to a Cane standing along the boards by his lonesome that led to a chance...

He was the only defender with two giveaways in the game. In 14:36 of ice time. 14:36 of ice with 1:33 of PP time ...this is a joke amount of time it's double training wheels and a helmet... I haven't seen his zone starts yet but I'm sure they are 100% one way ..yeah I know, zone starts don't mean anything....sure.

In a close game his play could have easily cost us big, luckily we played with a lead the entire game.

He's going to be good but doing meme thing on a 14:28 game and 1:33 of that PP time with 2 questionable giveaways and the "fireable offense" stuff?....uh ok.
You telling someone else to tone down the hyperbole?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You telling someone else to tone down the hyperbole?
I'm just trying to provided a little context in case you see him sit in the near future... which I don't think is at all out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: My3Sons

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Lindy’s words, paraphrased: “We hoped for a good game, but we got a GREAT game.” He was absolutely spectacular.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lindy’s words, paraphrased: “We hoped for a good game, but we got a GREAT game.” He was absolutely spectacular.
Regardless of what you or I think of the performance...Lindy is never in a million years going to say anything negative about a 19 year old former #4 overall in public in his first taste of playoff hockey...

If Lindy truly thinks he was *Great" we should see Luke playing real minutes next game...I suspect we don't see that and I suspect we continue to run with 7 Dmen.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Regardless of what you or I think of the performance...Lindy is never in a million years going to say anything negative about a 19 year old former #4 overall in public in his first taste of playoff hockey...

If Lindy truly thinks he was *Great" we should see Luke playing real minutes next game...I suspect we don't see that and I suspect we continue to run with 7 Dmen.
Bahl played 5 minutes and Lindy openly said that he struggled in his press conference. That tells you what he thought about their respective performances. Obviously he’s not going to be used as a top pairing guy in his first ever playoff game. He was spectacular in the minutes he did play, to my eye, and to Lindy’s.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Look. I'm not going going to tear him apart for a couple of mistakes....but the lense that his performance is being viewed by is certainly tainted.

Even your post..."great reads all game" He played 13 minutes of ES time....all game long? That whole 13 minutes? Excluding the 2 giveaways?

In that context doesn't "all game long" seem rather ridiculous?

One of those giveaways is obviously the pass on the PP that led to the penalty shot. If the other one is the Severson flub, then yeah, great reads in his own zone all game long. And yes, he played the entire game, so 'all game long' is the correct way to put it.

He could've easily thrown cold water on that game if he wanted to, saying that there were a lot of things he liked, etc. I assume they will run with 7 D men as well but if Luke keeps this up, it will be him staying in the lineup and someone else leaving.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bahl played 5 minutes and Lindy openly said that he struggled in his press conference. That tells you what he thought about their respective performances. Obviously he’s not going to be used as a top pairing guy in his first ever playoff game. He was spectacular in the minutes he did play, to my eye, and to Lindy’s.
I don't think Lindy said Bahl struggled...I may have missed it? I saw Lindy say he liked the way Smith and Luke were playing so they stayed with them.

But to me spectacular, great or whatever amazing adjectives you want to use and 13 minutes or 14:36 total just don't jive.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think Lindy said Bahl struggled...I may have missed it? I saw Lindy say he liked the way Smith and Luke were playing so they stayed with them.

But to me spectacular, great or whatever amazing adjectives you want to use and 13 minutes or 14:36 total just don't jive.

so what is your minimum threshold of ES minutes played for a DMan for people to be allowed to say that they had an excellent game? Is it 15? 17?

please provide so we know how to properly comment next time.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Yep, you see the good and the bad with Luke in G3. He made some fantastic offensive plays...and made some mistakes to give it back,.

I would keep him in the lineup, but he needs carefully prescribed deployment.

Reactions: JimEIV

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
so what is your minimum threshold of ES minutes played for a DMan for people to be allowed to say that they had an excellent game? Is it 15? 17?

please provide so we know how to properly comment next time.
I had this question as well but realized he really wanted to argue over some nonsense with no answer rather than talk Hughes with that comment.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad